Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wither Gorey ?

Options
  • 04-05-2004 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

And so it goes :

We (wife, 3 kids) are seriously thinking of selling up in Dublin and moving to Gorey.

I'm hoping to get some advice from others who have left Dublin and made a new start for themselves.

By 'serious' we have put in an offer on a house near the town and are meeting an estate agent this friday to put our home on the market.

Would love to hear from anyone who has done this - especially with primary-school age children.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

from what I can remember, the traffic is terrible on Main St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Yeah your right, the traffic on Goreys' main St is terrible but there is a ring road planned, meant to be starting it shortly!!

Gorey is not a bad town to live in, close to beaches etc and its a pretty lively shopping town!! Schools are also meant to be good. I do have to say though, Gorey as a town doesn't have that many recreational facilities, there is only 1 niteclub, which was only opened last year and there is no cinema, no nothing really!! The reason may be because of the closeness of Courtown which is only 3 miles away (roughly)!!

I wish you and your family the best of luck and let us know how you get on ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

thanks for the replies folks.

I'm aware of the main street traffic but to be honest compared to what I endured this morning it's nothing (!) (yeah, my traffic problem is bigger than yours :p )

Facilities - not sure I agree 100%. Courtown is just down the road and the leisure centre is wonderful. No cinema isn't an issue really - we're not great cinema goers (I have a home cinema).
    I like the pubs and restaurants - fair enough it's not a huge town but has a choice of restaurants. Nightclubs aren't our thing (unless the missus fancies getting herself a toyboy !)

I'm working on getting more information on the schools - I hear good things about the High School (3 almalgamated secondary schools).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Originally posted by shabbyroad
    thanks for the replies folks.

I'm aware of the main street traffic but to be honest compared to what I endured this morning it's nothing (!) (yeah, my traffic problem is bigger than yours :p )

Facilities - not sure I agree 100%. Courtown is just down the road and the leisure centre is wonderful. No cinema isn't an issue really - we're not great cinema goers (I have a home cinema).
    I like the pubs and restaurants - fair enough it's not a huge town but has a choice of restaurants. Nightclubs aren't our thing (unless the missus fancies getting herself a toyboy !)

I'm working on getting more information on the schools - I hear good things about the High School (3 almalgamated secondary schools).

Well as I said, when the ring road is finally built you shouldn't have any major probs with Gorey!!

And yes I did mention that Courtown is just down the road, thats the main reason why Gorey is lacking on that front really!!!

Actually it does have some very nice restaurants, plenty of choice etc!!

Yeah the schools all almagamated there a good while ago and they offer some great PLC courses as well - its right in the heart of the town too, just at the roundabout at Tescos!! Seems to have a good rep, you should look it up on the net and see if you can find out more about it!! Its called Gorey Community School - I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Yeah your right, the traffic on Goreys' main St is terrible but there is a ring road planned, meant to be starting it shortly!!

You will be waiting a long time for that by-pass. the last that I had heard it had been delayed another 2 years. Following years of delay after wrangling about the route of the by pass.

I am from Gorey, it is quickly becoming a suburb of Dublin (I don't know if that is what you are trying to get away from). But good shops, school is okay(I went there) and plenty of pubs. As for cinema, Arklow is 10 minutes drive and Enniscorthy and Wexford are not far for the cinema,it has a theatre though!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Originally posted by misswex

Gorey is not a bad town to live in, close to beaches etc and its a pretty lively shopping town!! Schools are also meant to be good. I do have to say though, Gorey as a town doesn't have that many recreational facilities, there is only 1 niteclub, which was only opened last year and there is no cinema, no nothing really!! The reason may be because of the closeness of Courtown which is only 3 miles away (roughly)!!

I wish you and your family the best of luck and let us know how you get on ok :)

Great choice gorey is an excellent town. In all the parts of the world i have been gorey is by far and away the best town in the world. As you can guess i am born and bread in the town and my family goes back for many generations there.

building on the cinema will begin soon,(been built down at davis saw mill across the way from mace) and the second nite club is just about finished in town.
    traffic is pretty terrible in the town and yes we have been waiting quite some time for the bypass but the plans are made and agreed on now so its just a matter of time.
    the one major worry i would have for you is the over crowding in the secondary school. it is the second biggest school in ireland but with the growth of people moving down its near breaking point. A lot of gorey people are sending there children to near by country primary schools which have smaller classes and generally are a lot better. This problem should also be getting solved soon.

all in all I know many people who moved down and say its the best thing they have done. especially now that there is a commuter train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

thanks for all the replies. Last week we spent a lot of time thinking and weighing up all of the issues and spent the weekend going through the pros and cons.

Bottom line was that while I was keen to move my wife wasn't as keen as I and we agreed that if we both weren't 100% happy then we were staying put.

One thing we found very useful was to write down the pros & cons and share them with each other. We each had different concerns (naturally) and it made us think from both sides. Fortunately we didn't argue once about it.

thanks again everyone

Advertisement