Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satanism in Howth Co.Dublin..

Options
  • 09-01-2004 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

First off im not a satanist.... :ninja:
    im just reserching a bit of history/old news... hope this is the correct forum

im trying to find out something that happened maybe 12 years ago in Howth...
    i was only about 13 years old at the time and an remember reading in the newspaper that an animal (think it was a donkey) was abducted by satanists from a farm/ bit of land on howth head.. and brought to a plce to sacrifice it.. the paper also stated that the proceedures carried out to remove certain internals of the animal were done very profeshionally as if the people had prior medical knowlage..
    they also said that satanist symbols were written on the surrounding walls with the animals blood...

its just something that i had forgotten about years ago, but would like to read on about it now. i used to live where it happened and would just like a bit of education on who what where and when it happened..

thanks

later
    Macker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Cant give you anymore information but I do remember this story, check out the back catalog of the irish times in the ilac library, it may take you hours but eventually you'll find something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It was indeed a donkey cut up with surgical precision - organs had been removed with a definite degree of medical expertise. Wasn't it nicked from the fields below Balkill Rd/Summit Inn? Iirc they didn't find a perp, but thought it more likely some prank of med school level. Will ask round later.

This also reminds me of the time they found lotsa skulls and bones in weird arrangements up the Dub Mtns. People thought of some macabre death rituals going on but it just turned out to be an 'installation' piece by a strange artist fella, Karl A, who was in my school at the time though mainly in his own world.

Also, as an aside Howth has a history. St Nessan 'fought' off Satan (prolly in form of woman) at the Nose of Howth after scrapping from Ireland's Eye and back to Howth and he cast the Devil off the cliffs where the rock opened up a cleavage for him to fall thru. He left an imprint of hinslf on the inside of this cleavage. The rock is called Devil's Rock and the cleavage which can only be reached/entered from the sea does have a pattern which could be the devil at a stretch. The rock is one of the best fishing spots but is only reachable from sea or down a sheer cliff face - the path is only a few inches wide in parts last time I went by foot.

At the top of the cliff is the remains of a cottage/quarry house with a well/spring which has some stories of covens gathering associated with it. There have been gatherings with bonfires but more likely oriented around flagons or tinnies.

There's also curses on the St Lawrence family(Lord Howth) put by Grace O'Malley/Grainne Uaile/Granuaile when she arrived and has given the boot. There's something about them having to lay an extra place at the table and having to keep the gates open at all/most times. Also the boughs of the tree out front of the castle are propped up as when one falls the Lawerence family loses someone.

Robert Anton Wilson also spent a bit of time living in Howth researching Yeats and Joyce among other matters (inspiring the Golden Horde :-))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

real satanists dont use sacrifice, but that sounds quite interesting.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=Satanic+ritual&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=cr%3DcountryIE that is a google.ie ireland search for satanic ritual. i scanned it but i didnt look at it in depth.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There was a case about 5 or 6 years ago of two guys in north Dublin who killled a donkey by driving a metal spike through its head. I believe the donkey had been abducted from a nearby sanctuary and was named either Salt or Pepper.

Yep Salt and Pepper once lived around the grounds of Malahide Castle, until some drunken morons one night thought they had a great idea for some fun. They got a two year sentence for that thuggery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Satanism is just a weird Christian sect. Who cares?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yellow card Yoda.... you know perfectly well that while thats technically true its also fairly inflammatory.... :)

DeV.

I didn't say that all Christian sects were weird, now did I? But Satanism? In the first place, most reports of "Satanism" are themselves inflammatory urban legends. And then there's the application of the label by Christian sects to non-Christians (such as Pagans) in order to revile them, and so on.

An Irish newspaper in 1992 printed a story about an animal that "was abducted by Satanists from a farm/bit of land on Howth Head"?

Come on now.

Satanism is mainly the direct opposite of Christian beliefs. Black versus White. Opposites. And the majority of claims of satanism in Ireland could be connected to Pagan beliefs rather than devil worshipping.

Satanism takes part in the mythology of Christianity: Satan is one of God's angels, and worshipping him is an act of insolence toward the Creator. Right?

Neo-pagans do not believe in the Judeo-Christian God nor in his fallen angel Satan. In the Wiccan variety, a Goddess and a Horned God are often worshipped. The Church took the God's horns and stuck them on Satan centuries ago as they tried to rid Europe of its indigenous religion.

Facts, DeVore... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Actually, Satanism is merely self-indulgence and the refusal to worship a deity. Devil-worship is what is normally(erroneously)referred to as Satanism, i.e. the worship of Satan.

<edit: whoops, Klaz already stated the above correction. My apologies.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

I'm a Reverend of a certain church (not any christian one's), so you do that math. See my signature and all is explained, i've used it for a long long time and i think it is the best way of describing who i worship.

Make your own unlearned conclusions, all your treads are baseless and are nowhere close to the truth.

Make your own unlearned conclusions, all your treads are baseless and are nowhere close to the truth.

Not quite. By that reasoning, all threads are true, and at the same time false. It lends the theory/concept that time/religion/faith/belief/fact are all constant and at the same time fluid. Basically, its a way to get around trying to explain anything.

My personal feelings. Why bother? We might find out when we die, and if not, i doubt we'll care too much abt it.

I'm an agnostic. I believe in the possibility of a god. I don't believe in religion either Christian, Satanic, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Billy-Joe

all your treads are baseless and are nowhere close to the truth.

You've really spooked ME out :-(

Most of the 'satantists' in Ireland are just stupid spooky kid teenagers with too much snakebite and time on their hands. But some of the stuff that went on at Howth is for real....well, as real as worshipping something that is as non-existent as God can be.

Most of the 'satantists' in Ireland are just stupid spooky kid teenagers with too much snakebite and time on their hands.

I dabbled in the Occult when i was younger, and somewhat still am interested/practicing. Some aspects can be quite..... freaky. Still, not all occultism is associated with Gods/Goddesses.
    But some of the stuff that went on at Howth is for real....

The key is belief. Anything you do that you wholely believe in has power, and therefore can be effective. The problem with occultism is that most people don't believe it can work. I don't really know what went on in Howth, and as such i'm not going to base any opinion on thirdhand knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Originally posted by eth0_
    You've really spooked ME out :-(

Most of the 'satantists' in Ireland are just stupid spooky kid teenagers with too much snakebite and time on their hands. But some of the stuff that went on at Howth is for real....well, as real as worshipping something that is as non-existent as God can be.

Satan only exists in the Christian religions and just because someone has loads piercings, long hair and wears black doesn't make them a satanist.

By definition "Satanists" are a contradiction in terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭ARKANGEL

the greatest trick satan ever managed to pull off was to convince most people that he didnt exist...lets say no more:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

Originally posted by tricky D
    There's something about them having to lay an extra place at the table and having to keep the gates open at all/most times. Also the boughs of the tree out front of the castle are propped up as when one falls the Lawerence family loses someone.

The part about the extra place setting in th castle is true. I live beside Sutton Castle and hte reason for this is:

The Lord who lived in the castle was living alone when one night he was scared ****less of an apparition of Grace O'Malley who appeared to him in his bedroom a couple of years after she had died and basically told him that she was coming to kill him. He ran out of the house screaming and never returned. Ever since the servants have laid an extra plac for him(a tradition carried on by the restaurant in the castle when it was open) in case he returned and the same with the gates, they were to bew left open for his return. But, he disappeared and was never seen again.

The bit about the branches is a load of cock, tha was made up about ten years ago by one of the chefs in the kitchen(I used to work there).

The bit about the branches is a load of cock, tha was made up about ten years ago by one of the chefs in the kitchen(I used to work there).
    Agreed, the tree would a bit too old though. I think the chef just passed the myth on as I heard it quite a bit longer than 10 years ago. There was also another myth that there is a secret tunnel to Ireland's Eye in that depression 20/30 metres to the east of the tree - any insights on that one Chunks???
    Also Sutton Castle, Corr blimey I didn't know they changed the name;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The bit about the branches reminds me of Fore Abbey. One of its "miraculous" features is the Tree That Won't Burn. Its always supposed to have three branches to represent the holy trinity. Unfortunately two of them died. So somebody tied on two more. Then The Water That Won't Boil (Wonder #4) evaporated. It's like Father Ted out there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

I'm just here to say, if there any so called cults in Bray. Leave now, or I will authorise armed force to make you leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Yahweh was partial to an oul animal sacrifice himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

WTF? Exon infracted for stupid vamping. B.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement