Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise ? might be moving to denmark

Options
  • 05-02-2004 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

A job opportunity might be coming up which would allow me (and my family) to move to Denmark.
    In anticipation of this I'm doing a little research - I certainly don't want to waste anyone's time by applying and then finding out I really don't want to relocate my family.

What I've read so far is very appealing - the attitude toward family , the safe environment and welfare system for starters.

Can anyone suggest some good reading/website or perhaps there's someone here who has done this very thing and can advise.

Moving abroad is something my wife & I have done in the past -we emigrated to the USA about 14 years ago and have been back in Ireland for 10 years. Our children are aged between 5 and 9. I could relocate to the USA (I work for an American company) but been there, done that and I'm not convinced I want to raise our children in the USA. Friends have just sold their house and are moving to France - sounds great but I'm not sure I'd survive in the job market there. Going to Denmark would be the result of a career move so there would not be any concern about getting employment and indeed my employer would provide a certain amount of assistance.

Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity, and I envy you. I was in Copenhagen for a couple of nights about 3 years ago. It's a beautiful city; clean, safe and the people are really nice, especially the women:)

I suppose you have to put your children first though, it would be a totally new start for them too. New schools, friends and of course the language, which would be difficult for them at their age. Would it be a permanent move? If it was only for a year or two then it probably wouldn't be worth disrupting their lives so much. How does your wife feel about it?

You said your employer would provide assistance...does that mean housing? It would probably be a good idea to rent out your house in Ireland (assuming you own one) for a year maybe, just in case things don't work out there if you decide to go, so at least you'll have that to fall back on.

I'm not aware of any sites which could help, I'm sure there are plenty.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

well, I'll know more in the next couple of weeks. I'm reading online and the more I read the more I like.
    My wife is very happy with the idea and our kids will do fine - the language issue I see as an opportunity. For the kids it'll be such a great thing to do - they'll learn so much and have some incredible experiences.

I'm not sure if it would be a permanent move - maybe only 3-4 years. My employer would help with relocation. I expect we'd keep our home in Dublin and rent it. It's still our home - when we get back we could redecorate and even consider moving.

Google throws up so much. I guess what I need is boards.dk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

i've been to copenhagen a few times over the last few years, each time it impresses me as a pretty vibrant and cosmopoliton city. everything is really well laid out and public transport is fantastic. only a short train journey to southern sweden!. almost everyone there speaks english of some degree, so the transition wont be too difficult. hope it works out well.

dw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 markisevil

I moved to Sweden just over two years ago and love it. Denmark's a bit more Irish than Sweden, I'd say -- or Copenhagen is, anyway. One website that's worth checking is http://www.amerikanska.com/ -- even if it is more for Americans moving to Sweden...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

sounds like a great opportunity, grab it with both hands and then you can never look back and wonder "if i had of"

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Originally posted by markisevil
    I moved to Sweden just over two years ago and love it. Denmark's a bit more Irish than Sweden, I'd say -- or Copenhagen is, anyway. One website that's worth checking is http://www.amerikanska.com/ -- even if it is more for Americans moving to Sweden...

Markisevil, I'm thinking of doing the same thing myself later this year. I've never been there, but I'm planning a couple of trips before I make my mind up. Was there much involved in getting residency? I'm work in IT - don't suppose you know what the industry is like over there? Should I go somewhere and learn a bit of Swedish?

Cheers,

Si.

Originally posted by SuprSi
    Markisevil, I'm thinking of doing the same thing myself later this year. I've never been there, but I'm planning a couple of trips before I make my mind up. Was there much involved in getting residency? I'm work in IT - don't suppose you know what the industry is like over there? Should I go somewhere and learn a bit of Swedish?
    No hassel at all; for EU citizens, a residency permit is just a formality. The application can be made in English through the embassy or from the 'net. Migrationsverket have most of their website in English.

IT jobs are thin on the ground at the moment. The job market here is fairly flat all 'round, but it's picking up. Just like Ireland, around 60% of the jobs available are never advertised, so it's worth making contacts.

It's always nice to learn some Swedish. There was -- three years ago -- only one Swedish class in Ireland, but it was fun! It's not always essential for work, especially if you get a job with a large multinational (Ericsson, Tetra Pak, Volvo, ...) because they are used to working through English, but you'll miss out on the coffee break conversations. It's not hard to pick up a useful working vocabulary, but the grammar is a pain in the arse. The Swedish gov't pays for new immigrants to take Swedish classes, but these are daytime classes, and therefore probably won't suit you. There are evening classes, though; I took an evening class twice a week for the first six months or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Originally posted by markisevil
    but the grammar is a pain in the arse.
    Hmm, I can't agree with that :) The grammar is as close to English as you'll find in a foreign language.

And, if it's Copenhagen the original poster is thinking of moving to, go for it. It is one of the most pleasant cities to live in. I spent six months there once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

And does anyone know what the IT industry is like in Copenhagen? I'm not too fussy about where I go, just as long as most speak a bit of English to give me time to get to grips with their one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Well thanks everyone for the info.
    The job spec has changed. If I do get the job (I'm not the only candidate) it'll be based in Dublin with frequent travel to Denmark. Nice balance I guess.

At least we have had the conversation : if an opportunity comes up (because of the job) to move there for even a few months we'd go for it.

thanks again everyone for the input and suggestions !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

There's a place called Christiania in Copenhaugen, might want to keep yer kids away from there :)

Lets just say that it's more amsterdam than amsterdam..

There was a massive police raid there a couple of days ago, trying to stamp out hash trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

never heard of this area in Köpenhamn before, i guess all big cities have a dodgy area to them with Denmark being no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Isnt christiania what Oslo used to be called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

Originally posted by naitkris
    never heard of this area in Köpenhamn before, i guess all big cities have a dodgy area to them with Denmark being no different.

from what i know its located in the centre of the city, across from the royal palace. its a little community on old defense barracks that are being squatted on. never got a chance to visit it the few times i was in copenhagen.

dw

Advertisement