Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday night Chess

Options
  • 25-11-2003 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭

May as well see if I can get the ball rolling.

I don't see Doyles on College Green having a problem with a few people sitting about playing chess as long as they're drinking a bit. If there's some interest I'll ask the barman.

Who would be in to bringing a few boards along there this Sunday evening and playing a few games. Would definitely be good to get some practice in before any kind of a ladder starts cos it's been a couple of years since I played anywhere near regular.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I'm not sure the pub thing will work for the ladder dude. It would seem too nerdy for one thing and most people wouldn't want to play in a smokey pub with people starring at them. Also the booze and noise would be too distracting. If you want practice games you can always play on yahoo or mszone. And it's much easier to show up and re-schedule online games. There is of course no probs if you want to organise this just purely for social games if people want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

If you want to meet what about a cafe? Lots of late ones about town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Cafe would be fine by me. I don't see the problem with some ladder matches being played in a pub/cafe. No different from people playing online.

As for looking like a nerd in a pub - grow up. Who cares if someone stops to look for a minute while you're playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

I don't know about looking a nerd - I sit in QUB Bunatee bar downstairs in the student's union and seem to pull quite a crowd, most of whom whisper 'look at them, they're playing chess' and then want a game when I am finished the current one - I have actually had people buy me drinks to keep me there, which is just dandy lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Cafe Mocha in Rathmines and Stephen's Green used to have chess boards I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

there's a cafe on capel street with a great board in it....well used to dunno if it's still there

Gonna bump this as pretty much any sunday evening suits me for this.

Those of you who are interested in playing casual chess (I think the ladder is gonna be tied to yahoo or summat) in a pub/cafe in dublin city centre let yourselves be known. A lot of us could probably use the practise before we get our asses kicked by the GMs in hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

Originally posted by henbane
    Gonna bump this as pretty much any sunday evening suits me for this.

Those of you who are interested in playing casual chess (I think the ladder is gonna be tied to yahoo or summat) in a pub/cafe in dublin city centre let yourselves be known. A lot of us could probably use the practise before we get our asses kicked by the GMs in hiding.

i'm interested, could definitely use the practise!

as for venues, someone mentioned cafe moka above, i think they used to have people playing some form of board games in there some nights so that could work.
    or maybe book the back room in mahaffys by pearse station, that doesnt cost anything and all manner of eccentricity goes on in there so a few games of chess would go fairly unnoticed :ninja: we'd have to bring own boards of course.

If you're still interested, definitely could make it in to mahaffys.

Just sent DapperGent to smyths to buy a crappy board. If he manages to find one, we should both be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Crappy chess board acquired.

I'll be there with henbane for pints and poor quality chess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

i'll head along also to mahaffys sure, what sort of time are people thinking?

About 8 o clock.

Come one come all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i may pop along if i can find someone to come with (i dunno u people! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

We don't bite dude.

Might bark a bit though.

Myself and DapperGent made it along - Chess was played, pints were had, trash was talked.

Will probably do the same thing in mahaffys this week if folks feel like coming along for some social chess.

Advertisement