Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house with Pyrite issue fixed: green cert issued

Options
  • 26-11-2023 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

In the market for a property. It listing says that property comes with the Benefit of a "Green Certificate" and exempt from LPT for the next 6 years.

Can we be sure that the pyrite issue is fixed? Is it safe to buy such a property.

Love the way the agents mask something and present it as a good thing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭suave.4u

no one?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,854 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pyrite came in numerous forms tbh some of it highly able to remedy. I know some estates had floors pulled up throughout and reinstalled with foundations checked.

Best bet is to check property price register for recent sales and maybe reach out to the new owners of their experience with the repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Personally, I wouldn't touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭suave.4u

thx guys, we did not proceed. many in the estate seem to be selling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why. Once it's remediated it shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Because it is a potential issue that could come back. Maybe it would all be fine, but I would take the risk myself. That's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 igoree

Doesn't the Green Cert mean that the property is pyrite free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Wouldnt bother me. If its fixed its fixed. At least you know it was found and fixed rather than not knowing if its there. 2 houses near my Dads built 19 years ago Pyrite just showed up last year. Both are empty now for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you had the choice of two cars, one crashed and repaired and one not crashed, which would you buy.

I wouldn't touch, its to big a purchase to have a ? over

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Remember those "Homebonded" houses? The material were garunteed and the workmanship? When the Pyrite question came up, Homebond were nowhere to be seen. Now we all know there were loads of houses built in the Celtic Tiger and dodgy crafts men were used, Dodgy materials, Apprentices were forced through college.

Premiums were paid on houses and when Homebond were called up they wringed their hands of it. I think this Green certificate isnt worth the paper it is written on. In the words of Podge and Rodge "I wouldnt touch it with yours". If anything goes wrong with it, the Seller, Estate agent and cert provider will be long gone.

• Advertisement

Fairly silly method of looking at things.

Depends on damage type and location.

Then depends on repair and by whom and assessment.

Finally value.

So I guess you'd miss out on value and disregard certified fixed and assessed items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Dante

For something as important and expensive as a house, why would you take that risk? I wouldn't go near it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Allinall

You're taking a risk with every house you potentially buy.

If you know there has been an issue, and are satisfied it has been resolved, then that lessens the overall risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

absolutely - Pyrite can appear quickly after a build or as someone else mentioned can take 20 years or so to show its signs- all depends on how much bad material was used and where it was used.

There appears to be an industry of forced certification for buyers that costs them a lot to employ professionals like surveyors and engineers mandated to sign off on buildings before mortgage drawdown but without the accountability when issues then arise later - I know there’s a housing shortage and in counties like Donegal a massive issue with many houses - but I still wouldn’t take the risk

We got an extension, the roof has 25 year guarantee, the roofer is gone, if there is problem I've to pay to get it fixed. Same with these houses. The pyrite cert is worthless, if there is a problem, how do you get it fixed, who pays? If you buy the house, you are taking on a huge risk so that has to be reflected in the price and you'll have the same problem if you want to sell it.

You'd also need to check if you can get home insurance.

So what your saying basically is don't buy

any house at all.

For clarity the premise of your argument is there are no guarantees in life.

Which is a fine standpoint but that's what your saying trust no one. Houses are all **** certifications are meaningless. Surely his applies to anything in any home across the land.

Because some people need homes and have a budget.

If you had a house that had a pyrite involved subfloor which was dug out and replaced then you'd know the origin and remedy. As with anything information is important.

Nope I'm not saying that but I wouldn't pay anywhere near full market value for a repaired pyrite house .Did home bond or the government pay for the pyrite redress scheme? The certificate in only worth something if it's backed up with a guarantee that they will pay out for repairs if a problem is found

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

I dont know where the pyrite was used but I know Donegal, Ashbourne and Balbriggan were hit fairly bad. Everyone got big fast easy money in the Celtic Tiger and no one did the checks and balances. It happened in construction, banking, everywhere. There is no Homebond, no government help or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Op has said they have moved on.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless it was an amazing house at 30% below market rate or something.

• Advertisement

Interesting, I never mentioned full market price. Why bother replying with that?

Advertisement