Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think they took the whip, even before the ridiculous UCUNF era

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Ahwell

There’s loads of data to show how things improved for the “poor citizens of the Uk” under the last Labour government and declined again once the Tories got back in. I expect the same to happen again.. I don’t think Starmer is particularly disliked. I personally think he will make a competent PM. That alone will be a big step up from the dross that was Sunak, Truss, Johnson and May.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. Blair may be irrevocably tainted by Iraq but he accomplished much good as well. An ideologically pure Labour party that stays irrelevant is of no use to anyone.

There's a "falling apart" feeling I get from living here now. Rivers being filled with waste, the NHS somehow getting even worse, a government that can only virtue signal, etc. If a Starmer government can improve anything, it'll be reason enough to vote for him.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Shoog

Starmer is the hand picked front man for New Labour 2 so if you liked it last time then you probably like the rerun.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Pffft.

There's no 4D chess going on here. Starmer's little stunt is nothing more than a petty little jab at Sunak at a time when nothing of the sort needed to be done and it won't be seen as a smart little play by most people who'd traditionally vote Labour. Frankly, it's a stupid move that'll probably do Starmer more damage in the long run, because many people are already wondering what Starmer's "Labour" are supposed to be about. And yes, the Labour Party are supposed to have some **** principles. Most people want more than just a flip side of the same coin. They want to see some real change happening in the UK.

Much of the "criticism of Starmer" comes from the fact that he's a very shady, blank, slate. Not because "real Labour ideologues" are harking back to the days of Clement Attlee or any of that bollocks talk. Ordinary people, rightly, want to know what he stands for or if he has anything to him other than "I'm not a Tory, pinky swear", because he's going to be the next bloody PM!

What Starmer should have done was to politely refuse Elphicke entry into the party on the grounds that the party's PRINCIPLES don't coincide with hers. That would, at least, have sent a good message to Labour voters, many of whom are already shaking their heads at him daily.

As for "where's the real Labour Party in Ireland", they're dead…and they're dead because they sold themselves out to Fine Gael. The closest party we have to a Tory party in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The absurd thing is Elhicke isn't even popular with right wing Tories. Lets look at social media which is a decent barometer of Tories popularity and reach when it comes to their bases, Andrea Jenkyns a troll has 80k twitter followers and I have seen her go viral numerous times over the years unfortunately because for better or worse right wingers like her. Elphicke has 9000 twitter followers ffs.

Ignoring how repugnant she is, the women is not even popular with right wing tories ffs, so no while it won't hurt Keir , this stunt was not needed whatsoever.

Post edited by Rjd2 on

Well I can't speak about how popular she is with anyone and all I remember her from was when she tried to blame the victims of her husband's sexual assault and how she took over his seat when "went away".

But, irrespective of all that, she truly seems like an absolutely reprehensible character & inviting her into the party is a very bad look indeed. What it says to a lot of people is that maybe Starmer's politics is closer to the Conservatives than was suspected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He is absolutely irrevocably tainted and deserves to be, but the country also worked far better for the majority of the people under him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They are on a wind up at this stage. How Dodds can sit there with a straight face is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Surely the smart thing to do was to publicly turn Elphicke down (maybe even arrange to have some correspondence with her "leaked"). Once the conversation started, they should have strung her along initially, then thrown her under a bus. It would have bought Starmer a lot of credibility with non-Tory voters and would have been a proper signal of intent.

It also would have made it difficult for her to remain on the Tory benches, and it would look very bad for the Tories if they continued to have her after she discussed joining the enemy. Sunak probably would have kept her but that would only have further highlighted his weak leadership. Labour could have got the parliamentary gain without pissing off their base.

Practically all other strategies here would have been better than the one that Labour has chosen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Maybe he has weighed up the numbers and concluded that any loss of credibility with non-conservatives is worth the price of getting some soft-tories on board. FPTP etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,339 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No. If he treated her like that then no other Tory would approach Labour to sound them out about defecting, for fear of being abused and exploited in the same way. His only options were (a) welcome her into the party, or (b) privately rebuff her approaches and say nothing about it in public.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect the story that the majority of the public are hearing is "another Tory jumps ship to Labour" as to opposed to any salient details about who Elphicke actually is. Though time will tell on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

This I think. Its almost a pure numbers game. Keep trying to shrink the majority to the point that they can go for no confidence vote and force election on Rishi

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah i think its purely numbers and hoping they can embarrass him into an election sooner than the mandated limit hes likely to go for.

I also think they should have quietly denied her though as her opinions and actions are miles removed from being even close to acceptable as a labour member.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,324 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not a hope the numbers shrink enough before time runs out.

If an election is called against Sunak's wishes it will be because of an internal Tory heave and not because the majority has been lost.

That is wishful thinking. Also selling your soul to the devil when there has to be an election within the next 7 months is frankly ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There would be nothing wrong with making it known publicly, either officially through the party or through back channels, that an MP discussed defecting from one party to another. It is a fairly major matter and could fundamentally alter the balance of power and/or bring down a government. She was only considering defecting for her own selfish (and likely vindictive) reasons, Labour would certainly be entitled to also use it for their own selfish (and vindictive) reasons.

Given all that we've seen from the Tories, (including keeping a register of things to blackmail their own MPs with) and their client press, Labour hanging a disloyal (and generally reprehensible) Tory out to dry would be far from a low point.

If an MP is willing to open those discussions, they really should be committed to leaving their current party regardless of whether they are accepted into the other party or not. I would say that a defection should lead to a by-election, particularly in the UK where people often vote for the party rather than the candidate.

I listened to Starmers speech in Dover gloating over his new recruit. What a snivelling drone of a man. Dull would be a compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You say dull as I'd it's a bad thing but the majority of us want dull.

We had Johnson, we had Trump and look how they turned out, always playing up to the camera and spouting shìte for attention.

I dont want my politicians to be boorish buffoons constantly gaslighting and telling lie after lie after lie, dull is good, dull means they are quietly getting on with the job at hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,324 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If he was to go down in history as the Labour John Major (personality wise) would that be such a bad thing.

It's what England needs after close to 30 years of ego maniacs.

'constantly gaslighting and telling lie after lie after lie'

Starmer does this though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just want government by adults at this point. The last one seems to have been Theresa May and her attempt to reform the care sector. Johnson partied like Caligula, Truss treated the country like a petri dish and Sunak is pandering to the Tommy Robinsons.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

In fairness, though, the opposite of "dull" isn't always the likes of Trump or Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That's true but when they call him "dull" it's because they're comparing him to the likes of Johnson, Same when they call Biden dull in the US.

No he is absolutely dull. No comparison to Johnson is implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,565 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What do you want? Jokes. A dirty Limerick? Maybe a best man style speech?

He is a politician. Talking about serious issues. Issues that require plenty of reading, understanding of reams of information and solutions which require careful consideration and in many cases opting for least worst options.

They should be dull.

It absolutely is. Starmer cultivates the image he does because he wants to be contrasted with Johnson.

Can you name another MP who had discussions about defecting to one of the major parties and who was "outed" in this fashion by that party?

• Advertisement

You don't have to be dull to be a competent animated politician. Charisma is one of the main qualities required in a politician and that doesn't mean been a jack the lad. I would argue that Tony Blair had charisma without debasing the office.

Advertisement