Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym for runners

Options
  • 03-05-2024 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

I’m sure this has been discussed before but with search the way that it is it’s not easy find specific threads.

I just wondering of the seasoned runners here, who goes to the gym regularly and trains legs?

What sort of sets/reps and exercises do you do to compliment your running?

I normally do 3 sets of 8-10 reps. Routine is normally squats, split squats, seated calf raises, leg press, prone hamstring curls and standing calf raises.

interested to hear from others, esp with regards reps/heavy/light etc

Cheers

Post edited by Slideways on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cormac1111

Hi,

Whilst not specifically answering your question, I would recommend Richard Blagrove's book, 'Strength and Conditioning for Endurance Athletes'. I base my gym work on his advice. He has spoken on a number of podcasts too, so might be worth a search for him there.

You could get advice from a lot of sources but, in my opinion, listening to too many sources can cause confusion. Blagrove has the qualifications and his advice seems pretty sound. Somewhere to start, anyway.

As they say, don't let the search for a perfect plan get in the way of a good plan. Seems what you're doing already isn't a bad plan.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Slideways

Thanks for the info and the encouragement.

There’s some very mixed messages in regard to weights and reps. I’ll give the book a go and see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I wouldn't get to caught up in the weeds of sets and reps tbh.

The fact that you are doing some resistance training is going to benefit you to some degree, to what degree would depend on your ultimate goal. If you want to get the "Arnie" look then you could focus more on sets and reps. If you're trying to increase force production, tendon strength etc, and running is your priority, then just keep doing what you're doing.

Amazingly enough the evidence for strength training to reduce injuries is weak, excuse the pun🤣🤣.

Of course this doesn't mean there's no benefit, just maybe not the benefit some people think.

Awaiting a barrage of, but strength training reduce my injuries?. In 3,2,1

https://www.outsideonline.com/health/training-performance/strength-training-running-injury-prevention/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0MT5TIv8a-bgwwPvsPkxWgBhA2GBjh6abNNjXRmxOQ-tc99SPQ3Lep8Z0_aem_AZwpilMNyBcNuSQSeqV3Z3IUa9k4CRPsWf4mlYOvAPd7dENZcilQ9Nx3OId-7SGXytVXsu0hPKrxfDTHOaaNBAcs

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Stephem Scullion has quite a few videos on this up on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MuchoTrails

I follow a two day routine, both full body. If time permits I'll do warmup sets and aim for 8 to 12 reps. I.e. if I used a 10kg dumbbell last week and could do 10 reps, I'll go for 12 today. And when I go do 12 with feeling I could do more I'll move up 12.5kg for 8 the next week.

I think there are few important factors

1. Progression

2. Single leg work

3. Compound movements

Also do a pilates and yoga class a week too. Happy training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Slideways

I watched a recent video of his. Some good tips.

He doesn’t appear to go too heavy with his squats, that was one of my questions I really wanted to know with what peeps here did.

I’m about 70kg and do 3x8 @100kg but seeing Scullion only do 60 made me question my methods. Can lift more but def cannot run that fast haha

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Runster

He says himself that he has no flexibility so just goes down that far for squats etc.

Imo flexibility is something you learn to do gradually which is something he's not really interested in.

Same with weight, he's more interested in getting sessions done thank lifting heavy which is fair enough when you're making your money from running.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This is a go to wind down routine at Lusk AC's S&C class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I find a visit to a sports oriented physio every so often is useful, they'll usually find imbalances and suggest areas for you to work on,

I do squats myself but suspect for running mpre specific single leg squats are probably better, holding a dumbell and maybe put something behind you (like a bench) to touch against as you bottom out so you can compare sides etc,

Some core work? There's a variety of plank type exercises that you can incorporate dumbell rows etc into

If you download an app called press reader you'll get free access if you sign up for a library account , all free no scam, the app then has free runners monthly magazine and it has a section every month suggesting running specific exercises, if you had the time you could download last 6 months editions of it and flick to relevant part and find a few bits of interest,

There's a fitness section on this website that is more gym / strength focused, you might get some tips if asking in there too

Advertisement