Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doireann's gone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Callan saying it looks like she will be focusing on her podcast and working outside RTE where maybe "the rules will be less restrictive for her"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭squonk

No fan but if she walked of her own accord then fair play. She has more guts than I ever gave her credit for.

As usual though either she got a better offer or was invited to vacate the position.

Who knows really. It's all a bit of a mystery how Dan Healy thinks.

Keith Walsh was just let go, I am sure he had some farewell tale before he discovered he might actually have been an employee.

Stephen Byrne and Tara Kumar "decided" to go to look at new opportunities abroad.

Louise McSharry was at least honest that she'd been dropped.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9 viwimi78

Her last show is on 2fm's 45th birthday. Perhaps another revamp is happening? It's also 5 years since most of the current schedule was put in place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 viwimi78

Feargal D'Arcy is surely due to get a weekday slot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Wow, I'm very surprised.

Is there that much money in podcasting that she'd walk away from a handy gig with the national broadcaster?

Donncha's Rise and Shine

Donncha O'Callaghan smooth voice will slowly wake listeners up as they being their Day, helped by Carl who brings a bit of the madness to the show.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I presume no one under 40 listens to 2FM apart from maybe the sports programme?

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

😂 I presume no one listens to 2FM, in particular their sports programme. Game Rip-off the ball!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Is she done with RTE or will the DWTS gig continue? I could see her ditching the early mornings if the TV work is as lucrative with comparably less work however “focusing on a podcast” doesn’t sound like someone switching to TV. I’d also imagine DWTS would be a good vehicle for 2FMs next rising star.

Did we find with both Tubs and C Byrne that TV work wasn't all that lucrative! But when she's on the TV she's not working for RTÉ.

Can't believe that Callan said its too restrictive now, Greed is good.

______

Yesterday

Fair point. I suppose the 2FM gig is the bread and butter then. Doesn’t sound like she’d pack that in of her own volition. On balance, travelling and working on a podcast sounds like it wasn’t her idea to leave. On the bright side, the weather is getting nice and the sister, Aoibhin is married to a guy who has a B lonely hotel by the sea in Spanish Point in Clare. She could always bunk up there for a few weeks and enjoy the fine weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Ill miss her in the morning, Found her a good bit of craic with the lads and was a good presenter. Id imagine the lads would need to get another woman in as I think it needs a woman voice.

Please god no!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Guess the wedding freebies are worth more. She was pushing the boundaries with her antics, there was a townhall a few months back where it was made clear she wasn't popular amongst staff

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Always felt having 3 of them hosting a breakfast show was a bit indulgent. Nearly every other station has 2 hosts. Maybe it will see the end of that God awful hidden camera show aswell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭amlinopta

All three breakfast show presenters part of the NK stable, Noel very involved with the podcasts as reported last year in Evoke:

"When Doireann hosted the live version of show at the Bord Gáis Energy Theatre in Dublin last April she offered 2FM listeners the opportunity to snag tickets.

The podcast shows are a separate venture between Doireann and talent agent Noel Kelly with tickets costing around €46.50 per person."

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Freer to accept freebies now 😠

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

the usual way of 2fm in sacking someone is to simply kick them out of the building before their next show, so her being able to announce her departure like this suggests its probably her decision. She is maybe staying on with Dancing with the Stars so keeping a connection with RTE anyway.

I would occasionally listen to the show between 6 and 7 if i'm on the road and it seems like the format hasn't changed that much - shout-outs to the early risers a quiz just after 7, "retro tunes" around 7.20 - which they were doing three years ago. Then again Ian Dempsey hasn't really changed his running order in 20 years so perhaps that is what people want at that hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

It had definitely gotten lazy, you could nearly pick which songs they would play before they played them…I remember they played the same song at 8.05am almost every day for a week at one stage, I thought I was in some weird groundhog day, either that or one of them had lost a bet and they were doing this till someone noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

I can't see DWTS lasting too long either for her. It's doing a Glenroe on them at the minute. They'd decided to end it and only gave it a new season cause the viewing figures are around 478k but they keep mentioning how expensive it is for them.

The minute they get a decent justification it's gone.

This smacks of they won't be renewing her contract and she's been given the chance to say she's leaving IMO, looks and sounds better for potential sponsors and deals for herself rather than being "let go"

It depends on what face you want to put on the decision to go, as I say both Tara Kumar and Stephen Byrne left to "pursue other projects"!

Ian was 26 years ago, different media landscape, and not long after Marty had defected to Century.

Here is Keith Walsh "taking a leap of faith"

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/5902687/dj-keith-walsh-leaving-rte-2fm-seven-years-leap-of-faith/

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Yes, but are brands going to be as generous when she doesn't have the platform of a daily radio show? (I agree with whoever said they don't see her staying long with DWTS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Gloria Salty Streptomycin

sure her godfather will get her a job at today fm if it goes south

Laura Fox will be gunning for her spot … wonder if zamp will be next out

• Registered Users Posts: 14 onemoreopinion

Who is her godfather?

Things seem to move so quickly in there I can't believe she has been with them 5 years? To be honest the only presenters I have missed that have left are Chris and Ciara but mostly their night time show. The rest I haven't even heard in years, too painful.

I never rated them on 2fm but Tara is on BBC now and Stephen is on Kyle and Jackie O station Kiss so I am sure 2fm will probably try get them back because RTE always do that just because someone did something somewhere else.

They need to scrap it and give gold a licence.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I feel that Tara is on and off BBC, not sure if Stephen has a full time position on Kiss, but both basically went abroad with nothing really planned.

Iano is her godfather.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Gloria Salty Streptomycin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Who's this Doireann one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It looks more like her contract was let run out than anything else. Not buying it at all that she is wilfully leaving to pursue a podcast as the radio show is her prime promotional vehicle and solid wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Dan Healys statement on her leaving was overly effusive, which makes me think she left of her own accord. But it's such a strange one, because on the other hand I can't imagine she's leaving a cushy number like this with just having a podcast to fall back on. She did just buy a house and get engaged.

However, I listen to the show and think she's brilliant, so I'll miss her from the airwaves. RTE won't find someone as good to fill that slot. A natural at radio and the chemistry with Carl and Donncha is off the charts. (Took me a while to warm to Carl Mullan, I'll admit)

My guess is that Laura Fox will step in there, but the show won't be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What podcast has she to leave a primetime radio slot to focus on? Laughs of your Life where she hasn't released an episode since Dec last year or Doireann and Friends which she finished up in Aug last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Tbf on the house her father seemed to be over the entire renovation and everyone I know that follows her said it seemed like the majority of the fixings and furnishings and God knows what else was all gifted so who knows.

It is Dublin though so the shell was probably a mortgage in itself.

Unless the fiancé has the house with her, doesn't he come from money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Where is Stephen Byrne now? TBH I thought he would end up an RTE lifer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

indeed, I think Ciara Kiing is filling in on Rising time this week, so despite whatever happened with the Chris & Ciara show she is still on good terms within the Radio Building

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Maybe she’s going to try out the Marrisge Bar to see what it was like!

Not being funny but I heard Joanne McNally on a promo on BBC Radio 2. I was always under the impression the BBC hired actual talent so not sure what Joanne is doing there but maybe Doireann sees herself on a similar trajectory?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 themurph36

Seeems she wanted out. Laura Fox next cab off the rank? Either that or they"ll scrap the 3 presenter concept and start over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Yeah I could see Laura getting the nod if they decide to keep the format and replace Doireann. I think she was in covering recently. I could see Carl wanting to stay on but not sure about Donners. Either way there’ll be a shake up of sorts, you’d imagine.

• Advertisement

raises a question why three is needed - could see them moving the Johnnies there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭its_steve116

There hasn't been anything said about Donncha or Carl leaving.

Donnacha will be fine, just shove him in a Rugby/sports type shows, Carl doesn't have much options he goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭howareyakid

No, but you always get the feeling breakfast radio isn’t a long-term gig for everyone, what with the early starts etc. On top of other commitments they have on, particularly in the case of Donncha with his punditry, this could be the natural breaking up of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,377 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think it's some podcast or other maybe? She was on Ellis James and John Robins recently plugging it too. The difference is she has a profile in the UK especially with doing Taskmaster.

I think there are a few things that you have to remember about where presenters/hosts/dj/celebrities are in their careers. You have reached the top of your career when you've got to national radio or TV in any country. After that you need to be branching into other territories, otherwise your either moving down or across (across isn't a bad move).

According to the article below Doireann's podcasts have more listeners than her 2FM breakfast show, though I don't think your comparing like with like TBH. But its is behind the paywall

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/ellen-coyne-doireann-garrihys-instagram-followers-are-double-her-2fm-shows-listenership-so-is-it-any-wonder-shes-leaving/a1933413102.html

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’ve never had a podcast so I don’t know how their stats work. If I press play on an episode and listen to three minutes, does that count as a listen? If I listen to three different episodes, does it count as three listeners or does it know I’m one listener?

I listen to a lot of podcasts but I mainly just search for people I find interesting (for example, Spielberg) and see if any interviews pop up. I don’t listen to any consistently anymore and I would imagine a lot of people can dip in and out with interview-based podcasts because if you don’t know the guest, why listen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Maybe I've missed it in the article but I see that she has twice as many Instagram followers as she has 2fm listeners - which is like comparing apples with sausages.

I admit I'm not a follower of hers but her podcast hasn't produced a new episode since Christmas, which was controversial in RTE too. It may well have been that particular podcast, a commercial interview with RT that led to her departure. She was heavily criticised internally for that especially when RTE programmes were looking to interview RT at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Ray foley took joy with the news on his show this afternoon

• Advertisement
Advertisement