Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doireann's gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Callan saying it looks like she will be focusing on her podcast and working outside RTE where maybe "the rules will be less restrictive for her"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭squonk

No fan but if she walked of her own accord then fair play. She has more guts than I ever gave her credit for.

As usual though either she got a better offer or was invited to vacate the position.

Who knows really. It's all a bit of a mystery how Dan Healy thinks.

Keith Walsh was just let go, I am sure he had some farewell tale before he discovered he might actually have been an employee.

Stephen Byrne and Tara Kumar "decided" to go to look at new opportunities abroad.

Louise McSharry was at least honest that she'd been dropped.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Wow, I'm very surprised.

Is there that much money in podcasting that she'd walk away from a handy gig with the national broadcaster?

• Advertisement

Donncha's Rise and Shine

Donncha O'Callaghan smooth voice will slowly wake listeners up as they being their Day, helped by Carl who brings a bit of the madness to the show.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I presume no one under 40 listens to 2FM apart from maybe the sports programme?

😂 I presume no one listens to 2FM, in particular their sports programme. Game Rip-off the ball!

______

Yesterday

Is she done with RTE or will the DWTS gig continue? I could see her ditching the early mornings if the TV work is as lucrative with comparably less work however “focusing on a podcast” doesn’t sound like someone switching to TV. I’d also imagine DWTS would be a good vehicle for 2FMs next rising star.

Did we find with both Tubs and C Byrne that TV work wasn't all that lucrative! But when she's on the TV she's not working for RTÉ.

Can't believe that Callan said its too restrictive now, Greed is good.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Fair point. I suppose the 2FM gig is the bread and butter then. Doesn’t sound like she’d pack that in of her own volition. On balance, travelling and working on a podcast sounds like it wasn’t her idea to leave. On the bright side, the weather is getting nice and the sister, Aoibhin is married to a guy who has a B lonely hotel by the sea in Spanish Point in Clare. She could always bunk up there for a few weeks and enjoy the fine weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Ill miss her in the morning, Found her a good bit of craic with the lads and was a good presenter. Id imagine the lads would need to get another woman in as I think it needs a woman voice.

Please god no!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Guess the wedding freebies are worth more. She was pushing the boundaries with her antics, there was a townhall a few months back where it was made clear she wasn't popular amongst staff

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CONSI

Always felt having 3 of them hosting a breakfast show was a bit indulgent. Nearly every other station has 2 hosts. Maybe it will see the end of that God awful hidden camera show aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amlinopta

All three breakfast show presenters part of the NK stable, Noel very involved with the podcasts as reported last year in Evoke:

"When Doireann hosted the live version of show at the Bord Gáis Energy Theatre in Dublin last April she offered 2FM listeners the opportunity to snag tickets.

The podcast shows are a separate venture between Doireann and talent agent Noel Kelly with tickets costing around €46.50 per person."

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Freer to accept freebies now 😠

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

the usual way of 2fm in sacking someone is to simply kick them out of the building before their next show, so her being able to announce her departure like this suggests its probably her decision. She is maybe staying on with Dancing with the Stars so keeping a connection with RTE anyway.

I would occasionally listen to the show between 6 and 7 if i'm on the road and it seems like the format hasn't changed that much - shout-outs to the early risers a quiz just after 7, "retro tunes" around 7.20 - which they were doing three years ago. Then again Ian Dempsey hasn't really changed his running order in 20 years so perhaps that is what people want at that hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CONSI

It had definitely gotten lazy, you could nearly pick which songs they would play before they played them…I remember they played the same song at 8.05am almost every day for a week at one stage, I thought I was in some weird groundhog day, either that or one of them had lost a bet and they were doing this till someone noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

I can't see DWTS lasting too long either for her. It's doing a Glenroe on them at the minute. They'd decided to end it and only gave it a new season cause the viewing figures are around 478k but they keep mentioning how expensive it is for them.

The minute they get a decent justification it's gone.

This smacks of they won't be renewing her contract and she's been given the chance to say she's leaving IMO, looks and sounds better for potential sponsors and deals for herself rather than being "let go"

It depends on what face you want to put on the decision to go, as I say both Tara Kumar and Stephen Byrne left to "pursue other projects"!

Ian was 26 years ago, different media landscape, and not long after Marty had defected to Century.

Here is Keith Walsh "taking a leap of faith"

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/5902687/dj-keith-walsh-leaving-rte-2fm-seven-years-leap-of-faith/

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Yes, but are brands going to be as generous when she doesn't have the platform of a daily radio show? (I agree with whoever said they don't see her staying long with DWTS)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭TheDavester

sure her godfather will get her a job at today fm if it goes south

Laura Fox will be gunning for her spot … wonder if zamp will be next out

• Registered Users Posts: 14 onemoreopinion

Who is her godfather?

Things seem to move so quickly in there I can't believe she has been with them 5 years? To be honest the only presenters I have missed that have left are Chris and Ciara but mostly their night time show. The rest I haven't even heard in years, too painful.

I never rated them on 2fm but Tara is on BBC now and Stephen is on Kyle and Jackie O station Kiss so I am sure 2fm will probably try get them back because RTE always do that just because someone did something somewhere else.

They need to scrap it and give gold a licence.

I feel that Tara is on and off BBC, not sure if Stephen has a full time position on Kiss, but both basically went abroad with nothing really planned.

Iano is her godfather.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭TheDavester

• Registered Users Posts: 10,594 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Who's this Doireann one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It looks more like her contract was let run out than anything else. Not buying it at all that she is wilfully leaving to pursue a podcast as the radio show is her prime promotional vehicle and solid wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Dan Healys statement on her leaving was overly effusive, which makes me think she left of her own accord. But it's such a strange one, because on the other hand I can't imagine she's leaving a cushy number like this with just having a podcast to fall back on. She did just buy a house and get engaged.

However, I listen to the show and think she's brilliant, so I'll miss her from the airwaves. RTE won't find someone as good to fill that slot. A natural at radio and the chemistry with Carl and Donncha is off the charts. (Took me a while to warm to Carl Mullan, I'll admit)

My guess is that Laura Fox will step in there, but the show won't be the same.

Advertisement