Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scraopage scheme for encouraging new ev purchases

Options
  • 06-05-2024 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭

Recall the old scheme where one got 3k for a car older than 10 years if trading it in.

If the government did something similar, wouldn't it aid them in the climate war? Like even from financial point of view we wouldn't be hitting the fines for the emissions

I'm sure there's holes in my idea but the lack of creative thinking other than to tax people unavoidably is a little demoralising

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Scrap perfectly good vehicles very carbon efficient!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

There's currently an EU investigation into whether the Chinese brands are getting state support etc. The tariff on them coming into Europe is 10% where the USA put a 27.5% tarriff on them.

From reading about it, I think European carmakers are putting pressure on the Commission to do something so if that happens the Chinese brands list prices will increase and I assume stop the downward pressure on prices. So that could change things quite a bit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

EU is caught between meeting their own climate targets and an uncompetitive German car industry.

I'm fairly sure we'll know who they will side with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was reading a report that anything short of a 50% tariff will just be absorbed by the Chinese car brands

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

A couple of years ago I'd have said no because manufacturers would just increase prices by several thousand to match

Now with the price cuts it could be a good idea to boost demand

• Advertisement

Ah yes, the old perfectly good argument

Define perfectly good, because as I recall in 2014 we were in the middle of diesel gate and an effective admission from car manufacturers that there was no way for them to achieve the emission standards without cheating

So yeah, I'd be quite in favour of getting the old Euro 5 and older cars off the road as fast as possible

Even the latest cars aren't getting close to their stated emission goals, recent EU auditor reports found that any fuel savings for the past 10 years have been completely erased by the trend towards SUVs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭creedp

It seems a lot of manufacturers are giving an unofficial scrappage scheme at present, often called a purchase bonus, so I'm sure they'd love it if the taxpayer assumed responsibility for this generosity.

I'm wondering how high it would have to be pitched to encourage enough people who could only afford a banger to buy a brand new car? I'd say it would be more likely to increase the price of used ICEs as those with cash would hoover them up to take advantage of free money

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Incentives are being tapered off the last few years, makes no sense to start them up again

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Given the recent take up I wouldn't write off the benefit of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If be inclined to run existing fleet into the ground. More environmental friendly , many of the older cars limited mileage , those with high mileage will die sooner

Get rid of new ICE

Post edited by ted1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What would you set the scrappage value at? The market value for lots of relatively ordinary 10 year old cars exceeds 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Not sure sure about that. Even scrapping a car is energy intensive. Recycling all the metal takes a lot of inputs and many of the plastics are probably difficult to recycle and most likely can only be recycled into lower value plastics.

I'm a big believer that the Irish motorist should be heavily incentivised to run what they have into the ground if it meets their transportation needs. Having said that, if one needs a new car, maybe more seats for a growing family, then it makes sense to incentivise EVs.

In general, our throwaway approach that has become endemic in Western society has done a lot more environmental damage than the internal combustion engine.

I do take the point that in large urban areas that air quality is an important consideration. Was in Limerick at the weekend and saw a fully electric bus for the first time. The entire urban fleet should be electric by now really, no excuse for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,796 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Completely useless and carbon negative. You should not incentivise new car creation and scrap a perfectly good car. What you should have is target those who would buy a new car anyway and make sure that new car is a ZEV. Then in 3 years down the line the used car market has a ZEV instead of a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭gossamerfabric

French Government have a scheme to democratize EV adoption with those on lower wages given support to buy EVs.

Scrapping cars early is not environmentally sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Would the OP happen to work in EV car sales? And be worried about falling sales.

The best Green ideas are to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Taking good cars, scrapping them and then replacing with similar that require huge mining operations is the very opposite.

We bought a one yr old 1 litre petrol hatchback recently to replace a similar 16 yr old model. Grand little car, hopefully get a dozen years at least out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Meaning less of us will be able to afford an EV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think yes but only diesel. Leace what little petrol cars there is from then. Scrap all diesel cars from 2016 and back especially the VW diesels and any other makes that were caught in the emissions scandal. Actually They should all be taken off the roads altogether all diesels from back then. Leave none.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't believer there should be any government scrappage schemes for this. Any such scheme just means it gets funded by the taxpayer and the money goes straight into the pocket of car manufacturers. That is already the case with the existing SEAI grant scheme.

Another example of how the government throwing money distorts the market is how electricity bills have remained high in Ireland while wholesale prices have reduced. Why would energy companies here reduce their prices by much when the government has been paying towards our bills the last year or so? Now that those payments have finished watch the prices start coming down and competition increase.

Let the car manufacturers figure out themselves how to make their products more desirable if they want to sell them. The likes of Tesla, VW, etc can literally do it overnight when they need to. Any money ring fenced for a scrappage scheme would be better off spent on charging infrastructure instead.

To answer the question, nope I don't work in car sales and (like alot of car salesman in fairness) know feck all about cars. Just exploring the idea in a country where we cant to encourage takleup of EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The amounts of carbon used to build a new car is massive. Theres literally no good reason to scrap a ten year old car from an environmental perspective.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

-Increase the amount and capacity of public charging stations.

-Incentivise in apartment parking with charge points.

-Be honest about future taxation on EV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭josip

The CO2 footprint from manufacturing is around one seventh the footprint of fueling an ICE over its lifetime. I don't know how many years were in the lifetime of the cars in this study or if they used industry averages.

# https://theicct.org/a-global-comparison-of-life-cycle-ghg-emissions-from-passenger-cars/

Yeah that argument doesn't really wash when you think about it

Okay so you need to expend carbon to produce the car and some more to recycle and old one. So keeping the old car running is better for the environment is the basis of the argument, right?

However, it's been demonstrated that an EV will pay back the carbon emissions used in production within a year or two. This is achieved by the emission savings versus the equivalent ICE car

Those statistics were based on a Euro 6 car I believe, which have been shown to be 50% more polluting than manufacturers were claiming. I imagine compared to an older car, the EV would pay back the manufacturing emissions in a much shorter time

Let's now apply a bit of realism, let's say there was a €5k scrappage allowance for ICE cars against a new EV introduced. Let's apply the same price caps as the SEAI grant so there can't be an argument of bangers being used to buy luxury EVs

You'd probably bring down any price gap on EVs to parity with the equivalent ICE, or even lower

Now, I doubt that everyone who owns a 10 year old car will suddenly trade it in for a €40k (or €35k now) EV. Even the cheapest projected EVs would still be around the €15k region after scrappage which is a lot of cash to be putting up front

However, for people who are looking at a new car it would make the EV a lot more attractive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭blackbox

The environmental objective should be to reduce car usage rather than encourage people to buy new cars of any type.

A lot more park & ride needed, along with toilets at every station.

Should but isn't. This is a low density country especially outside Dublin that will never get anything approaching good public transit alternatives to the car.

If the government isn't willing to spend the cash on proper rail and road infra then car is the only, I repeat only game in town. Thus let's make the car as env friendly as possible

As much as I want to disagree with you, I think you may be correct

The truth is there's always going to be an urban/rural divide anywhere you live

Whereas cycling, walking or public transport work very well in urban areas, we don't have the population concentrations to support them outside the major cities and a handful of large towns

At least not without accepting there'll always be a lot of government support

So, cars are going to be the only viable transport option for a lot of people in the near term

Having said that, there's over 2 million people within the greater Dublin area, comprising Dublin county and Meath, Kildare and Wicklow

Getting a significant portion of that population over to alternative transport would reduce a lot of car miles. There seems to be a lot of people content to sit in traffic in the city centre, reducing that has to be a priority

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

I don't agree with any scrappage schemes, scapping perfectly serviceable cars just to produce and sell new ones is the definition of waste.

A while ago I bought a few second hand charger leads and granny charger from a taxi driver who was telling me he'd been forced to scrap a mint Prius PHEV in order to get the substantial grant for a new taxi.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Cant cars be sold on in a scrappage scheme if there is a market for them? As far as I know they don't have be scrapped

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it's a Government funded scrappage scheme then the purpose in the past has been to remove old cars from the national fleet permanently. Not scrapping them would defeat that.

With the car manufacturer scrappage schemes it's just another marketing term for discount. Car maker gives you a discount in exchange for your old car as long as it meets certain criteria set out by them. The car doesn't actually need to be scrapped, it can be sold on by the dealer for whatever they can get for it. It's purpose is to drum up sales of new cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

EU - 10% base
    USA - 10% base + 15% extra Trump tariff - total 25%

News that Bided admin wants to add 75% extra on top i.e. 100% tariff

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/10/us/politics/us-biden-china-tariffs-electric-vehicles.html

In the absence of a US IRA analogue in the EU, extra tariffs would hurt EU carmakers and consumers alike.

Advertisement