Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Thread for Musicians/Those involved in Music.

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The original Cockney Rebel, Steve Harley, has died aged 73. He had been suffering from cancer

I had a ticket to see him next month, although he had already announced he was cancelling all gigs this year to focus on recovery

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Rip Steve.

You made me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,204 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Does it qualify under the 'Those involved in Music' category? The inventor of Karaoke has died:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Midge Ure has announced the death of his former Ultravox bandmate Chris Cross. Cross, real name Chris Allen, died aged 71 and was a part of the original line-up of the electronic pop group along with Ure, Warren Cann and Billy Currie.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/showbiz/midge-ure-pays-tribute-ultravox-28923755

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rpirl

The K-pop songwriter / producer who went by the name 'Shinsamong Tiger' - passed away recently aged 41

Seems to have been one of the more creative people in that industry (maybe also one of the "good guys")

Played a big part in the whole thing going global

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

That article is incorrect as Midge Ure was not in the original line-up of Ultravox. The original line-up was Chris Cross, Cann, Currie and singer John Foxx and guitarist Steve Shears. Shears was then replaced by Robin Simon. Midge Ure replaced Foxx and Simon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Duane Eddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭dasdog

MC Conrad went during the week aged 52. Unlike most who tried, someone who could put vocal to drum & bass and make it sound good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Bit weird that this is the first thing that pops up on Google.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Very weird. They were actively taking questions up to 45 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I randomly opened this thread from the home page, never expecting to see this news 😮

I don't really have heroes, but Steve Albini comes as close as it gets. I'd often binge watch YouTube interviews of him talking about music - his experiences producing (he'd say engineering) some of the biggest names (Nirvana and Pixies) and some of the most obscure (I only just discovered that he produced one of my favourite albums - Head of David's Dustbowl). Even him talking about his microphone collection in his studio was entertaining. Imagine having the balls to be able to produce both Whitehouse and Low!

Big Black were one of the most perfect bands ever. Like Albini himself, completely uncompromising. Using a drum machine in a (for want of a better word) "punk" band, and a guitar tone that sounded like nothing with strings. My mum told me that one day when I was a teenager, my dad decided to flick though my record collection. He came across "Songs About Fúcking", and disgustedly bought it to my mother saying "look at the filth he's listening to!". My mum told him to cop on and not to be going though my stuff, so he put it back and never said a word.

I'll be spinning it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What an absolute legend of a man he was.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Playing these now

In 1988, I sent my Mam into Comet with a list. One of them was Songs About F*cking. In fairness, she got it for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

many years ago the barman in our 'local' (it was a 45 minute walk) made me a mixtape which had 'kerosene' on it. that blew my mind at the time. that tape is long since lost, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,314 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I wonder how many of the obits will mention his charmingly named band, Rapeman…

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Some do. Here's two examples. From The Guardian (which was also published in The Irish Times):

Big Black had already split up by the time Songs About **** was released – “I prefer to cut it off rather than have it turn into another Gross Rock Spectacle”, Albini said – and he founded his next band Rapeman in 1987. Named after a Japanese manga, it was perhaps the most high-profile example of Albini’s eagerness to prod and provoke, and he later expressed regret for the band name, calling it “flippant”.

Variety:

Also often overlooked was the band’s sense of humor — their final album was called “Songs About ****”; their last single featured covers of songs by Kraftwerk and Cheap Trick and its sleeve showed the band comically dressed as those artists — but some attempts at humor did not land well: Albini’s first post-Big Black band bore the unfortunate name of Rapeman, which he later regretted. While he argued that the ironic intent of his lyrics for songs with titles using deeply offensive terms — not to mention a limited-edition Big Black album cover with an autopsy photo of a suicide by gunshot blast — should be obvious, that distinction certainly was not always clear at first impression. He admitted as much later in life.

It was always a really stupid name for a band. I remember buying the Budd EP as a teenager, and even then thinking it was a really stupid name. Bass player David Sims described it as "the biggest musical regret" of his life.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭JMcL

Most seem to - acknowledging that it was dumb (which in fairness he came to accept in his later years)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Most obits that I saw did mention it - apart from the mainstream ones in RTE and BBC - it was a horrible name for a band and he admitted regretting it.

I have to say it's a real bummer this one. He was just one of those figures you assumed would be around forever and I'd been reading interviews with him lately where, while I wouldn't say he had mellowed, there was definitely a bit more light and shade in his opinions. It would have been interesting to hear his take on things in the years to come... New Shellac album on the way too.

I think the fact that I was met with widespread indifference and collective shrugged shoulders yesterday when I told people about him, underlined to me why he was such an icon: to the end a real star of the underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Two Nuns & A Pack Mule, great album.

"Hated Chinee, He not a man, not a man by law."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Charlie Colin, founding member of the band Train, whose hits included 'Drops of Jupiter,' has died at 58.

Colin slipped and fell in the shower while house-sitting for a friend in Belgium, according to TMZ. He was later found dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭jacool

Thought they were two hit wonders, Drops of Jupiter(#10) & Hey Soul Sister(#18), but only found out through google that their biggest UK hit was a song called Drive By, that got to number 6. I had to play the song before I recognised it, just didn't know it was them.

Advertisement