Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the grand canal

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I believe it is crossing from Church Ave to Chapel Lane (to the east of the main road).

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Is there a map of this available anywhere? I recently moved to near Allenwood and thinking of cycling down to Athy this weekend, but there a lot of canals around here, so not sure where to join it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

Cycle out of Allenwood, towards Kilmeague/Allen, at the first canal bridge take the allenwood side bank and head back to Lowtown, from there cross the bridge and head south.

Or go up to the Travellers rest pub and head south from there

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Great, thanks nilhg.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RunDMC

The stretch from Ponsonby Bridge to Devonshire Bridge (at Killleen Golf Club) has been completed with a fine grit surface.

The bridge span is in place but there's a bit of work to raise the grade to the level of the bridge deck.

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

Was on a run in Lucan yesterday and up near the 12th lock I noticed a few guys in hi Viz vests and some machinery at the entrance to the canal path on the section heading towards Hazelhatch.

Could it be possible they are actually starting this section! Fingers crossed.

There's a yard down there that Irish Rali use to store equipment. No activity on the towpath itself, unfortunately.

R

I cycled from Ardclough Bridge all the way to Sallins today.

The stretch of road from Ardclough to Ponsomby Bridge has been given a top dressing all the way so whilst it is still somewhat bumpy on road wheels, the potholes are gone.

From Ponsomby Br to Sallins is all sand or grit but I'd say (hope) that this will be given a tarmac surface soon.

The exit from the canal is still clearly a building site. Where it remains the road still has a poxy gate designed to stop pretty much everyone from passing so hopefully that will be ripped out soon (I had to climb over a ditch/bank to get out with my bike)...

It was also nice to see a barge using the canal. The kids on it were lovely (well one said that they really liked my bike!).

Also got to see the new pedestrian bridge also but it's still fenced off from the public...

The main take away that I have from my spin there was the huge number of teenagers who were swimming, sunbathing and hanging out at the locks and a large number of them cycled there.

Almost finished, just about 1km of the tow-path and the bridge access left to complete.

R

I'd have presumed that they'll be putting down tarmac on all of the new surfaces?

• Advertisement

They might put tarmac on the 1km section to the railway bridge but the rest is grade-level with the telecoms access covers, so I think those surfaces are going to remain unbound.

R

Finally the last section* of the Barrow Blueway is complete and open, I always forget the bridge names so to me it's between Ummeras and Ballykelly which is about half way between the towns of Rathangan and Monasterevin.

The whole canal towpath between Robertstown and Athy is now passable on a road bike*

*1.3KM just north of Glenaree bridge is still not tarmacked, it is passable with care on a road bike, especially one with 30/32mm tyres but there is a quick and easy diversion on local roads if you prefer not to chance it*

Work is still ongoing on the road crossings and there will be substantial work at Rathangan to avoid the Secondary School and having to fell trees but you just need a little care to get round those.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭cletus

Ummeras bridge and McCartneys lock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I cycled Goresbridge to Glasnevin a few weeks back with the majority of it on the canal.

Stopped first in The Three Counties petrol station north of Carlow for a can of coke and sandwich.Then stopped at a nice coffee spot on the canal itself about 5km north of Athy called Dilly Dally. I took a wrong turn in Sallins and ended up in Naas which is hard to believe as you'd imagine you couldn't get lost cycling along a canal. Took a fair bit of faffing about to get back on track.

160km all in, on a lovely dry warm day with a bit of a tailwind. Took about 8hrs so you'd want to plan it right sunlight wise as you wouldn't want to be getting into Dublin in the dark. Great day on the bike though and almost no traffic to deal with bar the last few km back on the road. All of it on a CX bike with gravel tyres which you will need especially south of Athy along the barrow where it's track wore in the grass.

think this was south of Rathangan, some nice work being completed

down near Carlow somewhere

So, out for a spin this morning from Rathangan to Vicarstown.

First update, the kissing gates on the aqueduct in Monasterevin are finally being removed. You can see the left bank here is clear, still on the right bank

Secondly, the contested piece of the Greenway running along side a section of road south of Monasterevin, and running under the motorway bridge seems to have started in earnest.

Looks like you get complementary telephone poles in the middle of the path...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Tks for posting this.

i got on at sallins yesterday and seem to be tarmaced a good distance from sallins towards Killeen Golf club. i didnt go that far as was dark.

anyone know if the whole Sallins to Dublin city is now tarmac or gritted? i recall from about 18 months ago there is an area of about 5km between Celbridge and Lucan that is lumpy/hilly grass that is barely manageable but uncomfortable on a mountain bike. im keen to cycle all the way from sallins to dublin city.

i cycled sallins towards digby bridge a few weeks ago and still mostly bumpy grass so not to be recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Hazelhatch to Lucan still wet and muddy

i got on at sallins yesterday and seem to be tarmaced a good distance from sallins towards Killeen Golf club. i didnt go that far as was dark.

anyone know if the whole Sallins to Dublin city is now tarmac or gritted? i recall from about 18 months ago there is an area of about 5km between Celbridge and Lucan that is lumpy/hilly grass that is barely manageable but uncomfortable on a mountain bike. im keen to cycle all the way from sallins to dublin city.

I thought from Ponsomby Bridge (~Straffan) to Sallins was going to be a fine grit surface?

From Sallins to the city is all complete except for Hazelhatch to Adamstown. Adamstown to the city is a concrete or tarmac surface and used by many cyclists.

i cycled sallins towards digby bridge a few weeks ago and still mostly bumpy grass so not to be recommended.

There is a better route which follows the southers side of the canal but you first need to head towards Naas and then take a right turn towards Osberstown...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

sallins towards kill gaa club is tarmacadam for about 2km at least. i turned back at this distance. i couldnt see when it turns into grit. suppose it doesnt matter, alot better than the bumpy grass track that was barely rideable.

tks for confirming hazelhatch to adamstown. hopefully they will put down tarmac/grit on this part of the route soon. they will have to if its all thats in the way of proudly announcing that they have the cycle route from dublin to kildare. suppose the Green party have a year to push this through.

Thats a good point on digby bridge route, but I find naas to digby bridge as you showed on the map a bit hazardous due to cars speeding and the hidden bends they come out of. i dont blame the cars, its narrow and they want to get through this road as quick before they meet an oncoming car.

sallins towards kill gaa club is tarmacadam for about 2km at least. i turned back at this distance. i couldnt see when it turns into grit. suppose it doesnt matter, alot better than the bumpy grass track that was barely rideable.

Not sure which club you mean because Kill GAA is the other side of the N7 (in Kill). Sallins GAA is pretty much in the town centre rather than 2kms out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

I decided to take advantage of the the good forecast for today and did the loop from the city to Ardclough on the Grand, and back through Celbridge and leixlip via the Royal today. The forecast turned out to be wrong with heavy mist throughout the trip making conditions fairly miserable.

The stretch from the 12th lock to Hazelhatch was really wet and muddy and I found it difficult to maintain enough speed to blast through the muck and eventually lost momentum and went down, otherwise the Grand was fine.

The return journey on the Royal was uneventful until I got to The Deepsinking with the middle and end section so bad they were dangerous.The middle and highest section, which has the heaviest concentration of exposed tree roots and rock, was lethal as the path was covered with leaves making it difficult to pick your way through the hazzards, the path seems to have become very narrow and was very slippery. I eventually lost my nerve and walked the worst part of the mid section. I remounted for the last section and very nearly got caught out by one of the three drainage channels on the canal side, these seem to have encroached further into the pathway, with one taking up at least half the width of the already narrow path.

Im a big fan of the Deepsinking and have cycled it dozens of times, and fallen (not into the canal!) several time so Im not a complete coward, but it was so dangerous today, and for the first time ever, I didnt enjoy it. I think there may be a need to post warning signs on the Deepsinking as sadly it seems to have become 'an accident waiting to happen'.

Despite the miserable weather, and poor cycling conditions, any trip on the canal is better than one just about anywhere else.

An example of the perils of working on old infrastructure, the lads attempted to lay tarmac on this path under the bridge and the bank gave way, dumping the machine in the water. They had to get a big telescopic crane in to fish it out. It's the bridge at Umeras, ironically one of the last they have to do.

I was speaking to lads from Waterways Ireland about a year ago.

They were saying that there was huge objections to the Greenway continuing down through Carlow, but what the protesters weren't aware of was that remedial work was needed at various point (just like above), and they'd need to lay a hardcore path to get machinery down to it regardless of the greenway

Post edited by cletus on

It's going to be interesting how any attempt to get PP to extend the blueway south goes when there is the existing section there to compare and contrast with. I went with a mate down as far as Milford in early summer, the grass hadn't been mown and it was nearly impassable with nettles and thistles in places, I often wondered if that was WI saying to folk be careful what you wish for....

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Pullagh to Shannon Harbour: Has anyone been along this section recently (2023-24) ?

What's the surface like - walk, mtb, slow road bike, unsuitable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

@roadtoad Still very much a work in progress, this was at the Belmont double lock last week. The sort of car park that was there before is being moved down nearer to Shannon Harbour. The surface is laid down but you might be blocked by works traffic parked up for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

tarmac paved the whole way, but still work in progress with signage, car park set up and a few more finishing touches. The two roads near Ferbane have paths under the bridges but approach with caution as usual so neither you or someone coming the other way end up in the canal, the rest of the bridges near Belmont and the main Cloghan Shannonbridge road have you come up to cross the road so mind for traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Peeling1979

Making plans for the mornin spin….I’d a spin from Ardclough to Sallins last year on a Gravel bike, just wondering if you can go beyond Sallins!? Rather do a decent out and back than cycle from there to Kilcock / Royal Canal as the road is lethal. Little enough if any info available online!

• Advertisement

You can but you've to travel along the road towards Naas for a short bit and down by Osberstown Cottages. There us a small slip road which brings you under the Sallins Bypass. That would then bring you to Digby Bridge before doing a bit more on the road before heading for Landenstown Bridge where there is a nice little cafe.

Advertisement