Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions US Physics/Math Teacher Certified to Teach in Ireland

Options
  • 01-05-2024 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

I recently finished getting certified by the Teaching Council to teach Physics and Mathematics in Ireland. I have been teaching AP Physics for the last 12 years in the US and live in New Jersey in the US. I am wondering a few things, and I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions.

1. how viable it is to find employment as a teacher of these subjects in Ireland?
    2. what is the supply/demand situation for these subjects?
    3. does teaching provide a livable wage in Ireland?
    4. when is the hiring season for teaching?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

1Moderate to likely to get a post .Permanent ('tenure'?) will be a bit harder

2Quite sought after

3Depends where you live but forget about Dublin

4 Late May /early mid June AND August are main periods (especially for 'contracts' /non casual)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

In terms of contracts it can be pot luck. I got a last minute phonecall in September and worked my way to permanent... after many years of doing a bit of everything. Quite a few take Applied Maths (maths physics!) as an extra subject, so be prepared to throw that in as an -off timetable- outside regular hours- if you want to impress,.

Basically though there will usually be a maths teacher on the interview panel, they don't really care if you're Einstein or Kim Kardashian , they really want to know if they can work with you without you 'coming in with your big fancy notions'.

So Irish teachers can be a fairly conservative bunch.

1. Don't smile or laugh.

2. Don't have an fancy ideas about how teaching should be.

3. Can you control a wild class (cos you'll be getting the wild ones to start). You come from NJ so tell them it was all guns and drugs and fights every day 😁.

4. Religion? Won't ask you directly but, "Do you support the ethos?" Tell them how much you admire their ethos and it's important to have tradition etc.

5. Curriculum. Get you hands on junior Certificate and leaving certificate exams on examinations.ie

6. This is a good site

7. Any extra curricular? Basketball is popular in summer schools.

8. Learn to say Maths quickly like matz ....not Math . You can say Mathematics if it's a posh school.

9. You could make a lot of money privately with grinds but be careful of turf wars or giving grinds to students from your own school. Other Teachers will rat you out to revenue in a heartbeat, especially if you have a newish car. 2014 Ford Focus is the limit of your flexing until you get permanent contract.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depending on your citizenship, make sure you get your employment permit sorted before you make any move.

Advertisement