Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reg plates

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jonathan2712

But who decides what is worth policing and what isn't? ASG need to enforce the law, its not for them or anyone else to decide what laws are worth enforcing and what laws are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Saw one on an older German saloon yesterday (no surprise, the usual offenders)

Black number on a grey background making it almost impossible to read in anything other than close up in perfect visibility. Almost deliberately chosen by the owner to make identification difficult. It's an absolute joke.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The NCT should take a photo of the car under test from the front and back to be filed as reference.

Any change of the reg plates would be obvious to a Garda who did not like the ones on a car. It would also be useful in identifying cloned cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Gardai don't enforce the licence plate standard anymore, having said that if they stop you for something else like speeding or what have you then they may also give you points for the plates too..

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Something that popped into my head yesterday when I was sitting in

traffic……… remember when it was an instant NCT fail if your reg didn't

have the cars registered county at the top of the number plate? I saw a

car with a reverse camera fitted and was covering the county name

Baile Atha Cliath. Wonder is that an NCT failure? Probably up to the tester

on the day I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If the county is on the plate but obstructed then it might fail. Page 14 of the NCT manual is where it is listed, if you are in any way curious. :)

I had an "instant" fail like that before where the plate didn't have the country written on it at all. The car had been through 3 other NCTs before and never an issue. It all seems to come down to the tester on the day and how "motivated" they are to fail the car. Only cost me €20 at the time for 2 new plates so it wasn't expensive but a pain to have to go back for something that is not safety related.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know of 2 main dealers who supply plates on their new cars that don’t meet the legal requirements.

Al Hayes Skoda has a shadow beside the numbers/letters on the plate which isn’t allowed

Brian Geary Toyota uses numbers/letters that don’t meet the dimensional requirements.

They’re both selling tonnes of cars, which are obviously passing NCTs. It’s just down to the NCT not enforcing the rules fully.
    Both of these cases are relatively minor deviations from the requirements, but an NCT tester could justifiably fail on them.

Had an instant fail on a car I sold years ago. The local motor factor was supplying stickers

of each county at the time. Testers are probably not as strict on it now, unless it's the pricks

that work in Fonthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve been using the same plates from the same motor factors for years and one tester decided to fail me on the numbers apparently being too small. I had passed 5 other cars that week using the exact same plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think it’s crazy that a business who deals in number plates can fail to make one that meets very basic standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭User1998

It was a Jap size plate, so admittedly the numbers do look a tiny bit smaller than the numbers on an oblong plate. But I’ve been using them for 5 years with no issue other than this one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I thought there was a separate definition of font size for rectangular plates in the SI?

[Non-PC to say 'Jap' these days, so I hear 😮 😀]

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭creedp

There's no wow about. Gardai know exactly what they can get away with and that's exactly what they'll do. One rule for one and the other can do whatever they like unless they kill or seriously injure someone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭creedp

That really is the most egregious safety issue on the roads today😁 So thankful for the NCT

Yeah I remember bringing a car back for a visual in Fonthill and saying to the tester

that I am so happy to be able to sleep at night again after me selling such a death

trap of a car.

Advertisement