Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Certainly a long history of the pirates always finding new way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭dubrov

Know-it-alls? I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭atilladehun

"being able to reliably stream live video long-term is going to be a lot more complicated"

Why do you say this? It's getting easier no? Sky are working to a stream only model. Satellite expected to be be done by 2030. Sky charging by the day/month/year for access. Payment models are getting easier and quicker.

TV is going to be more online and there's going to be even more people capturing that in places like Russia, the middle East and beyond our laws and selling it to resellers for distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭jj880

Ah you're back with this again. The animal inside must be Chicken Little. Do you still think IPTV is similar to breaking the speed limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Gooser14

There are reports on here of Vodafone FTTH users experiencing the buffering problem. Are you a VF FTTH customer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Tommysocks11

No I'm a sky customer with broadband with them, I have copied the channels onto other firesticks around my house, would that degrade my signals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

so there is more than 1 person using it at the same time.

have you tried unplugging the others and seeing if that makes a difference?

I know when I use multiscreen, I do get a bit of buffering on some of the channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭briany

And there are probably many more like you in the same boat.

When these clampdowns happen, a much more honest headline would be, "Thousands temporarily inconvenienced."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭larchielads

What router did u buy and who was your supplier. Im wit sky i get 500mbps to my shield but still need vpn for matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

If you are using it on multiple devices at the same time your supplier is more than likely blocking you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭shmeee

How would one household have IPTV blocked on Eir fibre while a few doors down, no issue with the exact same stick and IPTV login also on Eir. Very odd. Works then with a VPN on. Would there be a setting in the router or anything? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,628 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

At a minimum, change your dns settings to something like Google dns or 1.1.1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why do you say this? It's getting easier no?

You are correct, it will become easier.

In the original generation of dodgy boxes you needed a specific type of hardware i e. the box itself, a cable connection or satellite dish and in some cases a basic cable or satellite subscription.

Now with so much content being delivered by internet all you need is an internet connection and a standard device like a fire stick, a android box or just a phone, tablet or laptop you can cast or use a HDMI cable from.

This ease of access is evident by the sheer numbers of people that have some sort of dodgy box.

And speaking of how much content going on line, as I type this I'm watching Armagh v Down on Kodi.

I never before saw or thought I would see GAA on Kodi.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What's the best iptv app for watch stuff on the telly. I have a sub for one, but the app we have with it is terrible. We need a new one. Suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

tivimate is very good, €29.99 or so for a full license gives you 5 devices. never looked back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

you may be able to change to another app just ask the supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm using smarters which is free, works grand

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That looks good. Now I need to figure out how to set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

For people asking and wondering about apps and providers, message me about the former. But as for hardware, I use iriwns megastore online, go for the formuler boxes, they range from €100 to €150. They're a fantastic bit of kit with a custom rom that comes with mytvonline3 app, by far my favourite app for IPTV, it's solid, as is the hardware. If you're in the market for something and someone recommends a fire stick, just don't bother, there's a reason firesticks are basically free. Get proper hardware. I can point in the direction of a provider. No issues in ten years no matter what broadband I use and no, I don't need a VPN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭animalinside

If you were following the conversation I'm clearly talking about illegal streaming. The old satellite dish and terrestrial antennae were great in their day, it does seem that so long as your internet is fast enough they are getting more and more pointless, especially from a technical perspective. Still, many of them continue to be useful for people for one reason or another today.

Satellite will never be done away with completely and especially not by 2030. One reason is that there are a lot of people who have no highpeed internet and satellite is a livesaver to them and they would raise hell if they started shutting them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What's gas about this whole "illegal" debate is, if I've a sky problem, or a virgin problem or any issue at all it's a lot of fannying around on phone calls and at the end of the day they'll send an engineer out within two weeks who may or may not fix the problem. With "dodgy"box I just Whatsapp my provider directly, 24/7 service, get him to add a channel I need or an particular episode of season thats missing and boom, as I have the app opened it's up. If anything, legal providers can learn something from those dirty criminals providing affordable TV for people.

Had the lads over last weekend, noticed kerrang TV wasn't on the service, one Whatsapp, 5 minutes later the guy not only gave me kerrang but several other alt rock channels on my box.

$ky could learn a thing or two, drop your prices, let us speak to a human being, provide a fūcking better service.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They are lovely people and so helpful. Their next project will be to make their own content, instead of stealing it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Bought the TP Link Ax55 and was with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭larchielads

wonder would that be the case for everyone usin a vpn to change router?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I did anyway, mostly for greater control over things like DNS, VPN, spam filtering and so on. My home network is somewhat more elaborate than most though.

My experience over the years with ISP routers though is that they're generally crap - the eir F2000 and Sky's very very restricted router springing to mind. Had a NTL one years ago that lots of people had bother with in the office because it wouldn't let the company VPN through. No issues on my own one though.

Currently using an Asus XT8 with Sky 500 Fibre and it's a great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Or pay the Premier league a few billion for TV rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Murt2024

From someone who earns over 100K in IT your talking out your hole, From my home broadband on a 1GB connection I could probably give 100 customers IPTV if i wanted to. Its no different than the Amazon doorbell that you can access on your 4G or 5G mobile phone.

If I wanted to get a data center connection with 50 10GB links I could If i put my mind to it, data centers don't give a **** what your using it for, especially the dodgy ones!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Your talking rubbish now. Ask the lad who was caught card sharing cable TV codes for virgin media on a virgin media broadband how he got in court a few years back.

The same **** talk was going around that they would never clamp down on or fix cardsharing and sure enough it happened.

99% of the iptv use in Ireland exists is sports and the Premier league.

No other country in Europe gives a **** about that as they have their own leagues.

IPTV will be cracked down on.

You can it already. Routers with hardcoded DNS that can't be changed. Throttling of connections.

You'll be straight out with the VPN angle. Don't think a VPN is the answer and they certainly do keep logs even when they say they don't.

A VPN costs money and is difficult for the non IT Joe soap to setup and slows down your connection.

So if it all.gets too complicated and technical for the end user then It's easier to sign up for pay TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So if it all.gets too complicated and technical for the end user then It's easier to sign up for pay TV.

If ease of use is such a big deal the number using dodgy IPTV would be much less than it is. Cost is much more likely to be the driving factor.

As for VPN costs ….. considering the huge 'savings' made using dodgy IPTV the cost of the VPN would not be a large factor. Most VPN providers these days make it simple to use their services.

As for locked routers … yes there are a few broadband providers who do this but the majority do not, and even some that do will provide sufficient info to set up your own.

But none of that explains by what means you believe that such IPTV streams will be "clamped down on".

I would genuinely like to hear what you think will happen or more to the point how it will happen.

Advertisement