Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’ll take a wee spin over my nearest border road this evening and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Sure they couldn't police the border during the troubles with terrorists on both sides freely crossing over and back, how are they going to police this or is just been deployed at the crossing at Dundalk/Drogheda. Also what can they do if someone says they want to claim asylum? Are they going to round them up and hold them in a facility there or are they sending them back across the border?

This decision looks like a government in full on panic mode and trying to so show they are doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭combat14

northern ireland will have to serve as our rwanda - at least until there are so many illegal migrants there the unionists get sick of it and practically beg for a sea border

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭twinytwo

More like McEntee has **** the bed, again. Is scrambling now to make it look like she can actually do something. She along with the rest of the department of justice comes across as completely clueless.

The "everyone is welcome" approach needs to stop - time for the hard decisions to actually be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Lol, to be fair the wealth disparity between north and south is approaching the difference between UK and Rwanda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

No disrespect, but I think you are incredibly naive. I think we are a great solution for both the UK and mainland Europe as Goverments look to stem the rise of the far right ahead of elections. We are about to get a very tough lesson. Migrants can literally be funneled off the continent, up through the UK over to the North and into the ROI.

Geographically we are perfect and may end up harbouring all of Europe's excess migrants.

Pure speculation but I feel non contribution to NATO and Europe's green eye at our tax policy has a part to play in all this. Add a lashing of our justified stance on Israel.

I don't expect much support from Europe tbh. Grim, I think I'll close the laptop early today and head for the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The 1950s refugee convention needs looking at again. The only European country I know of that has broached the subject was Denmark. The entire system needs an overhaul and embassies and consulates throughout the world should be used as processing centres.
    Travel to the nearest embassy/consulate of the country you would like to claim asylum in. No more arriving at the final destination unless the neighbouring country/countries you’ve come from are at war.

Edit: or natural disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Floppybits

We are a great solution for the UK and mainland Europe, we are the end of the line, the next stop after us is the US, so they can just funnel the migrants this way and we then have to deal with it. We need to start making this a less attractive destination for illegal migrants. If this means we set up Mosney style camps as IPAS centres and then have a quick turn around in processing the applications and strict deportation process, none of this voluntary deportation or leave to remain BS. Once your application fails you are gone.

One question that gets asked on here where do you deport them too? Well they can have 2 choices, return to their country of origin or we strike a similar Rwanda deal and anyone that application fails we deport them there and from there the applicants can decide what to do. We have a lot pull factors attracting migrants, now we need to create a lot of push factors as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The current govt is not going to enact a Rwanda style deal.

Once the UK is designated a safe country, migrants that arrived over the land border could be returned to NI. But they could also come back again.

To stop them from returning to Ireland, there would need to be a removal of benefits, once they were identified as having passed through the safe country, backed up by finger print evidence/ biometrics etc.

I dont see our govt being able to A) police this or B) having the desire to do so.

Aontu are probably gaining more ground here as they are proposing a sea border for people into the island of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,383 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That seems an exaggeration from him. Although arrivals into the state in Q1 are a bit up on last year, it's definitely not double the numbers from 2023.

• Advertisement

I read about 5,100 Jan to March. So 25k including a spike in the summer seems reasonable.

And thats before the Rwanda factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,233 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Aontu are probably gaining more ground here as they are proposing a sea border for people into the island of Ireland.

Is this a realistic proposal short of the achievement of actual Irish aontu?

Who knows, but thats a different question.

My point was that they are likley to gain ground with the suggestion, when you consider the mood of the nation on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Do we need a Rwanda policy? We certainly need a far tougher system than one that ultimately depends on applications only being made in good faith. Such a system is open for abuse.

A good question is what has stopped government to date from taking a harder line which acknowledges the reality of human behaviour - when you present an opportunity to be taken advantage of, you will be taken advantage of. Direct provision was borne out of such reality based grounded thinking, provision of housing and shelter to meet requirements but be so restrictive as to be undesirable. What happened?

What we need is a policy where any airlines flying (and ferries, Eurostar) into UK and Ireland takes the passports off the non EU and UK passengers on boarding at the gate and hand them to immigration desk on arrival

failure to do so be fined at one million euro per paperless refugee

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was on a flight from the UK the weekend, once we came off the plane there were 2 immigration officers checking for passports. Now I dont know if this is a new policy or they were looking for someone, first time its happened me. We still went on then to passport control.

What is interesting is this development with the Rwanda/UK issue is that it's the first time the govt has mobilised a response towards restricting the number of asylum seekers coming into the country.

Is this a watershed moment?

I am not sure about that, but the govt do seem to have acknowledged that some restrictions are required. And once you acknowledge that, its difficult to go full open border again without appearing hypocritical or contradictory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Having just 2 immigration agents checking passports for a flight of 180 people would take a very long time indeed…

which is why this needs to be done at departure gate where tickets are already checked, and passports of non UK, EU, US (insert other civilised countries here) are taken by boarding staff and handed straight to immigration desk at destination

Plus extreme fines for airlines for not policing documents which they should be doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭bloopy

Is that a load of blood on the ground?

What happened here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yeah but the problem I have with this view is that any system which allows any form of international travel or migration will always be open to abuse. The very existence of it is the basis for the abuse — and so it will always be abused in some shape or form. Vote in a right wing government tomorrow and I'd put the house on the likelihood that people would still be on this forum bemoaning the broken promises when the easy fixes prove to be not so easy fixes.

There is just is never going to be an answer to this. Immigration will be discussed and decried for the rest of our lives and, long after we are dead and gone, the Ireland-born descendants of Ukrainian refugees and other immigrants will also be decrying the latest example of non-Ireland born people coming over here etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The boarding agents already check passports, but won't stop the trafficker from gathering up all the passports whilst the flight is in operation and de-boarding the aircraft without being searched or just dump them somewhere in the arrivals hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Longing

if you read what I wrote earlier

• boarding agent checks and takes passports off the non EU/UK/US/EEEA passengers at same time they check tickets
    • Airline transports a box of these documents and hands them direct to immigration desk on arrival
    • Immigration desk deals with each passenger and returns the documents as people are allowed in or makes the airline fly them back

It ain’t an alien concept, try to fly into USA without going through TSA and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 18,383 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Countries like France, Germany, Italy and Spain are receiving hundreds of thousands of asylum seekers (each) every year. It's simply not true that they are all heading to Ireland:

"In 2023, Germany received a quarter (25%) of asylum applications in the EU, followed by:

• France (16%)
    • Spain (12%)
    • Austria (11%)
    • Italy (9%)

These five EU member states together received almost three quarters of all first-time asylum applications in the EU."

To keep things in perspective, Germany had 350,000 applications in 2023. We have had 5000 so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭twinytwo

You do not need to do anything of this - just make it not worth their while to stay/come in the first place. As I said hard decisions need to be made, It would require changing/enacting laws and stepping on peoples toes. Time for the bury our head in the sand approach to end.

For any country but especially for one as small as ours this entire situation is completely unsustainable and the less road blocks in the way, the more that will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What about forwarding mandatory API (Advanced Passenger Information) to the destination airport/ferryport immigration desk? Losing your passport or destroying it is redundant then.

Every airline ticket I have bought requires me to insert my passport details so that information must be held somewhere. Any Data Protection issues can be amended by specific legislation surely.

Something tells me this can't be done for DP reasons, but why collect it in the first place?

like I said, slap the airlines with massive fines until they resolve what is an easily to solve problem of documents going missing “in flight”

Without documents these people could be anyone from terrorists to criminals to Russian spies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Been happening for years. Ive seen it many times on airlines arriving from the east. Immigration officials on the airbridge in Dublin Airport. Seen them dragging people kicking and screaming back onto the aircraft too. One heavy set black woman put up one of the best fights ever seen in approx 2011. They couldnt get her up the back steps.

A bit like breathalysers on a bank holiday weekend. Seemed to occur in line with the prevailing mood of the time.

Advertisement