Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting around Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'd say it's a different beast to build a bridge that could potentially carry a bus to building a pedestrian only one. You're not getting that for free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

3 o’clock on a Wednesday and the whole town is blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It was choc-a-bloc earlier, going since 13:00. Anything in particular causing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I’m so sick of this town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Its a future proofing concept. I would not envision a bus running on it when even it opens and would just be a bi-directional cycle lane, but build it structurally so that we would be able to run a bus on it into the future i.e carry the weight.

TBH I don't see much demand on this NEW bridge as a cycle and pedestrian bridge currently until the Woodquay side/Headford Road "retail mecca" gets all the student apartments built

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭39steps

All schoolkids on Easter holidays so traffic everywhere and it's raining!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭ratracer

On the flip side, getting into work in the morning has been a breeze this week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭rustyfrog

Agree I don't see much demand. I don't see they're spending money on this, the fishy bridge or the new pedestrian bridge at Spanish arch (keeping the footpath).

These feel like "legacy" projects from the previous chief exec, once he realised the ring road wasn't happening.

Would much rather see the money spent on connecting up active travel bits and pieces on busy routes across the city.

Agree 100% - I am in the same boat. Do the "hard" stuff first Galway City Council. Knock a few walls here and there, take out kissing gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Out of interest, what affect do we anticipate from the new school bus rules on traffic? As we all now when there's no schools in the traffic is much lighter.

What are the new school bus rules?

I don't think I've ever seen/noticed a school bus in Galway City.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Also curious, I admit I might not be as up to date as some but I'm in the dark totally on this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

MOD NOTE: Move on now please, no need for this conversation at all.

At least 161,000 pupils currently get school buses.

In the period up to 2030, the “nearest school” rule is to be abolished, which requires a student applying to the school transport scheme to choose the nearest school to their house and reducing the distance rules.

Under current rules, a primary school pupil must live >3.2 km from their school to qualify for a bus place. This will go to 2km, then 1km, depending on funding.

A post-primary school pupil must live >4.8km from their school to qualify for a bus place under the school transport scheme. This will go to 2km, depending on funding. This will significantly expand the number of pupils who qualify for the scheme.

bonkers electioneering imo, ie. if you don’t have to go to the nearest school you could end up with 10 children living on a road demanding that they go to different schools

Thanks to everybody on this thread who contributed to the #Barriers2Galway

Need to eliminate a pile of kissing gates and knock many walls to free up the NETWORK.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭berrecka

I must say, its a pleasure to cycle through the forest park behind Dunnes Terryland since the kissing gates have been removed, its certainly an improvement on battling the lights and cars on the headford road. I come straight through from the bridge though, its dicey enough going straight where the cars go blindly through the cycle lane to get into the filter lane onto the Headford Road.

Ya challenging alright, all those left turn filters on this junction.

Cars blocking these ultra efficient cycle lanes is common at all hours of the day on all arms of this junction.

Ooh, Galway's own road spatial project!

Am going to buy the POSTER!!

They are going to do this

http://dataphys.org/list/congestion-visualization/

Its based on this 1991 poster from Múnster, DE

If ONLY they had seen this in City Hall in the 1990's we would NOT be in the CAR traffic mess we are currently in.

• Advertisement

Colm McCarthy (economist UCD) discussing road maintenance budgets just said on Radio1 that "people have lost their entire cars in potholes in Conamara". Is that true, are they that bad?

Yes it is true - Colm lost his car on this bog road he was driving on when visiting Connemara. He took a wrong turn and what he calls a pothole was actually this bog lake: https://maps.app.goo.gl/vmznGSPWda8ZoMSU7

How one would drive into that I wonder?

Tractor with the double bog tyre extensions was able to pull it out no bother.

Last two comments deleted no conjecture, PM if further discussion wanted, do not ask on thread

Grem

Private car 'biggest barrier' to faster, more reliable bus services - Dublin Bus CEO

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0508/1448026-bus-committee/

mostly discussing Dublin in this article but this line popped out:

"

At present, just 2% of the kilometres travelled by Bus Éireann vehicles in Co Cork are in bus lanes, the committee heard.

"

I 'd say the Galway City figure is somewhat similar ? Anybody have the percentages?

Helen McEntee and Drew Harris will open a new garda station An Spidéal at midday today.

Opportunity to see some of our traffic mess enroute to and from and have a tut tut tut about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I walked across the Quincentenary Bridge yesterday from the Headford Road direction towards Westside. When I got to the Newcastle Road junction and waited for the pedestrian light to turn green, I had to wait even longer as 4 drivers went through my crossing after the light had turned red for them. That's not counting at least as many who ignored the 'amber means stop' law and who would easily have been able to stop safely.

Then, as I was approaching the Browne Roundabout, I saw an elderly lady with a walking stick waiting on the island on the Thomas Hynes Road exit with no one letting her cross. She was still standing there when I got to that island so my blood was boiling at the lack of consideration and I stepped into the road and held up my hand to get the next driver coming around the roundabout to stop and let her cross. He was good natured about it, and we gave one another a nod of acknowledgement, but it was clear that he, like the drivers before him, had no intention of stopping for her if I hadn't stepped out.

It's maddening that this crossing has been allowed to exist like this for so long, that drivers display such a lack of consideration for their vulnerable neighbours, and that even when some pedestrian crossings are added to this roundabout next year, this arm will be left as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭GBXI

I honestly wouldn't blame the drivers in this scenario - drivers can come around the roundabout, exit onto the road your referring to and to stop could be seen dangerous to them in terms of being rear-ended. The answer here is never to rely on good nature but to have a system that manages it well. The pedestrian access to/from that roundabout is an embarassment. It's 2024, how has it not been upgraded? It's heavily used every day by pedestrians. It's also really close to the university and the hospital. The mind boggles.

It will still exist "post upgrade" of the Roundabout the N59 Thomas Hynes and N6 are not getting any pedestrian crossings at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As a pedestrian I NEVER want drivers to stop particularly near RAB exits.

Just keep going and get the fùck out of the way: I will happily wait for the gap, which does always come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

@GBXI I honestly wouldn't blame the drivers in this scenario - drivers can come around the roundabout, exit onto the road your referring to and to stop could be seen dangerous to them in terms of being rear-ended.

It's a judgement call. I wouldn't stop if there was another driver right up my rear but, if there was a reasonable gap between me and the following driver, I would.

It wasn't the case when I did my driving test but I know that more recent learners are told that they shouldn't stop to let pedestrians cross in this case. There's no legal basis for it, and in fact it could be viewed as illegal advice as pedestrians have priority at junctions if they've already started to cross, but it seems to be the received wisdom these days.

Advertisement