Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to get a GUI handicap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Do you know of any course that does not enforce it or are you speculating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I seen these figures before- serious rate of participation in Ireland compared to almost everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So our on course participation per capita..(without doing actual maths ) is phenomenal versus rest .

Must be highest in world..(per capita)

But to add something about that ,seems odd...no way 1/4 of the population play golf ?

Like do 1/4 of the people you know play golf...not a chance...?

Must be double counting somehow...

Is it not 1/7 play golf?

It says ireland so I assume the whole island.

Golf is extremely accessible here and the UK compared to most other countries in the world.

We balk at paying 1500 a year for a world class course. When I lived in New York a half decent club could cost 100k hello money and 12-15k a year after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Anyone that wants a handicap without club membership can simply join somewhere with cheap distance membership like Slievenamon for €150 and away you go.

It's pretty much what iGolf offers - and doesn't affect club membership around Ireland one jot. Same as any iGolf introduction won't. This product is not for club members.

There are lots of people in Ireland that would be doing well to play 10 rounds a year due to kids, work etc. This product is for them. They will either not bother playing golf or pay for something like this where they might occasionally get a round in. I'm one of these people.

This product is not for someone who has the time to play golf. They will still join their local club and all the benefits that come with it. I'll likely do the same when either the kids have fled the nest or I've retired. In the meantime it's either Slievenamon or iGolf for me.

Post edited by davegilly on

Yes - that makes more sense - but even 1/7th is considerable larger versus say 1/18 in uk - or the nearest I see is USA 1/13 - Sweden is impressive at 1/10.

It looks like scotland at 1/5.6 - beats Ireland and Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭bobster453

If someone only plays 10 or so rounds a year why do they need a handicap in the first place? Makes no sense imo.

Surely they would be better off just paying green fees.

In a modern world where we are data driven ..People watch anything they do in some sort of app ..basically if there is a tool to record golf ..People will do it ..particularly the next generation...

People record slow 5 k runs

Share their cycles and walks.

Golf is the ultimate as a data driven sport .

And even if you are a casual / society golfer ..or a bunch of friends ...give a group a tool to record their performance or enable them to get more connected in some way to a community they will do it.

It would also be extremely useful to use computing for scoring and cards...because let's be honest this is all way too much of a dark art and always done poorly by more casual golfers ..even some that should know better..

Whilst I find it daft ...I can see motivation behind company / GI .

What GI need to be careful of is, that they are not giving away something far more valuable or impacting on their core community...clubs and regular golfers...

As has been mentioned above they could generate something..but not give full benefits..like a part member/ associated member...

By right GI should do it themselves..not sure the need for a 3rd party ...but such is the modern world were you use a 3rd party to buy a pizza..

AFAIK igolf is to be set up as an affiliated club this way it will meet the requirements og Golf Ireland constitution.

Speaking to a few various club professionals over the past week or so all were of the opinion that this would destroy club golf in Ireland.

When i said about it being in England one mentioned completely different demographic of golfer there thats why it works..havent looked at that enough to comment one way or the other.

Another mentioned possibility of clubs witholding Golf Ireland subs unril this notion is got rid of.

A lot of questions and concerns among clubs about this and GI are doing themselves no favours the way it is being communicates..ie..a fait accompli.

• Advertisement

Look it is up to GI to show fairly conclusively that this is aligned with their strategy to grow and open up the game .

And more importantly that it does not impact on golf clubs.

Asking a few pros or opinions is not really going to cut the mustard.

I can see how getting more people aligned with how golf actually works feeds into the larger golf ecosystem eventually..and it creates a more diverse and connected golf community, and it gives much easier access to conventional golf...

We are also ignoring a bit here ..that many clubs use Open competitions as an important part of their business model.

So certain clubs have created a market for this type of thing themselves. They can hardly be pumping out open golf competitions and then be critical of creating golfers for it...

Would agree golf culture a bit different here ..but do we know if that is good or bad ? or why Scotland went for it ? ...Scotland could hardly be very very different golf culture wise ?

But again up to GI to give overwhelming evidence why this is a good idea. I've found in golf when something new is introduced...it is fairly resistant to change...very..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

problem is how it was presented to clubs, basically as a done deal and there was no questions allowed

Well that is not acceptable - if you want to win hearts and minds , explain, show data and show the gains for everyone.

The fact this was not done is of itself indicative that GI knows the negative impact it will have on clubs but all they can see is euro signs.

Clubs are struggling as it is.I believe NAMA paid a visit to a few more last week. Something like this may be all it takes to push more over the edge.

Then GI can have igolf all they want but nobody will be able to afford to play anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This will be fantastic for Young lad's who can't afford a full membership and want a handicap to try improve and play opens around the place.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I would have loved it in my 20s.

Didn't know anyone in a golf club - and didn't want to be in a golf club. But would love to enter a comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

I hear what you're saying, but at the same time golf is booming right now in Ireland. Numbers playing got a massive boost over COVID and I'm sure a lot of those members stayed on. Entrance fees are back, subs are increasing all over the country, cheap green fees are gone, clubs have waiting lists and full time sheets. If a club is struggling to stay afloat now, you have to wonder why. Are they badly run? That's fixable, but very hard to turn around. Are they laden with debt? You're always walking a tightrope if you can't get your debt down. Or are they just not viable where they are? Maybe too small a catchment area, too much competition, too expensive for the area, etc?

I'd be amazed if clubs lose significant numbers from this. I'd say the rise in popularity of triathlons or cycling has taken more members from golf clubs in recent years than this will. I'd say the growing popularity of padel might be a bigger threat.

One thing I will say in defence of struggling clubs is that costs have never been higher in clubs. Restaurants / bars are struggling nationwide. I'm sure golf clubs ones are no different. I don't know about maintenance but I wouldn't be surprised if wages / fertiliser / machinery / whatever else are very expensive right now. But with the revenue side of golf so strong right now, if a club can't survive it's a sad fact that perhaps they just aren't viable now.

Strange Bobster - Nama on the scene - unless the course are still in Nama ?

And fair enough you couldn't fault nama getting rid of their last assets at this point ?

But your talking about a very specific case - GI are looking (you hope) - at a far more macro level and the overall health of the game and future.

If golf courses are not viable at this time will they ever be ?

I just do not see the logic of how this will grow the game and develop new talent if folks can get a handicap for €55 rather than the current model where one has to pay for membership of a club to get one.

Who will pay 1000 euro plus for a club membership then?

Where will all these people play if clubs cease to exist cos a lot of members left for 55 euro handicaps?

I just cannot see a situation where this can coexist alongside the current model and not have a major negative let alone positive impact.

Can you?

I'd like to see data on what happened to these golfers in Scotland. I'd be very surprised if a considerable amount of them were not new golfers - found it a very easy way to become involved in golf - and eventually graduated to club membership - golf has a great product we should not fear that.

If lads are going to run around the country to save money for a handicap - are they what you want in a club anyway ?

We have seen how lots of sporting associations have grown in Ireland.

be it

GAA / Rugby / Athletics / Tri Ireland

If the end point of this is more people playing golf / with ease of access - I can see it working - or see it as a good thing.

I've introduced maybe 15 people to golf over a period of 15 years - about 1 joined a club. So there is definelty a gap out there - or a need to help people get closer to club golf. Joining a golf club is too big a leap IMO - there is something missing in the golf journey - and Pub golf is dying and in itself a strange and dated way to get into golf.

There is a gap.

• Advertisement

Personally I i think that gap is going to be filled by all the Trackman/Shot-Tracer ranges opening all over the Country.

Everywhere is putting these in now and they are always busy with early 20 something lads and girls, three or four to a bay or two. This is what will bring casual golfers in not some cheap handicap deal.

If these guys like it they will pay a few green fees or join a society and then hopefully progress to joining a club. Most clubs offer an intermediate membership rate for people under 30 anyway so it's all good.

I agree there is a gap that is why clubs offer incentives to certain age demographics.

I firmly believe it is shortsighted and dangerous for the existence of member owned clubs for GI to remove probably one of the biggest selling points..that you have to be a member to acquire a handocap index..to allow hc be purchased for 55 euro(current subscriprion annually in england is 46 pounds.

I imagine clubs will get together to fight this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

In fairness all @bobster453 asked was for you to substantiate your claims as would be normal in any walk of life. I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but you can't make claims and expect everyone to just believe you without backing them up and telling people to do their own research. You clearly have done the research, so why is it so hard to post a link?

I'm lucky enough to know @bobster453 and can tell you that he is one of the most liked members of the Boards Golf Society and an absolute pleasure to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm involved in a members' club in Leinster. Our course is nice and we are relatively expensive compared to neighbouring clubs, but we are almost full. Despite this we struggle to make ends meet.

If the independent golfer scheme comes I will be recommending that we increase the cost of open competitions but offer a discount to club members.

A lot of people, even club members, have no idea how much it costs to operate a golf course to a good standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭paulos53

When iGolf started in England, people had to have been without a club for 6 months before they could join up. That is down to 30 days now.

If Golf Ireland set this at 12 months, would it alleviate the concerns of clubs? I doubt that there are many golfers willing to give up competitive golf for a full year just to get an official handicap on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Is there actually a real need/want for iGolf though ?

As I understand it from reading the comments above (and I haven't looked up the official info so could be completely wrong on this), its effectively a club without a course offering handicaps, or almost like a society offering handicaps whose members will exclusively play opens. If this is the case, why not just join a Slievenamon or similar type club and get the same "benefits" ? Or take out the cheapest membership you can find in one of the courses that offer those flexi memberships where you pay a couple of hundred euro and say €20 is deducted each time you play your home course ? You'd have your 15/20 games that you've pre-paid for in your home course and also the scope to play opens at your leisure for a relatively small outlay compared to a full membership somewhere.

If iGolf ended up with several thousand members, I can't see how the handicaps could be managed or deemed to be even somewhat realistic ? How would they be monitored ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Handicap would be managed on golf ireland when entering the comps.

I think this is as a gateway to golf club membership as it could result in people leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭coillcam

I've a mate who's taken a year out due to family commitments and he can't enter any opens etc. He's raging that he can't play a handful of those comps when his schedule allows. Not sure if he'll come back next year but iGolf (if he didn't have to wait 6 months) would let him play those handful of events. Good example of someone who the system would help keep interested in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Sorry I just cannot understand why he’s “raging”.

He can still play green fee golf when time permits. So he doesn’t have to quit golf.

But where on earth would an expectation that he should be able to compete on his own terms come from?

I’m guessing he’s a road cyclist. They’ve similar convictions about their own self worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭coillcam

Your views of "entitled" cyclists have no relevance and add no value to this discussion.

He's "raging" because he didn't fully understand the implications of taking a leave of absence. €1.5k to a young family with a baby on the way is a significant amount of money for most people. He's still paying part of the sub on his year off to maintain his membership for the following year so he still has an investment in the game.

He's more interested in playing an open competition with his mates rather than a casual round on the few chances he can play. I'm sure he'll get over the frustration pretty quickly and he'd still have taken a leave of absence if he realised his HC was to go on ice. It's not about trying to have his cake and eat it by having full member rights without paying.

I'm simply trying to look at a scenario where iGolf may help keep someone feeling connected and invested in the game. While I'm obviously skeptical of iGolf this would have been a positive example of people may be retained and encouraged back to the game.

Advertisement