Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I think Cleary is probably the one player we really have no replacement for.
    Everyone else on the 15 you’d have a fair idea who could come in for them.

Cian Galvin starts with Lohan injured, no other surprises.

Tony Kelly out of the squad entirely, must be injured

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Rumours doing the rounds he's out for rest of season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Figerty

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭supernova5

positives after this weekend, two round robin points on the board, Limerick beating Tipp and putting them at a minus 15 on the points difference, negatives, don't know how long TK will be out of action now, no sign of Taylor being ready anytime soon, other injuries Lohan, Smyth and possibly others, this upcoming 3 week break and how they use it will tell a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i nearly jumped through the lap top screen and strangled that muppet from sixmilebridge that slagged cleary off last week on here , you know just how honest that lad is both on and off the field and that idiot wanted us to replace him at full back with tony kelly the way he was talking

cleary was our best defender again today against a lightning fast full forward line and the stick he took over the week was disgraceful in the general public , how many performances like today will it take for people to get off the armchair and wind there necks in

i have been talking in block capital letters all evening since full time then i read this balanced assessment of where we stand in munster 😂

that was such a good performance today you would almost feel invincible after it , i suppose this is what happens after being slated all week , i cant imagine how the players feel

sure there were alot of mistakes today like week one , but the level of fight in the team in kelly's absence was unreal , and it was very noticeable for long parts today , a serious achievement for this group of players to seay they have won a championship match away from home against every other team in munster in the last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Gael85

Fair play to Reidy. Had a good game today scoring 3 points. Rodgers was excellent too.

i know lads thought he worked hard last week and he did , but against limerick you need to put the chances away too, reidy was outstanding today in the second half , at half time i was worried , both rodgers and shane o'donnell were coming far too deep to win prime possession , but he came into the game big time his link up play with rodgers and shane o donnell was unreal ,the 3 put on some display in the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

That was a very good win against a good Cork team. I thought Clare tool their scores well. There was a period after half time where we were roasted and if Shane Barratt scored that great goal chance we would have lost. But we got some breaks . Adam Hogan was very lucky today. He dived on a ball and got a free out .. he fouled an awful lot and gave away a bad goal. Cleary was ok..not great. Connolly beat him to ball after ball and missed a good chance. We aren't winning an All Ireland with a goalie and fullback line giving away 3 goals a game.

I thought O Donnell and Rogers were very good but the midfield was average . Joyce ran down the middle of the field twice and caused us awful problems. We've every chance of getting to a Munster final. Shame if Kelly is out but we can't deny they are playing more as a team with him gone

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

That last line is patently wrong. They play differently with Kelly and have to play differently without. Kelly scored 5 -33 last year (or something close) and wasn't of the frees. We are much much weaker without a fully fit Kelly.

Yeah, I thought we struggled at midfield. Cian Galvin had a difficult day, the Morey switch was inevitable.

We do miss Ryan Taylor. And Darragh Lohan too, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭caddy16

Felt sorry for him, not a midfielder really and you could see he was a bit lost. Big ask for him but I suppose options in midfield are somewhat limited.

I suppose picking Morey would have been the easier decision, so fair play to them giving young Galvin a chance.

Paddy Donnellan seems to have dropped down the pecking order, I saw he was listed among the subs.

reality is we are in a transition mode while still being competitive , lohan deserves some amount of credit for it , the team we beat today has won 3 out of the last 4 all ireland under 20s and the manager is afraid to bring in too many new lads

being honnest we were bare in midfield today , the really loss of kelly and ryan taylor showed for about 50 odd minutes , the cork changes helped as well , colman offered nothing and dalton was a huge loss for them going off ,

your bang on re adam hogan , we got more then the rub of the green today , roary hayes should be shot for the horgan goal ,

i know you love cleary but just wont admit it 😂

daragh lohan is a huge loss , he was massive last week his workrate is up there with malones but he has great movement and adds to the attack , he is also as chippy as **** and has an arrogance about him that fears nobody

paddy was probably a 6th sub option for work rate , in fairness lohan goes for workrate first flair second

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭17togo

Cleary drives me mad. He might be the nicest and most honest lad in the world but he's a massive weak link for us. He has no hurling in him, he's just big and awkward and just wrestles with lads. I have no confidence in him as our fullback. Any of the other big teams have fullbacks that can actually defend and hurl. Likewise, I think we'll always struggle the win a munster or all Ireland with him there. But I'd love to be proven wrong. I feel better getting that off my chest. 😂

And as you've said the keeper behind him doesn't instill much confidence either.

and what happened when we replaced him with a proper defender in cian nolan , , modern day intercounty hurling is gone miles over your heads

yes lets praise adam hogan for not getting sent off today when on another day he could have picked up 3 or 4 yellow cards , not to talk about roary hayes and the disaster of a second half he had ,what he done for the horgan free is worse then anything that cleary ever done , duplicated posts i take it

you wont win many friends with that isreal flag around here , it may as well be a union jack , and you know what we think about them 😤

• Advertisement

Did I say Cian Nolan was the answer? But 1 player didn't work out so we give up looking?!

And modern day intercounty hurling is more technical and skillful than it used to be 20 years ago, in the era where Cleary might fit in. Your obviously a fan of his, genuinely can you enlighten me on what he does that makes him good enough.

no what you did say was cleary was an accident waiting to happen , i provided you with two readymade accidents today in rory hayes and adam hogan ,how well you missed both ,

cleary did nothing wrong today while the other two were skinned , aaron connelly could have two goals got in the first half but for quilligan and the crossbar and roary hayes's man got two goals , one while his back was turned to the play

but thats fine because they are great hurlers , perfect !!!

Outstanding at club level last year at mid-field and wing forward. Has more hurling that Malone or others. He's playing the containment roles with Conlon in front sweeping. It's called being a team player.

dont take any notice of them idiots , its all selective bullshit , if they were really angry with our defending today hogan and hayes wouldn't be speared

lads that were taught how to play tippy tappy hurling at underage and dont want their neighbours from east clare disgraced at the same time

jack brown cleary and malone are the scapegoats , all west claremen , imagine one of them found themselves 40 yards away from there man with 5 minutes to go , god help us all 🙈 shower of idiots full stop

Post edited by Clareman on

No I didn't say he was an accident waiting to happen, I said he's a weak link. I was simply replying to another poster that mentioned Cleary.

You'll pick up on the 2 other players that had off day's today, but have played brilliantly other days. But you've no problem with your boy constantly fouling his man and giving away needless frees, in every game.

If he was a proper defender he might try defend instead of dragging out of lads. For a lad his size you rarely see him winning ball in the air....

When his player wins the ball you can be fairly sure it'll be a foul given against him or a score.

You still haven't told me what he does that makes him good enough, and not a weak link.

And I've no idea what's meant by your last line. Are you trying to say having a player in Cleary style is better than having talented hurlers?!

Fair enough if he's outstanding at club level in those positions, still doesn't make him good enough to be an intercounty full back with a team hoping to win an all Ireland.

And maybe having a full back who's purpose is containment is a problem for us?

Hue lawlor or Dan Morrissey don't play that way.

hes from east clare he knows more about hurling then we ever will apparently !!

i picked two players that off days last week and again this week you are picking on a player that has yet to have a bad day and is captain of the team , **** back to the pub with your mates and leave the form to us ,

i am sure there will be a soccer match on soon to keep ye occupied

its beyond the pale putting up with idiots like this at this stage

So explain it to me then.

😂😂

Your the one who said its above my head, oh learned one. But yet you still can't explain what he does that makes him good enough.

Again this week?? This is the first time I've posted on here in ages. Maybe make a better attempt at perving at my profile Sherlock.

Didn't realise people were only allowed like one sport..... Or not have mates..... Or go to the pub.....

Play the ball not the man.... Unlike Cleary 😂😂😂

Touched a nerve criticising, so if your not willing to come back with an articulate response then I'll leave you to be president of his fanclub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭KIB4Life

Personally thought all the full back line very shaky today, especially towards the end of the first half and start of second half but settled into the game after that.

As regards Hayes man in Horgan scoring two goals the first one Hogan was at fault for, poor control from him and the second half the whole team seemed to fall asleep from Horgan’s free.

So slightly harsh singling him out for them moments. But to be honest but for Cork’s poor finishing we would have been in bother at half time.

Cleary has improved a lot and has grown into the full back position. Does a lot of holding/wrestling with his man. To me he does too much of it and is lucky at times with how much he does.

Advertisement