Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will dispute and settlement talks

Options
  • 28-04-2024 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

My parents passed away and left a will dividing their whole estate among 4 children. House and 30acre farm. 3 girls, 1 boy.

The boy disputed the will and said that he was pro used the land. He has no proof of this and was asked to show this in discovery documents. He does not have any receipts to show he did anything with the farm when parents were alive.

Mothers medical notes to the social worker and psychologist state 'she was being bullied by her son' lots more details but I won't go in to it.

Over the last 7 years he refused settlement talks. Now that he has seen this information he wants settlement talks.

Have any of you been through settlement talks. Will I get anything near my quarter?

Should he have to pay his own costs?

Not sure what to expect from these talks.

I do not have my own solicitor. The estate solicitor has been very helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ted222

Forgive my ignorance but why are settlement talks even necessary?

The executor has an obligation to discharge the will in accordance with your parents’ wishes. Now that the son has seen the information, surely the path is clear to revert to the original terms of the will and split things four ways.

It’s what you’re entitled to and I wouldn’t settle for anything less. He’s messed you around for seven years already. He should also cover any costs that wouldn’t have arisen if he hadn’t dragged things out.

I think the executor should have been a bit more proactive in settling matters rather than allowing things drag out this length.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lateron

He had threatened court action as he was saying he was promised the farm. He can not prove this and thankfully there is reference to this on my mother hospital notes.

He obviously wants the farm. He will try to twist everything around to his way. Thing is he doesn't have money to buy us out.

I want to settle and get this over and done with. But not sure what to agree to in talks. I am adamant that he pays his own legal costs as I don't believe he would win in court.

If he wants the farm he also needs my father's herd number. Can I put a monetary value on that?.

This is so unsettling for me as I am usually up to date with things and read up on them. There is nothing online to advise me on settlement talks. I can not afford a solicitor.

Anyone know how far I can push things.

It’s one thing threatening legal action and another thing actually going through with it.

I’d question what the executor’s role has been. In the absence of any legal challenge (rather than the threat of one), this should really have been discharged years ago.

I know it’s not my business but if I was you, I wouldn’t bother with settlement talks. Why should you if the will is clear? Settlement implies you’re willing to concede on your entitlement. Why should you?

I would simply lean on the executor to discharge the will as they’re legally obligated to do. Seven years, when there’s no legal challenge, is taking the mickey.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is nothing to discuss or settle. The deceased have made their wishes known very clearly and if this person is not satisfied then it is entirely up to them to engage a solicitor and challenge the will. For your part you, you need to stand up for yourself and respect your parents wishes - tell the solicitor you won’t be going to any such talks and that you expect him to carry out the term of the will as he is legally required to do. And then just disengage and leave it to this clown to do whatever he is going to do because he will never be satisfied.

Thank you. I will have to attend on Monday anyway. But I will mention this to the barrister for the estate when I meet him.

The executor is a lady who works in the solicitors office. She is more than useless and has allowed the estate to devalue.

It is really good to get an opinion from someone that is not involved or knows them.

For my brother to want talks after 7 years shows that my mothers hospital notes has made him nervous. (he only received these notes recently). This shows that he is afraid to go to court.

• Advertisement

It is so good to get someone else's perspective on this.

I have been questioning myself all week. At the end of the day he stole from and bullied my parents. Their wills are very clear. They wanted it divided 4 ways.

One thing I am adamant on is that he will have to pay his costs. I will also get money for the herd number as he does not have one.

If I do not show up for settlement talks it does not look good in my favour if he does take it to court.

I am in a really strong position.

Thank you for commenting. We take strength from those around us, even online.

Whoever advised you to consider settlement talks is not acting in your best interests. It sounds like a very straightforward will that should have been discharged years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭sundodger5

As far as i know the executor would be liable if the estate has devalued due to not being dealt with promptly. Keep that in mind if further delays are thrown at you.

It would be a useful card to throw down if needed.

I would be holding out for the will to be dealt with as written.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So I’m going to assume that you and your two sisters are at one with this, yes?
    Then I think the 3 of you need to visit a solicitor and tell your story- they will be able to advise . I especially recommend this if there’s even a hint of a court challenge.

In terms of legal costs, it’s again something you need to enquire about- in the past, if some party disrupted the will, the tendency was for the costs to come out of the estate- that doesn’t necessarily happen anymore - and from what you’re saying, it looks like your brother doesn’t have a leg to stand on so he’s now trying for second best- “settlement” - a solicitor would be able to advise but my gut (and it’s only my opinion based on what you’ve said) - is that he’s completely bluffing - you can bet your bottom dollar he has received legal advice - you need to get that too from an independent solicitor.

As others have said you need to start asserting yourself more and get your sisters to start speaking as one voice - he’ll soon change his tune I guarantee you.

In terms of solicitors costs, you may end up agreeing on payment method - you may not have to pay straight away - just speak to one first and explore from there.
    The length of time from death to execution of the will is very long too - a solicitor will be able to help in terms of moving this along -

He has tried all sorts, tried to get the executor changed in the beginning. He was not successful with that.

The talks are because he has threatened legal action. He has looked for them.

You are right. I will go to the talks and will only settle for my quarter and he is to pay his costs.

I spoke to the valuer for the estate and he has valued the farm higher than what it is and the house lower. I do have people on my side as they see what he has done.

I am going to have notes written up for myself and make those valid points when I see the executor tomorrow ( this is my only chance to see her as she ignores any communication from me.)

And if it goes to court he will be seen for the liar he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭csirl

If he wants to go into farming let him get his own herd number.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

There is no value in the herd number, anyone can get one from the Dept once you fill the terms ie have access to land and animal handling facilities. What there is value in, is the "entitlements" which are linked to the land and generate some income to the owner annually and they can be bought and sold by agri advisors / consultants. In this case they could be lost if not used for 3 years (I think) or they could have already been transferred.

You definitely need advice and it may not be as expensive as you think, but without it you could end up losing alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Your brother should be entirely responsible for his own legal costs.

The main questions I would have in any 'settlement' is whether any additional executor costs and devaluation of the estate should also be bourne in full by him, after all it is his actions which are the root cause of those additional costs.

I'd suggest him being responsible for his own legal costs and any additional legal costs of the executor and devaluation of the estate are taken from his share of the estate should be a starting point for any 'settlement' talks.

If he walks away with his 1/4 share and paying his own legal costs he will have done well in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gullivers Travels

Yet another family at odds over a will. Unfortunately bitter disputes evolve around wills and the break down of assets. Families taking sides and never speaking to each other again.

You are right another family at odds. However, your comment is not assisting me in any way.

Please do add if you have something helpful to recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jackboy

Am I right that your executor is not a family member? Just wondering why that person was made executor? If it is someone that is getting nothing from the estate it could explain why they are not proactive and letting things drag out.

The executor is not a family member. She was a law clerk in the solicitors office and was executor for several wills.

The delay is due to my brother sending letters etc to say he was taking legal action.

It has take way too long. I would love to have it over and done with and get something from the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭csirl

If your brothet has been sending letters for 7 years, threatening legal action and NOT actually taking legal action, then maybe he has no intention to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jackboy

Just remember it is likely legal bills are building up in the background, seven years of them. A large chunk of the estate may be lost anyway to pay this off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This is an important consideration OP, the entitlements linked to your father's herd number. Who has been farming the land since your parents passed? If it's your brother, is it possible that the herd number and/or entitlements were transferred over to him prior to your parents' passing?

This seems unlikely, given he can't produce any proof of having farmed the land before, and in the absence of a previous transfer, and if he hasn't been farming the land since, it surely weakens his case further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ask the executor when they are likely to execute the will. They shouldn't be paying attention to unsubstantiated haranguing letters based on alleged hearsay. Let your brother take legal action if he wants, but it's likely a bluff. I wouldn't agree to settlement talks, which sounds like it would just be a shouting match where your brother tries to strong-arm the other 3 beneficiaries into agreeing to gift him their shares.

Really, it's between your brother and the executor. If he takes legal action it will be between him and the executor. I don't see why you or your sisters should be worried about legal costs as it's not your fight.

I do wonder whether it shouldn't be appropriate for the executor to deduct their legal costs in fighting a challenge from a benneficiary, from their share of the estate.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should have someone with you who knows how to negotiate.

The most important things are knowing what you want, what you and others are entitled to and what you are willing to give up to settle. Write these things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The brother hasn't even started legal proceedings and he wants ye to settle with him? He has a neck like you know what!

Get the executor to start doing her duty and let him off to start proceedings.....

Thank you so much. I felt worn down by all this and now I feel I am back to fight for what my parents wanted.

I will let this go to court if it has to. I have always said quarter of nothing is nothing. I have nothing to loose.. I have to stand up for my right.

Thank you

He has delayed in every way possible. These talks are only going ahead now because I believe he is backed into a corner. Based on my mother's hospital notes alone he will be shown to be a bully and thief. He has not put in papers to the court only hundreds of solicitors letters. I am adamant that he will be paying all the costs, his and his executor.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have to stand up for my right.

Until now, you and your sisters haven't been doing this. Your brother needs to be politely told to sit down and shut up or take it to court but this carry on with threats is benefitting nobody but the solicitors.

If your brother wants the farm then he can borrow from a bank and buy you out (presumably at market value) but he has no more right to it than you or your sisters.

My brother has Ben farming and using my late father's herd number. I have sent numerous letters to the executor regarding this. He has benefitted by selling my father's herd and pocketing the money and more then likely receiving the grants each year.

He does not have a qualification to have his own herd number so he really needs my father's of he wants to farm. That is why I am going to put a monetary value on it. I know that might sound harsh but he can't have it all his own way.

The talks are due tomorrow. I won't be in a room with anyone. The two barristers will speak to each party independently. My sisters are the same. They want the will as laid down by my parents, which is equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The fact that "he does not have proof of this" in relation to a specific promise would not necessarily be fatal to a claim in proprietary estoppel for such scenarios. But he would need proof of other factors too. Based on what you have outlined, it wouldn't seem likely to succeed. But you'd need to talk to a solicitor and tell them all the details. Don't put too much weight on random internetters.

What you have going for you in your favour is that he is an equal beneficiary under the same will. So whatever he burns through in legal fees will hurt him as much as the other parties.

• Advertisement

I have asked the solicitor for the estate for figures, e.g the value of farm and house, cattle at date of father's passing, amount for farm grants since he passed. I have not recieved them. If I don't have them by 10am I am going to cancel myself.

I do want them to go ahead as I want to see what is on offer. I do know I can refuse and he can either take us to court or the executor has to execute the will.

I will let ye all know how I get on

Advertisement