Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

A while back there was a poster came on here that was finding it difficult to achieve good performance on a leased land block in a dairy startup and was looking for possible solutions. Just wondering were there any developments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,273 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No I do not look down on them MJ, it's just each to his own. If I had no young lad interested in farming I might do it myself, howeverits a limited business and if you want to work within those limits that grand. I prefer to work.on the edge. Both of my lads interested in farming they see it as a good business along with a good job

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Hard see any dairy startups being successful at the minute unless an entrant has a few €100k under the mattress they want to invest and 150+ acres of good owned land to start off on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If I had cattle out on a 2 acre paddock in March for a fortnight. There would be mud a foot deep and ploughing would be the only thing to straighten out. The middle of April was being adventurous to end the near 200 days inside for the stronger ones.

That a chain harrow alone would get it broken for seeding and looking that well after this spring, never mind livestock on it in March is just beyond what I know of land, but then again the first time i read about lads rolling a field as a part of regular management. Mind blown incredible.

The phrase "different country" is more and more true. It can be true for many lads I know to say that beef since September 22 has been horrific money wise and for others to say things are looking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Are sacrificed paddocks no longer acceptable under nitrates regulations, like the ring feeder in the one place for the winter and run off due to water quality.

• Advertisement

I d find it very hard to encourage someone to invest significantly in a milking startup at the moment. I met a friend of mine lately and he told me his son had started out this year and asked me had I any advice.i said he should put his hand in his pocket and keep it there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,246 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If there's a bad slow set up milking. Then the next generation and even this one would consider quitting. If there's a good fast swift set up. It can coax everyone to go another 10, 20 years. Even down to parlour mats it means a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Going to 170 is going to be a big change for alot of us. Any investments being made here now are based on losing derogation. Alot of lads will farm without the BISS for a while I'd say as its a small payment for alot of people.

UCD lyons farm gives alot of hope and is very interesting what they are doing. Heard from finbar mulligan recently and he made the most sense I heard in a long time about feeding a cow adequately in spring especially. He mentioned bad advice about under feeding and a few other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭ginger22

But ICBF have it all sorted, use a team of at least 10 bulls to improve your chances of breeding a good one.

Like buying more lottery tickets will increase your chances of winning the big one.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/equal-use-of-bulls-across-herd-a-critical-element-in-breeding-icbf/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭older by the day

Reading your question, you talk about cows, and you're father and your not mad about the office but you have not said what you want? Do you want to milk seven days a week, do you want to work and have dry cattle, do you want to lease,

Have you a partner or family. If you do want to milk and work it's possible but hard. Be truthful to yourself. What do you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Why so? Doing 510kg solids on 1.5 tonnes meal and stocked over 3 doesn't seem like a post 170 recipe? That's where Lyons are at.

Ya No longer acceptable but at times needs must. It 5++ years since I had to do something like that

Slava Ukrainii

Mine were going down a foot in places mostly 6-8". They went back out of it first week in April.

It cured up fast after that.

Slava Ukrainii

Stocked at 2.33 I thought. They are proving that the smaller dairy farm can sill be viable whereas teagasc and the farmers journal have written off the smaller guy for years in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Jack98

2.33 is basically what you can stock to at 220kgN/ha now

Ya, that's why they are set at that. They had to drop stocking rate when derogation was cut. I just like the idea of less cows and more milk. There isn't too many places on Ireland that you can get advice like they give and a working example. 1.5 ton isn't that much feed when you get up around 600 kgMs.

Their cows are eating 24 kg DM whereas teagasc and co barely allocate 18.

No they always looked at higher SR I think, at least for milking area. You can have any stocking rate you like if you count outside ground.

The output from the herd is very good but nothing too extraordinary at the same time. The underlying production costs are quite high, never mind the capital spend which is dreamland as far as smaller scale operators are concerned. They have basically put a high EBI cow on different systems and shown she can milk and go in calf. I dont see how that's too much different to what we knew already.

I would question how they are proving anything regarding scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,246 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There was a dairy sale in Carnew a few days ago most stock bought by dealers at killing price. A 45 litre yielding cow made 1100. It's not an everyday occurance either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Big factor there is that is serious land in Lyons Estate to start with, grow a lot of grass and free drainage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

13 different friesan bulls being used here between heifers and cows. 4 for heifers 9 on the cows

Don’t see what the fuss is about tbh. Our herd is improving a bit every year and I’m happy with the stock. That’s what matters

I didn’t pick that many because ICBF said so either, what I picked have good ebis but I didn’t go chasing the new young hot shots. I picked them on my criteria and what I think is working here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

Ah sure if I was being honest I'm not 100% sure on either option.

Office job is a pain in the hole, but 45 hours a week. Milking be the best job in the world if it was those hours, but facing into twice daily milking for 10 months isn't great with young kids and a house half built.

Suppose my opinion might change when the house is built and kids are a bit older.

Not the figures I was shown. Closer to 600. The first few years were low alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭ginger22

There is for and against with the "good" land, they suffer from the drought in summer. Heavier land that has been well drained can be far more productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Team of bulls is the biggest cop out and should be seen as a red flag. Should confidently be able to pick a handful of the top bulls that fit your philosophy to cover you for inbreeding and calving ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭jaymla627

what i cant understand is why amercian genomic proofs 90% of the time for any unproven bulls ive used always seem to mirror the bulls daughter proofs our outpreform them, the irish high ebi genomic bulls are still a lucky dip….

Its unbelivable the f and p the american/canadian ai bulls have risen by 4.4 plus bf and 4.4 pr at 13000 litres is been achieved by the latest bulls daughters

If the irish breeding program was working nationally 5% bf and 4 % pr herd averages should be the norm instead of the exception

I would suggest that if we continue to constrain fertilizer use in the coming years we ll really start to separate the good from the bad.improved ground is strongly reliant on getting bag fertilizer afterwards and I'm already seeing the effects of reduced use in terms of sward resilience

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Your last sentence reminds me of one of the reasons I didn’t go milking in 2021. I bought heifers and put them in calf but ended up selling them rather than calving down and milking myself.

Several different parts didn’t stack up at that stage and one of them was having 3 young children: 4, 7, and 11.

All going well I’ll be milking next year and they’ll be 9, 12, and 16. They’re old enough to do a few jobs around the yard, if they want a few quid, but more importantly there’s a different vibe around the house now that they’re older and don’t need as much physical babysitting. It’s all relative thou - someone else might say 4, 7, and 11 was old enough.

I’ll send you a DM and happy to chat “offline” at any stage

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭older by the day

Definitely, you have to be a good farmer, when all you have is heavy ground. The wetter ground around here is only starting to grow grass now. You have to push the first rotation out to the 10th of May this year. I'd gladly put up with a couple of weeks of drought.

Another big difference is whether ground is north or south facing. Makes a big difference in spring

Advertisement