Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challengers

Options
  • 20-06-2023 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭

Director is luca guadagnino and a strong lead trio, count me in!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,410 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross doing the soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 60,374 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

April 26th release date after a long delay due to the strikes.

Challengers currently scoring 97% on Rotten Tomatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭SheepsClothing

This was really great. Some people might go looking for a greater meaning to all the goings on and either reach for that meaning, or come away with the conclusion, like I did, that there's not much there in that regard. Personally I'm not bothered by that aspect as the film, as it is so propulsive in its direction and score that it sweeps you away in a whirlwind of energy. It felt like a David Fincher film in some ways.

When I first saw the trailer, I wasn't sold on the two male leads in the film playing the part of professional athletes and sexual beings generally. Frankly I thought they looked like a pair of dweebs. However, in the end I think they were both good, with Josh O'Connor in particular being the best part of the film. He manages to have a constant knowing grin throughout the movie, where you simultaneously understand he's an asshole, while grudgingly liking him all the same.

In conclusion, my favourite film of the year as of now.

9/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Terrific stuff, definitely Guadagnino's best work in a while.

Not sure how much a lot of it would hold up under scrutiny, especially some of the characterisation. But that doesn't really matter when the film is so vibrant, frothy and fun. It's just a funny, sweaty, sexy and cool take on a messy love triangle. It's playful and melodramatic, whipping up actual storms and pelting tennis balls right at the camera to emphasise the brute force of the emotional dynamics at play. It's not subtle, and it embraces that lack of subtlety in the very visual make-up of the film. The score is particularly fun - roaring techno at the film's dramatic crescendos, but also often during dialogue scenes. I could barely make out the dialogue in one or two scenes due to the pulsating beats at the top of the mix, but it didn't really matter when the tone and register was as vivid as it is here.

Some great performances all round too. Between this and the superb La Chimera, Josh O'Connor is having a hell of a year. He's such a wonderfully scuzzy yet charismatic presence here: despicable yet engaging. Both he and Faist go from cringey teenage goofiness to more complex, messy adults. There's an argument that some of Tashi's characterisation is left understated and unsaid in what's otherwise a big, broad movie, but Zendaya is a star and totally sells the charisma she needs too.

Above all, just great entertainment - not sure I've seen a scene this year electrify a cinema quite as much…

…as Zweig grinning and touching the middle of his racket during that final match.

There's a lot of directorial wit and style to admire here, but honestly it's just great fun to go along with the ride too.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Saw this last night, I didn't get the fuss. A lot of style, very little substance.

Advertisement