Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** things about the 70s,80s,90s...that don't happen now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Car windscreens and number plates being covered in dead insects after a long summer's drive. (Still happens but nothing compared to how it used to be)

Careful control of the choke to ensure a car didn't cut out or use too much fuel before pushing the choke in.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Dogs roaming around especially on bin day when the bins were just black bags piled up outside...

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Pushing cars to get them to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Worrying about that little rent/mortgage guy with his pink receipts getting robbed...again!

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

UTV News announcements asking key holders to return to their premises.

Bus conductors taking your fare and giving you a ticket from a mechanical device

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree. The advant of the modern computer has just made people lazy and less ambitious

No way. People got away with that? When did it stop? We could only afford a brand new car in the late 90s. Never had any untill then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I remember that up to the late 80s anyway - though would have associated it more with the old number plate system, which went out in 1986. What was the advantage of waiting till January though?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

sitting downstairs back row on a Dublin bus and wondering if you’d need a hearing aid for the rest of your life such was the roaring din of those engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Robbing apples from orchards. We would always go too early when they were inedible. Just hungry I guess. Or a fear of scurvy.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

we had single pane glass in the 1970 and 80 - waking up,with ice on the inside of,the glass after frosty nights

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Rotten smog-filled air in the winter months in my early teens, it would get on your clothes and some days you could hardly see anything in the distance.

Dogsh*te everywhere, especially on those little grassy verges between the pavement and street in suburbia where I grew up.

Adults of all ages hobbling and limping around with awful posture - I was told that was due to rickets being widespread in the bad old days.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭jmreire

Your car registration was a year younger if you registered in say January 2000 or Dec. 1999. There were often good deals to be had when garages were trying to meet end of year sale targets. Oct, Nov, Dec The trick was to try delaying registration until Jan of the following year. It's different now with 2 registrations per year. But the old "For Reg" trick no long longer works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I think that's a bad thing now, shows there is a lot less insects, which is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I witnessed that happening two weeks ago in my estate. It wasn't successful, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,941 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

Children with one lens of spectacles taped over to cure "lazy eye".

"Tartans".

Limbless ex-servicemen in Remembrance Sunday parades.

Angel Delight.

Smokers with yellow finger-ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

Leaded Petrol, Seat Belts existence/compliance. Really, and I mean really bald tyres and 'Ply Tyres'. Optional Handbrakes. Topping up brake fluid and checking dip sticks for oil levels every week. Liam Brady advertising 'Havolin Motor Oil' on TV. Actually, there could be a full thread on motoring differences…

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Waiting years to get a telephone installed. For those fortunate enough to afford a phone.

Absolutely sh*t roads that were little better than goat tracks in places connecting our cities. Back roads filled with potholes, some so big they were impassible.

Widespread drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭thereiver

It a song was on MTV alot it would be a hit .physical media ,not many people go to a show to buy CDs or DVDs ,most games are bought by digital downloads .there would be one PC in a room to access the internet now most people use wifi on laptops or phones people buying

Magazines with game demos on a CD or DVD-ROM to play on PC or console

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No central heating and having to leave the warmth of the fire downstairs to go to bed. Single glazed windows with frost in the inside in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Trampas

I remember game would need to be loaded from a cassette. Might be 15-25 minutes wait for some games and you hope it would work

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Piling 4 or 5 kids into the back of a car. Sure one of them could just stand in the middle. I remember going on one trip with a couple of us sitting in the boot to make room (it was an estate car).

Fog of smoke in the cinema as half of the customers had a cigarette.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I applied for a passport renewal online. It took 10 minutes. A few days later and I have the tracking for the delivery. And I'm in Germany. I'm honestly amazed that I managed to renew a passport when i am abroad and it was so easy. I even took my own photo, with my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Ted222

Waiting for hours at night in Dublin to get a taxi home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

A "loosey" - One cigarette and a match for 10p on the way to school - the ciggie lasted you all say!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Children with one lens of spectacles taped over to cure "lazy eye".

Both my daughters had these up until 5 years ago - still see a few kids with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

For Reg was long gone by then though. And I don't think the year made as much a difference in the mid/late 80s? That sort of silliness didn't kick off till the Celtic Tiger. Plus For Reg was there in the old system too I'm fairly sure, when the new year was irrelevant

Post edited by cdeb on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Photobox

Having to head to gig, disco or pub on your own as your friend didn't show up at arranged place and hoping you would bump into them there. H

Advertisement