Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** things about the 70s,80s,90s...that don't happen now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Telephone coinboxes out of order …coins stuck in slot … gobbling up your money and button B not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I remember the public bins would be stuffed with cans of soft drinks in summer which made them a haven for sugar crazed wasps. There would be about 10 wasps in each can of coke, fresca, tab, fanta and lilt (totally tropical taste) which meant the whole bin was a death trap. Danger here….if you distubed the bin, a swarm of angry wasps would attack you.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The brothers in the CBS had a thick leather strap in the shape of a penis. Very painful on the hands. Sick fcukers always preyed on the weak and vulnerable the most - the ones who's parents wouldn't dare complain for fear of the church.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭paul71

Death by Pothole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

remember how much better nostalgia was in the past?

yeah the driving part isnt true, the rest is to be honest but very few will actually drive while under influence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 PP Lee

My neighbour’s Austin Allegro with a clothes hanger wrapped in tinfoil as a makeshift radio receiver. The the sheer amount of smoking everywhere, no wonder I used to suffer terribly with travel sickness when I was a kid.

Oh, the white dogsh!t was mainly because of the amount of bonemeal that was used in cheap dog food back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

I'd forgotten about a clothes hanger ariel on a car. I also remember my Old Lad winning a car radio in a prize (cars were not usually fitted with radios in '70's. He stuck it in the glove compartment (I think) and wired it up. Wouldn't work as his car was so old it had a Positive Earth, radio was Negative Earth. Probably an Austin Cambridge from the mid 60's.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭ruth...less

I remember using a metal clothes hanger for the aerial on a tv 😂... I can't remember how it worked..sometimes you could only get a crap signal after spending ages trying to prop it up...if you were able to prop it up in that position and then it would fall down lol

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭tom23

A family bus ticket - you scratched it like a lottery card. Worked on all transport modes, well bus and dart.

Post edited by tom23 on

cleaning the heads on a vcr… literally everytime you did it was please work… please. video van in the estate. All the oul lads looking for scooby do’s

• Advertisement

somethings yes… other things I’d love 5 minutes to experience it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Cars with different colour doors or wing panels (not by design)

The car lock that went under the pedals and hooked the steering wheel. Then the chains that went around the steering wheel.

The removal of the car "stereo" everytime you left the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Ted222

Brings me back. And not in a good way.

I remember back in the 80s I was hours waiting for a taxi and got home at about 4 in the morning. Realised I’d forgotten my keys. No answer to the doorbell. Figured I’d have to phone home to generate a response.

Went to the nearest public phone 10 mins away and of course it didn’t work. Next nearest phone was about 2km away. It allowed me dial and my mother answered but the 10 pence wouldn’t drop and so she couldn’t hear me.

I had to sprint the 2km home before she fell back to sleep.

Great night out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The guy I remember driving his car around Bundoran in the late 70s with a Guinness label as a tax disc, I don't think he was ever pulled by the Guards.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

VCRs a fiddly pain alright but think of the alternative... you miss a TV episode and need to find someone who saw it to bring you up to speed!

One reason TV shows with continuing plots had detailed recaps at start of episode.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I bought a second hand telly when I started work (1990), which had a remote and Teletext. The funny thing was it had a mechanical on / off button which you had to turn on at the telly but you could power off with the remote, however been second hand it was lose and used to fire the switch cover across the room. Caused no end of amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭yagan

I remember food being really expensive, peppered steak was just bad meat disguised.

We used to regularly have offal, a cooked chicken was a treat.

My grandmother used to kill and pluck it herself if she wanted chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PP Lee

Discarded Quinnsworth and Crazy Prices shopping trolleys in my estate. We used to make go carts out of them. The older lads would ram them into the lamp posts to knock the lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Ted222

First video player we had was rented from RTV Rentals in Mary Street. The remote control was a bit of a misnomer. It had a lead which ran from the recorder to the armchair but at least you didn’t have to get off your ass

I remember how difficult it was to rent a new release. They were either already rented or the person who had the previous night hadn’t returned it yet. You’d end up renting some complete crap as an alternative. And it would cost you a fiver! About half the price of a month’s subscription to Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

My hole there's not! This is my car after driving on the M6 on Saturday. Windscreen looked like an insect horror movie. Had to get special stuff in the autofactors to get it off.

• Advertisement

go carts a thing of the past. A plank of wood wheels of an old pram, lots of nails and hammerings… **** me kids get nowadays get a berg. worked in super quinn as a kid and one my jobs was to retrieve trollies from estates / rivers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

You wanted Terminator 2 and got Uncle Buck instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Nearly sure we had one for the ariel on the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,126 ✭✭✭✭blade1

abc's on your legs from standing in front of the fire after having a bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Trampas

having a stash of recordable vhs ready to go to stick into the vhs to record. Then who recorded over this or watching over a recording and someone would change the channel

Giving a blank VHS to the neighbours to record Wrestlemania

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Having to get up off yer arse and change over the record to side 2

Oh wait records are back again 🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I bet the hanger lasted longer than the allegro 🤪

Advertisement