Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options
1234235236237238240»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Omallep2

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭RockOrBog

BBX 7 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭RockOrBog

Summer at last

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This guy lucky to be alive. Stay safe everyone.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

He actually walked way as if nothing major happened him. He was extremely lucky to get out of there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Safe to assume he was stunned at that point, probably was in worse shape in a few minutes after. If she had pushed him into the middle of the pen as opposed to up against the dividing gate it could have been a different story.

When a beast starts bellowing like that it can drive other cattle in the vicinity mad too. He was lucky the cow in the next pen didn't take into him as she seemed to be getting agitated too. It happened a friend of mine a few years ago, luckily the cow didn't knock him but when he crossed the gate into the adjoining pen the cow in it went berserk. He said he stuck on the top of the gate getting it from both sides for a few seconds before he got to make a run for it. In my experience when a beast knocks you it triggers something in them to stay at you, when you're standing there usually not as brave but when they have you on the ground they go berserk and know they have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A few years ago, I had a heifer come at me like bellowing with the head down. I was just after putting her in the calving pen and was shaking straw about. I let a roar at her and it stopped her in her tracks. You can never be too careful.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@patsy_mccabe I seen that once or twice if you stand up to the animal it will stall them for a few seconds giving you time to get away. But you need to be alert to see them getting aggressive.

The danger is that the one you know can be protective you give greater respect to than the one you are used of as a pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭893bet

When I see these videos I always question the risks I take with my LMs sucklers. Culled 2 slightly protective cows in the last 2 years and 2 more going this year. Missing tests due to mastitis ultimately drove this years 2. But glad to have them gone. But the rest are so **** quiet. Shake of nuts and you be drawing them loose in the shed and latching the calf on; tube them for mastitis loose in the shed etc often.

Calfing gate needed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭High bike

An old saying a cross bull never killed anyone,simply because u won't take a chance with him it's the quiet one that will catch u and the very same with cows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The majority of cows here are quiet at calving but as said you really have to keep your wits about you if you need to get a calf sucking. One thing that I've noticed is that cows can get upset after you dip the calves navel with iodine. A couple of weeks ago the knackery lorry was her to put down and collect a calf. Two cows that would be very placid became anxious and were shaking the head at me. The smell of the lorry upset them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

calf before it sucks doesn't show a reaction to iodine, it definitely gets a sting applying after feeding.

I see that on the outfarm, the cows get alarmed hearing the cattletruck before seeing it driving in the passageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

A bull attacked my neighbour in the middle of the field once, he knew he wouldn't make it to the fence before the bull so he ran at the bull roaring and waving his arms. Bull turned and ran off. Yer man said he literally s hit his pants after it. Lucky lucky man to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The worst picture in the history of pictures.

Galbally Sebastien 1767.

A real quiet gentleman. He's not lame either re the worst picture the way he was got mid gait.

Advertisement