Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I found the same with my old washing machine. Could you set up an automation to turn off the Eddi while you're printing?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Another option is raise the export margin

There is also the export threshold before the eddi will start, eg 200w but once that is hit, for the set time it will go to the export margin value

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's nuts for a 3D printer alright. I'd expect that the DC power supply would smooth that out better. Adding capacitance at the DC side might help, but that's an unusual thing to have to do. I just realised that the variation is between 100w and 500w so it's probably the heater element switching on and off rapidly, DC capacitance isn't going to help there too much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I already have an automation to turn off the eddi when I charge the car at certain times (CT installed in the wrong place), so adding the printer wouldn't be too hard.

I might see can I set the export margins from home assistant, because then I could go back to the usual when the printer is not printing (laser cutting doesn't draw anywhere near the power of the extruder).

Yeah, the heating elements cycle a lot. And when it's stuck due to some error, the bed stays heating so that leaves it doing smaller wild swings, so I hope I can add a statistic trigger to figure out when it's failed vs. finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

I think the Garo unit was called out as being very dodgy in previous posts, and that you need a Hagar or something other than a Garo. I think the Garo is too sensitive, but others here will confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I have the same issue since install just over 2 years ago. It's very intermittent but typically happens on a fine day with a sudden shower of rain. My breaker is an Eaton 32a/30ma

From reading other threads I believe it is related to this and the 30ma limit is causing the issue.

Had a strange issue over the weekend the backup supply from the Solis inverter seemed to surge and fried the Sonoff S26 plug I use it for automating the fan I have installed above the heatsink on the inverter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GNRPMFZ/ref%3Dppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just looking back in HA the fan does a good job of reducing the temperature. I really noticed the spike during heavy load over the weekend while it was not working.

Surge or did it just burn out? Any photos of the damage to the Sonoff? Was the Sonoff the only device attached? Where was the fan powered from?

It was a surge it burnt out the surge protected double socket that was attached along with the Sonoff S26 and also the power supply for a Google Wi-Fi access point. The fan was powered via the S26 socket.

It seemed to happen after the inverter RCBO tripped due to rain and I powered it back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Did you have a separate 16a rcbo on the backup cable before it goes to the socket?

• Advertisement

No it just goes straight to the dual socket extension lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I would add one for extra safety, I believe it is technically required and might have saved your gear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Folks, I'm being driven demented here. I changed broadband provider recently but can't get my Solis datalogger to connect to the new network. I have tried reconfiguring multiple times and going into the setup wizard in the app. I've also recently tried resetting the data logger itself but to no avail.

Any suggestions appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭THE ALM

The easiest solution is to give your new provider wifi the same name and password and anything that was connected before should connect again.

Yes, or create a second SSID with the same password off the main one on the required frequency (2.4G/5G).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Top tip: As 10-10-20 says above and actually name your Wifi with the 2.4Ghz in the name, so you have in effect two wifi's in your house to connect to. E.g.

MyHomeWifi_2.4Ghz

MyHomeWifi_5.0Ghz

That way there's no ambiguity when setting up your datalogger that your connected to the 2.4Ghz one. You can have the same password for both to make life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Has anyone had a problem with the inverter tripping the MCB to the battery, mostly at sunrise? I've a Solis 5kw (55-eh1 p5k.l) with a 15kWh Pylontech compatible battery (Battery —> 125A DC MCB —> Inverter). The battery was fitted a couple of weeks ago and everything was fine until a few recent sunny mornings when the MCB tripped - always at sunrise. It has also tripped once while the battery was discharging at 85A.

I contacted Solis support and they updated the inverter with the latest firmware but the same thing happened this morning. They have reduced the charge current to the battery from 90A to 85A but I can't see how this would really help. I have charging set from 0200 to 0500. Sunrise is currently about 0620 give or take.

Could this be related to capacitors in the inverter which charge up on sunrise switch-on, thus drawing a high current and fooling the BMS into thinking a short has occurred? No idea why it would trip when discharging though.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Unlikely to be the caps unless the load is being disconnected/isolated completely at night. Overnight the battery should remain powered-up and available to the inverter (ie 48v to 50v should show at the inverter at all times) and as a result the caps should be fully charged.

Do you ever see battery voltage errors at all?

Im thinking that potentially you could have a bad MCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

No, there are no battery voltage errors and the battery remains connected at all times. That's a good suggestion about the MCB potentially being faulty, I'll look into getting a replacement. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I've set up a second SSID on 2.4G band which now has the same name and password as my previous broadband router. I have tried reconfiguring again (multiple times) and back into resetting the data logger, rebooting the router - still not connecting.

I've honestly never come across anything as difficult to connect to a new wifi.

• Advertisement

Same SSID name and password including capitalisations of any characters? Is the inverter picking up an IP or do you know if it was DHCP or static? Can it be pinged?

If you have successfully reset the dongle, It shouldnt be connecting to anything, even the old one.

When you reset it can you see its hotspot?

If you can connect to it, navigate to http://10.10.100.254 and setup the wifi from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

I don't have a battery or a hybrid inverter but had a similar issue - I can't find my posts on this thread right now but have a look. Suggestions were that it might be shorting due to damp and not being grounded, as far as I recall. I still have to get on to the providers about it.

Damp probably wouldn't cause a gross current fault like an MCB trip alone, not without leaving traces of the event either through burns or locations where corrosion or discolouration then appears soon after. I'd expect a flood could do it, but not moisture through condensation anyway.

Anyone have a link for a certificate for a Solis S6-GR1P3.6K for the NC6 please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gerald H

Hi,

I’m in the north east. I have a 5.16kw system, (12 panels) facing South-South East. The system is split into two strings (String 1 has 4 panels & String 2 has 8 panels).

I’ve averaged 10KWh per day during May. I know May hasn’t been particularly sunny so that isn’t helping to see how productive the panels actually are at the moment.

I have a question about the voltage output from each string. Each string roughly averages about 110v-120v output per string, even on sunny days. I read that the string output is generally calculated by multiplying the panel output voltage x no. of panels. If this is the case, String 2 seems to be underperforming as I would have thought it should be putting out over 200v on average at least at peak times in good conditions. I've included an image. The 10th of May was sunny and at 12:15 there wasn't a cloud to be seen, and all 12 panels were getting the same amount of sun.

Am I correct in my limited understanding? Could I potentially have a problem with some panels on String 2, or could it be a technical issue to do with the invertor. I’d appreciate any thoughts.

Effectively, yes. You would sum the voltages for each panel, so if you had 8 in a string of 40 Vmpp each, it would equal 360v, for example. (I took the Vmpp there as the example as we're not talking about the max V load of the inverter.)

But are you sure it's split into 4 and 8 because the graph looks like it could just be a 6/6 split, except that the Vmpp would then be around 20v… which isn't all that sane as you have 430w panels…

111v / 4 = 27.75v.

Hmmm, seems like you're missing 4 panels, or thereabouts, on string 2.

Any optimisers fitted?

I would have to agree, string 2 should be double the voltage

Unless there is shading going on/optimisers. Unlikely a issue with the inverter..

What's the voltage on a cloudy day?

Don't confuse Volts and Watts. Volts will stay pretty constant, beit in shade or direct sunshine. The Amps (current) is what changes.

Volts X Amps = Watts (the output)

So everything points more towards two strings of 4 panels. Your graph appears to show output dropping off considerably after about 15:00 which would imply the SE panels.

Are you sure it's not 8 SE and 4 S ? Then for me, the 4 S are missing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Handy website to get a rough estimate of shadows that may cast on your solar panels:

https://shademap.app/%4053.28277%2C-9.06334%2C16.00206z%2C1717131279938t%2C0b%2C0p%2C0m

Advertisement