Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun bluing

Options
  • 13-04-2024 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

As above. Have a shotgun here i want the barrels done on. Anyone doing hot bluing anymore. Location not important as il travel.

IIs Durablu a good alternative

Post edited by otmmyboy2 on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Wrong section i think if a mod want to move thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Try Ardee Sports in Co Louth. they have two excellent gunsmiths, Fabian Connolly in Letrim would be another good bet,or if you want a more modern finish that looks like old-style gun blue. Small arms Service in Cork can Duracoat it to make it look like a hot blue finish.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tobac223

Hi Gorgeousgeorge , Steve Holt in Wildhunter did a few hot blue jobs for me and I found his work very satisfactory.

Thanks very much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Exp271

Give Philip in small arms services in Cork a ring. He knows who's doing bluing. Ask him about cerakote, it looks very like bluing and lasts forever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Mods Delete is not allowed.

I own run Small Arms Services.

We are using Cerakote instead bluing/blackening (hot or cold) for a multitude of reasons such as:

1. Good bluing chemicals are increasingly hard to obtain and dispose of (EU/EPA continue to ban ingredients and weaken the formula)
    2. Good bluing chemicals contain heavy metals and are known carcinogens.
    3. Hot bluing is caustic, it can easily damage the solder holding barrels together. The ribs will loosen and possibly fall off, this is obviously an extremely dangerous situation and expensive fix.

In comparison to bluing Cerakote is unaffected by harsh cleaning solvents, WD40, blood, sweat even acetone and break fluid (please do not clean your gun with the last 2)

Cerakote test everything; In an ASTM B117 Salt water spray test bluing lasted 24 hours before showing signs of corrosion. Cerakote H Series took 2034 hours before showing corrosion.
    Its my understanding that the newer E series is somewhere over 3000 hours before showing signs of corrosion.

https://www.cerakote.com/cerakote-vs-other-coatings/blueing

Of course bluing is limited in its colour range as well as the materials that it can be put on….. Cerakote has over 200 colours, coatings that can withstand up to 1000C, dry film lubricants, coatings that have low coefficient of friction, Infrared reflective coatings etc……. and can be put on pretty much anything bar rubber.

@Gorgeousgeouge yes Durablue is a great alternative. I used to use it for years however the cost of shipping a HazMat from DuraCoat went insane so we changed to Cerakote. We use Elite-100 Blackout or E-110 Midnight as a great substitute

GH

Advertisement