Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know where we're going, but we know where we are? (Part whatever)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I hate rain, sigh 😞

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Biblical here plus two major traffic dilemmas have the town snarled all the way up..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@autosport what car did you get ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Work night for me, tired as fe5k, time for an IV of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭thomil

Isn’t there a ground power unit at the airport they can hook you up to? 😇

Just got home. Knee is messed up again, but despite the pain, grey weather, muggy air and encroaching darkness, I feel good for some reason. Long may it last!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

That the knee you had so much bother with?. Feck it, feet up

Nope, that was the starboard one. This is the other one, because of course it is…

Ahh ouch, I compensate frequently and it's a bollocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

With all those knee references, I am reminded of this joke:

How many ears does Spock have?

Three: the left ear, the right ear, and the final frontier

Bed, one more night. Proper exhausted

Deskside in the home office, tired but with a Friday feeling. 😃😃

• Registered Users Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Finally Friday Feelings!

Got my new glasses 🤩🤩

Thicker than expected, but with a much bigger field of view. It'll take some time to adjust, but it's still a great feeling. My old ones were over a decade old…

my account is requested to delete.
    just wanted to say thanks for all the good times, it’s been a blast. But this is the end for me. Cya all.

Will miss you but don’t belong here this site isn’t for me tbh. I can see now I’m not welcome here.

Oh no, that's not the news I wanted to hear. I personally loved reading your posts here and I'll go out on a limb to say that there'll always be a place for you in this thread.

Take care and hope to see ya 'round on the web!

Sorry you've come to that decision, all I can say is don't let the opinions of some ruin being here for you. We all have detractors and ones who don't like, or just try to run us off whatever forums.

Im sad to hear it, maybe come back in another guise and pop into us here sometime eh?.

• Advertisement

Yaaay enjoy the new glasses 🕶️ 🕶️ It's brilliant when you can see properly again isn't it?! Varifocals wearer here 🙈😊

Hmm, try just sticking to a couple of threads and ignore the rest. Online stuff can waste so much time and energy and wreck one's mental health.

I need to switch to varifocals. How do you find them for e.g. close up, arm length desktop computer, distance .... ?

Tbh I'd be lost without them. It takes a few days to get used to them, especially on stairs/steps, but you soon get used to either looking up or down through the lens . I have no issues with them at all for all of what you mentioned. Imo they definitely are a game changer, not having to switch from one pair of glasses to another for a different function, reading etc .

Oh , I only found out recently you can also get varifocal contact lenses, who knew!

Well, my brain and optical nerve are still trying to reconfigure themselves to adjust to the new yoke. And unfortunately, the glasses are quite a bit thicker than my previous set. But at -12 on one eye and -13.5 on the other, I guess that's unavoidable unless you're willing to pay an arm and a leg…

You need 3 eyes for varifocal contact lense. Different contact strength in each. When you want to read something you close the other two eyes. 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Do it. I put off varifocals for years, not wanting to face up to the realities of aging. I've been wearing glasses for myopia since I was 9, but never had problems reading up close, but over the past few years found myself holding my phone further away when wearing glasses, and then when I ran out of arm-length, taking off my glasses and squinting to read it. It started to get me down.

Finally got varifocals last year - absolute game changer. No-one can tell from looking at you that they're varifocals, unlike the bifocals of old. You do need to make a slight adjustment to how you look at things (close up though the bottoms of the lenses, far off though the top), but it becomes second nature very quickly and isn't obvious to others. I got two different pairs: The ones I wear most of the time are close-up/middle distance/far distance. Then I have a second pair that are just close-up and middle distance. These are more suited to working all day at a computer (just because the middle distance area is larger) where you don't need to see into the distance. Most of the time when working, I just wear the regular pair, but if my eyes get tired or I need to read a lot of text (or someone is sharing a screen on Teams, and the text is small), I switch to the second pair.

Once I rushed off from my desk and into my car with the ones that don't have the distance prescription - I was still able to drive fine, just that it wasn't as clear as I was used to. So I'm a bit more careful now about what pair I'm wearing (I made the mistake of getting the exact same frames for both pairs, so I had to mark the "desk" one with a little bit of closured tape)

High prescription. Mine is quite high too. It's a complete pain. And now I've got old sight too. I'm waiting for Elon Musk to provide glasses that connect directly to the brain. They can do microscopic and telescopic like an iPhone camera. Bit like the 6 million dollar man. But a bit more these days due to inflation. Maybe. 🤣

Thanks for that. I'm definitely going there. I'm currently juggling glasses. I've a high prescription so lenses are expensive for thin lenses, so I need to make sure the optician gets it right.

• Advertisement

I'm not connecting anything to my brain that's been designed or manufactured by the Muskrat! 😱 There is work ongoing on adaptively reconfigurable lenses using transparent plastics that can change their shape when a current is applied to it. It's still at an early stage, but from what I've read, proof of concept devices have shown that the idea can work.

Personally, I'd love integrated screens for some sort of personalized head-up display or AR. I AM a nerd after all! 😜

Advertisement