Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭tom23

couldn’t bring myself to watch it, if they had henderson i’m glad i didn’t. the man that thinks refugees ipas should be prioritised over irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

In the absence of enough public housing to go around, should the govt enrich the landlords and capitalists to house people and if not, what should they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I would more landlords renting until some gets housing rather than vulture fund landlords paid by the state to house people. Yes.

The government should build more houses to house people and cut the price of getting on the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

What would you cut from the budget to increase housing spend?

How much would you allocate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭rgossip30

This decline was happening before migrants small business unable to compete with big business . I still don't go with the idea that IPA applicants will bring a thriving diverse utopia .The government is still paying for their accommodation,why not rent or allow to buy to those who came to work . The Ukraine war should never have been encouraged.

Meanwhile the back track continues on the farce.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/government-accused-taking-pi-1m-32553241?utm_source=irish_mirror_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Irish+Mirror+-+Daily+Newsletter_newsletter&utm_content=&utm_term=&ruid=5ab5b9b5-1ba0-420b-a1dc-eaf2d850e2fa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Packrat

This link you've provided outlines the straight out criminality and misappropriation of funds on others behalf which at least one government minister has committed against the people of this country.

Is there no way that this can be punished? No law which can be invoked to jail this thief who has stolen billions from the tax paying working people of this country and scattered it to the four winds of the earth?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

The trouble with programmes where the function is to give a fair and balanced view, there's no time to challenge comments such as that.

Views differ as to the amount of empty properties, from 80,000 up to almost 200,000. To assert that so many are publicly owned, I'd struggle to accept that.

Facts fall by the wayside when emotions take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, nobody is really saying that IPA applicants are going to bring about a diverse utopia are they? If anyone did actually believe that, particularly anyone in positions of policymaking power, then IPA migration would be the favoured means of "bringing" foreigners into the country right? But it's not, and never has been in Ireland. The Ukraine crisis presented an unprecedented event whereby a war in Eastern Europe inevitably led to a surge in refugees across the rest of the continent.

As for "encouraging" the war in Ukraine, one for another thread but I have listened to many arguments on this and have yet to hear one that would compel me to believe that Russia's invasion of Ukraine was anything other than the outcome of Putin's imperialist ideology married with a strategic economic interest in consolidating territorial continuity with the annexed Crimea.

We bear the consequences of that war and the brainwashed ideology that bringing in refugees is the right thing to do . I wonder how many are actually from the war zones .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I see one of the tabloids today running with a front page of how much we're spending on housing Ukrainian pets - €1m per month apparently.

A relative of mine died last year from Motor Neurone disease. The Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association provides nurses to help family members care for their relatives. The nurses are amazing but there are not enough of them and they are spread way too thin. Most of the money used to provide services comes from fundraising efforts.

In 2022 the Government provided funding of €214,000 to the Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association.

What a country we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Did anyone hear our esteemed Minister for Justice being interviewed on Morning Ireland this morning. There will be no relief from this - we have just further formalised our obligations to take in more people. There is no immediate prospect of state accommodation centres - that's years away. We have made a few price enquiries re chartering planes to deport the small handful of those refused official entry but nothing more. We will not build detention camps and anyone arriving can just melt away into the general population for as long as they need to establish themselves. Basically she's doing nothing and we may all put up with it. You'd be better buying your adult children plane tickets and advise them to get out of this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I turned on the radio this morning to hear yet another softball interview with her on Newstalk. There's nothing that I can see in this for Ireland or her citizens. We can't manage those already here, or use the political and practical options we have (and have always had) to enforce our laws and border, and yet we are supposed to take arguably the worse Minister for Justice in decades that bending the knee once again to the EU will make it all better?

Colour me cynical!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

" The Ukrainian war should never have been encouraged "

How can you make that statement about the war ..here ?

Anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭US3

Show us 1 leader that called for peace there. Every single one has encouraged to prolong the war

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I am not going to engage with this on this thread .

As facehugger said Motor Neurone Disease Association vastly underfunded .

As are Cancer Care services , Irish Hospice Association Parkinson's and many other health care agencies, and this is going on for years when we are meant to be ' awash with funds ' ..

These are part of all the NGOs that some people here want to get rid of .

It's not till you need their help that you realise how necessary they are .

Even more important then that we impose limits or stronger oversight on NGOs whose only reason for being is to undermine our immigration policies and controls. Just look at all the money spent on this issue over even the last 2 years.

Think about what could be done if that money was spent on the far more worthwhile issues you mention - rather than just encouraging/importing/legally advising even more randomers to put those services and all the others under pressure!

I agree more should be spent on NGOS who engage and help people in this country .

I have said this repeatedly on this thread so I am not going to print off that list for people again

.We are all adults here or should know who works for who in our society , so those who continue to bash NGOs generally , without stating of whom they are talking are just on a silly windup, afaiac

Our country would not function without many and it's the same in many western countries so saying it's just 'Ireland ' or our government is just more silly stuff .

If you want to discuss particular named NGOs , how much they get, and what they spend it on or not , be my guest .

But please spare me the bleeding heart stuff about services in this country without acknowledging the good that so many NGOs do .

• Advertisement

To be fair GG, it's very obvious what NGOs people refer to when using the term in an immigration thread - just as it's equally clear that when people talk about the problems with immigration, they aren't referring to legal migrants who come here honestly and with skills to offer, jobs to start, and the ability to support themselves while also positively integrating into their new communities.

This is not in question. I'm not sure why you think otherwise?

However.. I WILL say that we have seen numerous examples of charity/NGO organisations that have been operated with, let's say, poor Governance and decision-making, or where legitimate questions are asked about whether most of the money makes it to those who it was donated in support of, or into the paycheques/expense accounts of staff.

Again this isn't in question either. The only ones who seem to be muddying the waters are those who are trying to obfuscate the very different cases involved.

Where did I mention other or legal migrants in my post ?

I mentioned health and disability ?

Sounds like you are mixing me up with someone else or muddying the waters yourself there !

Also if you are alluding to poor governance you cannot throw out general accusations ..name and shame ..and some proof to back up your comments please !

Otherwise this is just a twisty ,NGO bashing exercise

And " to be fair " @_Kaiser_ ,

It's not clear who some are talking about , just as your post above ?

And then it leaves a general impression of ALL NGOs being corrupt or bloated which is vastly the opposite of true.

Most do excellent work on a shoestring .And could do more if they had more .

Ah now GG, come on… you know exactly what I mean/you're at.

You post complaining about people dismissing the work of good, worthwhile NGOs alongside NGO's involved in immigration (which no-one has done except yourself as far as I've seen?), and then you try to back away from it when I point out the differences?

Then you're trying to claim ignorance of well-publicised scandals and reports of financial irregularities in the charity/NGO sector? Which again isn't saying ALL charities or NGOs fit this description, but there's no point in pretending it didn't/doesn't happen either.

Really?

That's not true .

Whenever people post about NGOs here its stated ALL , or never the actual NGO in particular they have a problem with .

All I ask is that people be specific , name the NGO , post the problems and evidence instead of random opinion or conjecture .

This is some people's livelihoods and life's work they are libelling, so its incumbent on posters to be very specific.

"Then you're trying to claim ignorance of well-publicised scandals and reports"

Now that is a Big Fat Lie ...where have I said that ?!

Of course scandals do and have happened, same as anywhere else . Some years ago and complete changes in mission and ethos as well as those at the top of those charities have been instigated sometimes by the charities themselves or by government.

You are talking about a handful but of course by not being specific you tar every NGO !

But show me where those issues have not been dealt with and good governance proven before funding is reinstated ?

That's where I am at, Kaiser. I am tired of posters that soapbox but can't back up a single thing they say or aren't bothered to when they are posting half truths with impunity anonymously online .

You are having a laugh here. This thread is littered with NGO conspiracy posts.

Use the search function yourself, you would have to be joking to pretend there aren't plenty of posters who post conspiracy accusations at all NGOs in this very thread.

Thing is, it is a conspiracy theory that is being disseminated by certain groups who would benefit from your ordinary person with an issue ,( health disability , gender or racial inequalities, in this case its asylum seekers and especially Ukrainians at the moment ) not having access to support, advice and advocacy .

IIt's not just here on this thread its worldwide.

Some NGOs are being defunded in countries that gave right wing governments.

We all know who would benefit from Ukrainians not being able to seek refuge safely in other countries and get help...also legitimate aid workers and NGIs delivering humanitarian aid being targeted .

People then read this stuff about the "big bad evil " NGOs and the schtick that is printed in rags that support this action and don't differentiate between the different organisations . It is then dragged here from conspiracy fora and sites like X and Telegram and printed as FACT .

That is why I ask for the names and objective evidence of what is being posted.

Still waiting ....

We do have disproportionate number of NGO's who lobby government . The full social welfare for Ukrainians and payment for pets has NGO all over it .

I don't know but whoever sighed off on that needs their heads examined , awful stuff .

Some are disproportionately funded more than others and it is really surprising the ones that don't get much but still do amazing work .

We all know who are getting all the funding with this government and it is not a good thing .

SSshhhh..

• Advertisement

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah **** the IMND and their lobbying of government. Am I right rgossip?

Advertisement