Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭b.gud

Neither SOB or Boyle were mentioned so I assume they are available but it hasn't been confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

with Bolton unavailable wouldn't mind seeing Jennings and Porch on the wings. Porch must be bursting for an opportunity at the moment

Post edited by ElisaAtWar on

Divine signs his first pro contract,no specified length

Benetton hooker Nicotera has received a 3 week ban and will miss this week's game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Great news on Devine, fully expect him to be the long term first choice 9. Hopefully he sees plenty of game time for the rest on this season. Would look to start him against zebre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Good news. Academy players are in a bit of a tough spot, if they're not getting senior minutes and there's no A games, how are they going to earn pro contracts? It's worked out for Devine, he's clearly a top tier prospect and homegrown too. The likes of O'Connor, Ward, Hawkshaw, Mallon etc. are really up against it though imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Pro Deal for Gavin too. Interesting piece at the end about integration of the academy players. Perform well in training and that will help earn your pro deal.

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/news/hugh-gavin-to-join-pro-ranks-next-season/bp2973/

Good spin on "we're now integrating our academy players in training in the same way Leinster have for years, except ours don't get any first team minutes and play in much lower levels of the AIL".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

They'll get games because we'll let the likes of Farrell and Daly go - and honestly that's how it should be. You have to give talents like Devine/Gavin a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Well surely they should get the chance before we let, for example, Farrell go?

I don't know why we do this. When Sean O'Brien left for Exeter, after a string of good performances at outside centre, one of the explanations offered was 'by the time we'd seen what he could do, he'd already been released.' O'Brien didn't get his first senior cap until December of that season.

I'm enthusiastic about both Devine and Gavin, but the latter still hasn't been capped and Devine has had five minutes on the wing. Is it really impossible for our stronger selections against weaker teams to be leavened with an Academy player so that they can get the experience and we can get a look at them? It suggests a lack of confidence in them, to be honest.

Now that I've got that out of my system, congratulations to the two lads, I'm delighted they're on board.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I suppose that's a luxury of being a dominant side in the league. Leinster tend to have a bit of a points buffer so they can afford to give guys more exposure. Both within a given match and in terms of league league points. For Connacht points are a bit harder won so it's a more dangerous game. The risk of a guy not working out or having a nervy first game could make the difference between making the last 8 or not for Connacht.

Then of course it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy where not exposing guys means you lose some or are forced to use more of them during an injury crisis or something.

• Advertisement

Anyone got opinions on the 90 seconds provided to take a conversion. I personally find it incredibly frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Why ask in connacht thread and frustrating why? What should it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Big chance of getting to a semi final this weekend. Squad I’d go with:

Buckley Heff Bealham

N Murray Joyce

Prendergast Boyle SHL

Blade Carty

Bundee Forde

Smith Toh Jennings

McElroy Dooley Illo D Murray Oliver Devine JJ Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

It'll be interesting to see if they stick with Jack at 10 or go for JJ to start. Not sure I'd go for Bundee and Forde in the centre either - I'd start Farrell at 13, regardless of his future. Tiernan's form has taken a nose dive, so I wouldn't mind seeing a change there, although I'm not sure who to select in his place.

Really hope they can get the win - can't make it to Italy this weekend, but I'd be all over a semi final trip to Gloucester/Wales (I hear Newport is lovely in May :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Connacht team to play Treviso:

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (234)
    14. Andrew Smith (11)
    13. David Hawkshaw (27)
    12. Bundee Aki (133)
    11. Shane Jennings (9)
    10. JJ Hanrahan (16)
    9. Caolin Blade (186) (C)
    1. Denis Buckley (245)
    2. Dave Heffernan (194)
    3. Finlay Bealham (198)
    4. Joe Joyce (15)
    5. Darragh Murray (22)
    6. Cian Prendergast (64)
    7. Shamus Hurley-Langton (35)
    8. Paul Boyle (89) 

16. Eoin de Buitléar (6)
    17. Peter Dooley (31)
    18. Sam Illo (19)
    19. Niall Murray (71)
    20. Conor Oliver (79)
    21. Matthew Devine (1)
    22. Cathal Forde (25)
    23. Tom Farrell (108)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭testtech05

Surprised to see both Tom and Cathal amongst the subs. Maybe Cathal is covering 10 and Tom the wing? I thought Jack was quite good last week so surprised to see him drop out completely but barring injury it's the same selection policy as the rest of the season I guess

Carty is unavailable due to a hamstring strain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭testtech05

Ah OK sorry hadnt seen that. Makes a bit more sense then. Maybe 20 mins for Cathal at 10 wouldnt be the worst thing to see how he would go there but getting a win is most important.

Strange that Eoin de Buitléar is on the bench again. They didn't use him last week and DTM/McElroy are supposed to be available. And why are they not starting Farrell?

• Advertisement

DTM is just back from a neck injury so Zebre might be a better opportunity to reintroduce him. McElroy is an odd one, seemed to be very much in favour for most of the season but has been dropped the past 3 weeks in favour of de Buitléar, who clearly isn't trusted.

Been wondering is the reason for this that McElroy isn't going to be around next season so they are trying to give minutes to De Buitléar. That's the only thing I can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

With the mental amount of rotation Wilkins does I could see them easily having 4 hookers next season. McElroy has featured too much to get let go I'd say. We're looking like having 4 scrumhalves if this Ben Murphy rumour is true too.

Could be the case but there's no point discarding McElroy to prioritise de Buitléars development and then leaving him on the bench. I'd be surprised if we didn't offer McElroy an extension, time will tell.

4 hookers are probably necessary, with 3 we'd only be two injuries from having to play Matthew Victory, who was a late convert from the back row. Most URC games now border on must win, having to rely on an inexperienced player in such a crucial position could derail our season.

4 scrumhalves is too many though IMO, 3 plus academy should be plenty.

Oh yeah I completely agree with this. I was just more posing a hypothetical for why McElroy wasn't on the bench when de Buitléar didn't seem to be trusted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Can't understand not starting Farrell either, for me he'd have to start in a game like this. Has it been decided that Hawkshaw has gotten accustomed to and good enough in the role to be the first choice?

I'd be also interested in whether Cathal is covering 10, or whether they'd switch Hawkshaw to 10 and Cathal would then cover 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Hawkshaw has been quietly good at 13. His ability to slip the first contact and pass in traffic has seen a number of breaks he has contributed to. But personally would go with Farrell, he is elite when on form and the bundee/tom centre axis has been huge in a number of games for us

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Purist98

Any knowledge as to how Victory is getting on down west?

Not sure I agree. The last Benetton score to win the game a couple of weeks back said it all to me. TOH was caught on the back foot but made a challenge to push the Benneton player to the line and Hawkshaw missed that challenge. And that is Hawkshaw.

Post edited by ElisaAtWar on

• Advertisement

On another matter, from a list of scrum halves, McDonald (likely gone back to Ulster at the end of this season), Murphy (who certainly didn't impress with Leinster last week), Reilly (injuries aside has looked very ordinary), Blade (who continues to frustrate with slow play), and finally Devine (who looks like he has huge potential but is untested at this level). So you are left hoping that Devine steps up. Of course to step up he needs to be given game time.

And at out half we have Carty (decent player, hard worker, some smart stuff, some terrible stuff, poor kicker from the tee), JJ (excellent kicker from the tee and nothing else), Hawkshaw (ordinary in all aspects), Forde (untested but proven he is a good kicker from the tee).

And that's where we are with the two most pivotal positions.

So it's all very fine and good to simply whine about things, but the important thing is identify what to do about this. And here you have to merciless. It all comes down to money and money is provided for IRFU and having season ticket holders.

So we have a new larger stadium in the offing and we have funds to meet that. But we also need performances to maintain the season ticket holders.

So let's talk really mercilessly. Cordero is costing us crazy money for no return (we have Jennings, Hansen, TOH who can cover that position). We have no shortage of wingers so we can let Porch go. We have so many centres it's crazy. We can release Daly and Hawkshaw. At scrum half Ben Murphy should never had been signed and Reilly should be let go. Jack needs to let go at out half and then finally we might be able to afford a player than can orchestrate our team.

I know that's a brutal assessment but that's why I tend to be unpopular

Advertisement