Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Someone with no documentation or fake documentation won't be granted refugee status either, not unless they can prove their identity and country of origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

That is completely false information and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

https://www.newstalk.com/news/private-accommodation-for-refugees-certainly-running-out-head-of-irish-refugee-council-1419664

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭REDBULL68

Thought is was a good programme, gave both sides equal opinions, but the plus imigration people really came across as living on another planet ,the Councillor is right, government in big trouble next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

They are not. Who will people vote for instead?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Australia will be right behind them. This is all legal migration I might add.

Australia saw 126k new arrivals in January 2024. The same month, 12k new housing units were approved.

Those sums don't add up and the housing situation is going to get quite fiery when elections come calling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Independents. Lots of them.

I've been saying this on here for over a year and regularly get derision for it. People won't vote for far right parties, there are no credible parties talking common sense on a lot of these issues so the other option is independents or sitting at home on the couch on election day.

Polls for the last few months have shown a trickling up of support for Inds from SF as more and more people realise how full of hot air SF are on a lot of these issues.

Support for SF was noticeably high on these issues last year and has dwindled as people have copped on that there is very little shared between the policy outlooks of SF parliamentarians and their supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Will0483

Biden has chosen to open the borders as he thinks it appeals to his base. If Trump wins, we will see how you can have an effective border protection regime.

Also, by the time people decide to try and cross the border it's almost too late. Better to have an active deportation policy to eliminate the pull factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A wall along the 6 County border. Great idea 👍🏽

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭prunudo

i can't remember exactly the words the Irish Times reporter used in his closing piece, along the lines that Ireland isn't full, but it didn't look like he believed what he was saying. Every other piece he was looking ahead or alert, the last piece, he was looking away and twitchy and was almost like he was reaffirming the Irish Times editorial position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

These dangerous people who keep saying Ireland is a rich country are causing untold damage.

No wonder they keep arriving when they hear we are a rich country.

Then I hear a man crying on Newstalk yesterday as his son is dying from scoliosis, his back is curved 140 degrees while no other country in Europe let’s a child’s back go past 50 degrees before they get a chance to operate and save the child’s life.

We’re a rich county though right?

We’re on a house of cards - artificially created GDP which can go at any time.

Sure there’s money for everyone but our own. Harris meeting the EU today and “Palestine is top of the agenda” - really?? No other pressing matters eh Taoiseach??

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Go to any PBP meeting. They'll be clones of her there. A real life version of the pro immigration bunch on here.

Apologies. Bunch might not be the right word. 3-4 more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Independents, Aontu will take that government dissent cohort. We just don't know how many will do so.

PBP are a small minority party though and unlikely to be ever in power. The idea that NGOs are telling the government what to do doesn't hold up for a moment. They (presumably) would be opposed to Ireland opting into the EU Migration Pact, something the current government is actually doing as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

First thing any ngo does is secure funding to pay its staff and board, anything delivered above that is a bonus from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Heard McEntee on both Newstalk and RTE this morning, in plugging this new immigration pact she kept making the point that one of its advantages is that those in genuine need of our help will get a quick decision. Given that there are probably billions in the world in need of our help its almost like an open invitation to come to Ireland , make your case and you get to stay. Once again she was unconvincing in explaining about how we would deport failed asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I didn't hear the interview but I'm sure she was no more unconvincing that many of the anti-immigration posters here.

Deporting people is extremely difficult. Shouting 'send them back' doesn't work either.

More lies from the anti-immigration brigade ;)

I've offered several proposals on how we might improve the situation.

a) We should campaign and make it known amongst would be asylum-seekers that Ireland is not as wealthy as it appears. We have a terrible housing crisis and our health services are no where near what would be expected of a modern European country.

b) We should limit where possible, work and education visas to lesson pressure on housing and services.

c) We should move away rapidly from private hotels for housing IPA's.

d) We should use our position within the EU, OECD etc to campaign for equality measures in the global south, particularly targeting tax-havens and corruption fed by western investment.

You can pour cold water over those all you like but you cannot say I haven't offered proposals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

Absolutely. The situation we've been led into by the ineptness of this government, is a national disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Covid showed us nothing is hard for a government.

If there's a will and a crisis they can do whatever is deemed nessecary.

Stop making out like there's no choice here.

There always a choice and currently the government and a loud minority are choosing to inflate this $hitshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's always so amusing to see posters here claim the Irish emigrated but looked for nothing. We know that isn't true.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ah yes, because 40 years ago a few thousand Irish temporarily got less than 30 quid a week dole from a country we'd not long stopped being run by - we are somehow obligated to take a hundred times as many with no connection here and give them thousands a month; plus free accommodation, medical cards than many of our own don't get plus the inevitable "family reunification" when the numbers double at the very least.

What a very silly point. Your sad attempt to guilt trip is not going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Jesus Christ, is there anything that anyone can ever say in favour of providing help to people genuinely in need that you wouldn't take as an open invitation for the entire world to come to Ireland? What do you want her to say? Refugees will be brutalised on arrival? How far does the government have to go in order to put sufficient levels of the fear of God into anyone who would ever dare come here for asylum?

There is literally nobody anywhere in the world who can give you a convincing, well-balanced, sustainable, foolproof plan on how you deal with deporting people. Anyone who claims to have it is a spoofer. Deportations need to happen but they aren't easy as they require the good co-operation of origin countries as well as our European neighbours in circumstances where we may need to deport people via the European country they travelled through to get here.

There is no easy answer to this issue — anyone who has a "convincing" answer on it is either full of sh*te or genuinely a genius who has figured out how we can make all circumstances work perpetually in our favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

FG'ers have already began to jump ship. They are getting it in the ear on doorsteps as the problem is now beginning to effect their middle class voting base who themselves didn't care as long as the issue only effected working class communities. Cute hoorers like Coveney and Pashal stepped aside and let Harris be the face of the coming collapse.

You seem to be remembering a different covid than I do.

I recall we struggled broadly with the same type of restrictions; lockdowns, quarantines, work from home, etc that the rest of the world did until a global solution was found.

But you're right to a degree. The government could deploy huge resources to control immigration. We could have indefinite detention, mass deployment of ags and border officials along the northern border, strict pre-clearance for flights etc. I think we could have a significant reduction in people arriving. The problem is the cost and consequence would be massive. Aside from the huge financial cost, it would be a disaster for north/south relations, likely a massive opportunity for dissident republicans with cross-border smuggling etc. We'd have undocumented immigration to deal with, likely leading to crime and exploitation as it has in other countries. I also very much believe the rest of the EU would use it as justification to crack down on our tax practices (which I personally think might be doing us more harm than good at this stage.)

You're talking about the Ukrainian refugees that have come here I assume and not asylum seekers?

I had a 15 minute break and a KitKat - I gave it a shot!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yes but like a lot of other posters on here, you are merely stating an aspired outcome and brushing over the practical realities by just saying "implement that".

So, detain people. Great. Where do we detain them? Build centres like the ones in the UK where most detainees end up simply being given leave to remain anyway?

Deport them? Sure. But with whose co-operation and how do we perpetually secure the co-operation we need?

Part of the problem is that people look at this issue the wrong way round. Once people arrive in Ireland, the reality is that there isn't really any easy answer on how you deal with it. Focusing on that component only leads to loose-fitting solutions. The closest thing we will get to a solution is by cutting the problem at is source — which requires a lot of things to happen that actually are achievable — better co-operation with other European countries, securing the external borders of the EU and constructively working with source countries like those in North Africa to provide incentive for preventing crossings and working with us on deportations.

That's where the focus should be, but people prefer to focus on the end point (ie, the point an asylum seeker arrives in Ireland) because that makes it easier to find someone close to home to blame for it all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement