Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Greengrass53

I was at the kildare game and I must say I was very impressed by ye. Thought your tackling in defence was fantastic. Kildare's subsequent showing was dreadful and ye tailed off a bit towards the end of the league. But I wasn't at all surprised at ye today. Ye were by far the better team and I wish ye well against Tyrone. I'd love to see ye back in the big time ye have such a great tradition in the game. Your manager is top class too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I was saying the pretty much the same to my family coming up to HT. When it was 07-04, it was vital we got the next point so we weren’t down double scores. That free Paddy kicked right before half time was huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭etuzyuk

What a brilliant result and performance. There were shades of 2020 in the build up but the match was nothing like. Full value for the win and a great shot in the arm. What was very very pleasing was how we used the bench and how they contributed to a famous win. We'll enjoy that for now and start to worry about Tyrone in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭mylestheslasher

You never know what you are going to get with Cavan. I thought for the first time really this year outside of Kildare game we were very mean in defense. When I watched the game back at one point in the 2nd half they put up stats showing we had more than twice the turnovers that Monaghan had. Our tactics were clever, concede the kick out so as not to prompt Beggan to drive it into our 45 in the 1st half. Paddy Lynch's frees were out of this world,8 from 8. A 45 into the wind in the 1st half which even Beggan could not repeat in the 2nd. One from out on the sideline into the wind just before half time. I thought Oisin Brady (bar a few mistakes) was lively and caused plenty of issues. You could see he wanted to drive at Monaghan. The first two goals were brilliantly worked and spectacular finishes, so good to see. That pass from Holla to Paddy for the last goal was something else and even the finish from Paddy, he made it look easier than it was. Fair play to the Banty for predicting the biggest winning margin in 50 years and fair play to our boys for proving the doubters (me included) wrong. Can we beat Tyrone, well we surely have to beat them some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭celt262

You would wonder was there lots of hard training done once we were safe and Sam Maguire football secured because that performance was levels above the last couple of league games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭etuzyuk

I don't know. I wouldn't over rate our performances against Louth or Meath when comparing to the last couple of games. Louth beat themselves and Meath left enough after them to win 2 games. One thing I'd be fairly certain of though is that we didn't go into the Armagh game indifferent about the result. We would have wanted a big performance but we were punished fairly ruthlessly, unlike previously, for our sloppy play and low energy. The Fermanagh performance I'd be prepared to write off quicker to focus having moved on from league priority.

In any case it's water under the bridge. I expected some turmoil start of year but survival was secured and Monaghan defeated. The latter I hoped for but wasn't expecting 😁. So this is a great position to build on hopefully. Tyrone are a step up and bogey team for us and although they collected 6 points in D1 it was all done in Omagh and against two of the weakest teams. We have them on the road and I would say not peak Tyrone. It's championship football. Squad should be fitter. Get our heads right, go in with the right attitude and it's all on the day. Even old slates can we wiped clean anytime.

Where has this myth about “hard training” come around recently? If a team had a bad performance, you suddenly see comments that they were training hard.

I remember back in 2020 hearing Donegal had been in “hard training” the week of the Ulster Final to get ready for Dublin and had taken their eye off Cavan.

I actually heard that the county team are only collectively training once a week at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭rrs

There wasn't much bite to Monaghan yesterday compared to previous teams. Dermot Malone ,Drew Wylie, Colin Walshe, Fintan Kelly all enjoyed getting into a battle.

I think we have a great chance in the Quarter Final !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭tazman06

I think so too. The last time we played Tyrone in Ulster Championship quarter final in Breffni was 1983 when we last beat them. All other times has been Clones, Brewster, Omagh or such. Be good to get them to Breffni and try and catch them out after they've been off for a month

(urgh, saw what you meant when I hit post 😁)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheGadfly

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hope Darren Hughes is okay soon. Not nice to see players getting bad injuries.

Gearoid Mckiernan put up a big score against Gowna at the weekend. There had been talking that he was returning to Swad . Conor Madden seems to be playing decent with Gowna.

First year those players wouldn't have been involved in a a County panel in a long time.

I don’t think Gearoid suits the modern intercounty game. He slows the ball down too much. Everything now is about a quick transition and counter attacking. Paddy is a lot better at him than frees also and said on GAA Social he can now take them from the left because Gearoid isn’t there.

Yeah not as a starter, but maybe a impact sub for last 10 minutes. He's 34 this year.

3 of the Monaghan players starting yesterday were older. Karl O Connell is 35, McManus 37 later in the year and Darren Hughes is 37

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

There's room for Gearoid. Experience, power, solid on the ball. Anyone who doesn't think he'd be an additional to the panel is mad in the head.

Watched the game back. Cian Reilly wasn't far off motm. He made a big impact, positioning was brilliant and he won so much dirty ball. Outstanding display and his best in a Cavan Jersey.

We had a few sub par performances. Cian Madden barring the pass for the Lynch goal chance contributed very little. Tiarnan who I would have considered one of our speedsters was outpaced for a chance when he came on. Hopefully they will improve for the next day.

The final play was brilliant - Holla got the free and was fist pumping to the crowd. A couple of other lads were jumping up and down in celebration. Cormac Reilly the furthest man forward and not long on the field started trudging forward. Paddy on the other hand was already making the speculative sprint to outstrip SIX Monaghan men closer to the goal than he was. Top class stuff. He'll need more help the next day.

Tiernan looks like he has bulked up from last year and it doesn't suit his game it seems to have slowed him down.

His transfer to Swad must have got lost on the system…..

Have to agree with you. Think Cian was very good and after Lynch and Faulkner he was one of our best players Sunday. Cormac O'Reilly also did well when he came on, and had some big moments. The 1-2 with Gerry for the 2nd goal, caught that high ball and got fouled for the last Lynch free. The Maddens were unfortunately not great alright. Cian had moments like you say, but couldn't believe Tiarnan was caught for that ball, he was just on and well in front with no one between him and the goal and still got caught by 2 backs. That was poor

In one way it is good that we have still significant improvements to make which means with even a few players moe stepping up next day, we can get way better

• Advertisement

Oisin Brady needs to improve too. There was balls bouncing off in the first half. The second he took a good score but took 2 rash shots when there was players in bette positions. T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

There's probably a few people on here that still wouldn't back us in that fixture 😀

Even thought it isn't going to happen, I would 100% agree. If Gearoid was okay with the odd 10 minute cameo on the square, that would be some weapon for us.

You're also 100% on Cian Reilly, that was easily his best performance at senior level. There were massive performances all over the team. O Rourke did really well, not just in two saves, but off the ball he's really smart in how he moves out to block off space even in open play. Gunner was brilliant- McCarron barley got a sniff and if you look at Gerry Smith's point and goal, they come from him carrying the ball out at pace. O'Connell scored as much from play as McManus. Carolan was the most effective half back on the field in terms of breaking lines and was a threat all through. Holla had a big second half, and how Gerry Smith is easily having his best season for us in years. Oisin Brady was hit and miss but improved and I love his willingness to run and also be brave and take chances and take his man on. Paddy Lynch was outstanding. And what to say about Faulkner? A colossus again.

I'd agree to an extent in terms of where he used to play. However you cannot convince me that Gearoid could not be a wrecking ball if deployed properly in a Full Forward line, even if only for 20 minutes as an impact sub.

That post hasn't aged well :O

That was one of the best defensive performances we've had in years and the full back line was outstanding. Match-ups were perfect.

I think Cormac O Reilly mixed the good with the bad. Watch it back, he allowed Monaghan men to walk past him when they got the 1-2 to take the lead and he also badly fumbled a ball into him. He nearly cost us the game. However he was then involved positively in the Gerry Smith goal and he won a free winning a dirty ball for Lynch's last free. I would say there was an improvement for Oisin Brady in his league campaign, maybe Cormac will get some confidence up from the few positives I've mentioned. For Tyrone, Paddy will need much more from the other forwards as I think if I am over Tyrone the simple message is "don't foul" and you will have Cavan in bother scoring wise.

Even though it is Tyrone and we've not beaten them since God was a gossoon, there is massive scope for another big performance. WAC felt Jason and Clarke weren't too far off. So potentially they could be back. We know there's tonnes of quality in both Maddens, so they can definitely play better. Neither James Smith or Conor Brady had their best games and we know there's more in both. I thought both Kiernans were solid and their work rate was amazing, but Oisin from Castlerahan isn't that long back after missing a lot of football (and just got married!!!).

McVeety isn't likely to be back for Tyrone but let's hope we have no further injuries. Two weeks for us to get ready to finally end this dismal run and give them a right rattle.

Oh, and can we let on that Breffni is banjaxed and ask to play in Brewster? 😀

I was to mention Oisin too. I actually think he did very well. Yes, made a few poor decisions, a few not great shot selections, but he was very lively and got on a lot of ball and was fit to break at pace. One or two more good decisions for another point, or the long goal chance when Beggan was caught out the field and we'd have been talking about him as one of the best performers on the day. We need lads with that energy, workrate, and pace and the day it clicks he will make hay. He can be that foil to Lynch which is badly needed to take defensive pressure and marking off him and I do feel with more time he's close to doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭mogue77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Thunderbirds

McVeety has gone under the knife and will be out till later stages of All Ireland Series.

Advertisement