Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

Yeah but a lot of people don't want touch screens in cars that are the only source of interaction with the car, there's many complaints online, they are distracting because people are so highly addicted to screens they simply can't stop playing with them, always having to play with this or that, tweak this or that. It's as bad as mobile phone use. One reason NCAP is going to drop stars from models from 2026 unless they bring back essential buttons.

https://insideevs.com/news/701296/vw-physical-controls-to-return/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

PCP is up in August.

I’ve been at himself to get car valeted for a while so we can take photos and advertise it with a few months of full warranty left on it but it hasn’t happened yet 😀. Very few 77 kw ID.3 coming up second hand so I think we’d be in a good position to sell. But we will see.

Otherwise I think we will have to hold on to it for another year or so until prices settle down.

We hate taking the diesel out so ideally something a bit bigger would suit. But don’t want to lose a lot of efficiency - it matters with the amount of miles we do. We have test driven the model y and ID.4. Both are fine. Would prefer some sort of estate but nothing appealing there either. It’s whatever makes most sense finance wise in the end I think.

super happy with ours and never had issues with it. We could do with something slightly bigger so we are looking to change but not out of any complaints with the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You can be sure that eventually the cupra will drop to similar levels so depends on how much you prefer it and what kind of timeframe you have to wait to buy.

Are the 31k id3 the new refreshed model? Great price now

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Liam2021

Hi

I have an ID3 1st. I have had no issues with the car unlike others. Only thing that happened was the charging flap got stuck which was changed under warrenty. All updates that could be done over the air all were successful. Car has 52000km done all charging done at home and have had no loss of range. Can't fault the car and would gladly buy another vw id.

We also have had 2 id4. Got a very good deal on my trade in so bought a second. Same as above no issues with either ID4 and would buy again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tech_Head

Yes they are. It has the updated interior and changes to the outside. It’s rumoured to have a bigger screen with illuminated sliders coming in 2024 but that wouldn’t be enough to keep me waiting.
    I’m in no major rush but I’m trading in an 8 year old car and the pricey is still pretty decent for it. Not that it should drop much over the next few months either.

Nice, thanks for that. I’d be a cautious buyer so really appreciate the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭eagerv

You will always have people complaining about something, particularly those who are scared of change. I remember well when aircraft changed over from steam gauges and loads of switches to glass cockpits with much simpler and fewer switches and computer controlled systems. The industry iirc (Especially the American one) said it would never work. However, reliability has increased and work loads significantly decreased. I don't think many in the business would like to go back..

(Sorry for slight thread drift😊)

Oh lord, I'm nearly afraid to answer this lol.

I have the tour 5 77 Kwh id3, a rare beast, I wouldn't buy another. Interior is not great for the money and infotainment is a royal pain in the ass. There are others who love them but I would highly suggest you get a test in one over a day or 2 and see if you could be bothered with such a setup. VW themselves admitted the touch screen was a disaster and are bringing back more buttons, there are lots of complaints.

I was also offered low 20,000 Euros for trade in 2.5 years old 76,000 Kms cost 41,000 new, so be warned.

Personally I wouldn't spend so much on a car again, any car not ev.

If you have ICE at home EV is a good 2nd car but if we didn't have the outlander I wouldn't have an EV as the only car and I'm driving EV since 2015.

Most financial sense is keep what you have and just take the diesel for the longer trips when you need the space etc, they are ideal 2nd cars and you have the best of both worlds, that's my mad opinion anyway lol.

I won't be spending so much again anyway, it's just not worth it and the dealers won't offer you much so selling private is probably the best option, here is a good place to advertise too because you're known. But if I were you I'd keep the cash and lock it away for xx years and get as much interest on it as you can rather than the bank making money on you and the Government and the car manufacturers on over inflated prices.

By the way did you seek any valuation on your car off any dealers ?

• Advertisement

Cheers. We do have an ICE car at home. This will be 90% for getting to work and visiting family that live locally. The other 10% is just be getting out for a spin. My 8yr old car, a Fiesta, has 45k km on it so not much mileage at all.
    I think the interior has improved (my current doesn’t have an touchscreen) and felt that the Pro had a decent amount of power at 204hp but th test drive really wasn’t long enough to open it up.
    I’ve read multiple reviews about the touchscreen so I played around with it in the showroom.
    Is it a modern day tablet, no, but it did what it needed to. I generally keep the air vents on cool anyway and will use CarPlay for the rest. Will probably curse it on some cold mornings where it’s fogged up but that’ll probably be it.
    At the current price it seems like a good option against the competition.
    Adding 10k or more does bring some other options, like the Tesla and Polestar but I think I’d prefer to spend less this time and see how the market goes.

not seriously. Went into Laharts to look at new ID.4. They didn’t offer much for the ID.3 but didn’t expect them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Luna84

Will probably curse it on some cold mornings where it’s fogged up but that’ll probably be it.

Took this quote from a post above. I do not own a ID.3 so I do not know but does the ID.3 not have an option to preheat the car on a cold morning?

Cool. I was thinking it should since it's an electric.

Touch screen was a solution to a problem that didn't exist for the driver but to the manufacturer they saw it as a chance to save money at the expense of road safety and it's just too much of a distraction in a car, people can't leave this tech without playing with it.

But there are lots of people who prefer no screens and traditional cockpit designs I bet a lot more than those who love all that messing about, nothing at all to do with fear of change but change for change sake isn't always a good thing especially when it makes the bank accounts of the car companies richer.

Being scared of change isn't really the issue, the increased amounts of road deaths both in Ireland and the USA which is significant has to be attributed to distraction from mobiles and car infotainment.

Just look at the amount of time Bjorn on youtube has his eyes off the road while he plays about with screens……

Just look at the amount of time Bjorn on youtube has his eyes off the road while he plays about with screens……

Like a woman I seen drive by me while I was walking in Tesla the last day. She was looking and pressing the screen rather than having her eyes on the road.

The other question is, can you justify the cost of you have an ICE at home ? I've been there, done that, you come to the realisation that spending so much money on cars isn't an ideal way to part with your hard earned but I undestand the desire for something new, been there lol. Older and wiser now you see.

In my very honest opinion I would keep the fiesta then if it's got that low mileage, they're decent cars to drive too.

Just to be sure, will you keep the fiesta, will this be the other car and the id3 the main car ? you don't want your heart to rule your head, money is best kept in the bank, I wish I could go back to 2015 and tell myself not to do it lol. But like many, I wanted to experience EV so that's what I did and lost a tonne all the time lol.

Yeah, I got offered less than what a lot of 58 Kwh are going for not to mention some ford focus going for a lot more lol but anyway always get offered less when it comes to trade in.

Only think is selling with outstanding finance can be a chore as most people are turned off immediately but I bought the Prius with outstanding finance, we agreed price, I paid balance of loan in the bank had him sign paper that said after doing so the Prius was mine and that was that. Bank printed out that I paid and am now the owner of the car which was nice.

We are a two car family alright. The Fiesta will go and we have another ICE which will stay. I do like my Fiesta and have had twins in it up to them being 6 years old but while the 3 door looks nice, it’s a PITA to get them buckled in.
    I’m the same about spending money on them. There are more expensive cars that’s I’d prefer, and luckily enough to be in the position to get if I wanted, but I don’t want to spend that much with the limited driving that I do.
    I just figure the prices won’t change that much from where they are now. Rumours of ID2 and Renault 5 to start from ~€25k with lower power / capacity so now seems like a decent time to go for it.

• Advertisement

You'd be better off checking out the Dacias, they are real bargains in a world of grossly over priced cars, not just electrics. you're not going to save anything or the earth in an EV but your bank account will indeed suffer, best put the money in a long term investment plan.

2nd hand Kia Cee'd is another good one 2nd hand that won't break the bank. Or just buy another fiesta but 5 doors, they're great cars.

I understand the desire for the new tech, been there done that 3 times since 2015, not any more so I am in a better position to advise people, buy a cheap more practical car, put the money away for a holiday and for God's sake, if you can't buy on hire purchase then don't go on PCP because you will have to face the balloon at the end while the monthly payments are low they are for a reason.

So some interesting statistics.

according to the home charge point.

2022 Consumption was 3851.48 Kwh

2023 3697.60 Kwh

So far in 2024 1454.59 Kwh

Wow, I wasn't commuting from February 2023 but yet I still managed to clock up 3697 Kwh , that's insane !

I really liked the Leaf for the reason it tracked Kwh + kms and efficiency, this is sadly missing from VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭fafy

just one caveat here. I heard reports the bigger 12.9 “ touch screen with new backlit sliders is already available in Europe on the standard models, but has been delayed for RHD models, this UK website mentions its “mid 2024” for this to be included with RHD, as they had to rejig controls for RHD models:

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufacturer-news/2023/03/02/volkswagen-reveals-updated-id3

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

I’d heard something too that they were changing back to buttons on the steering wheel. I guess that helps with the change in NCAP setup which will soon take digital distraction into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Very happy (3yrs, 80k km's). They are well built, nice/solid to drive. It will serve you well.

Like any car it has a few weak spots but it was primarily in the 1st editions and those issues (software, charge flap, suspension issues) are sorted now so you shouldnt have those issues if buying a 241.

If you want to look at negatives you will always find something but ultimately you test drive the car and if you like it and the price is right then go ahead as there is no perfect car out there.

e.g. Complaints about lack of buttons and interiors etc is all just personal opinion. Make up your own mind on that stuff. The ID.3 is a decent car.

58kw Pro Version for €31k and that includes the supply and fitting of a home charger.

Thats a decent price if it includes fitting a home charger as that is surely worth another €500 or so after grant. What charge point are they offering? Is it the VW one?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭electricus

Overall, I’m very happy with mine (a Tour5). It’s not perfect but great to drive, the extra weight keeps it pinned to the road. I have never had any issues with range or charging.

In hindsight, I didn’t really need the 77kWh version but at the time it came with lots of extras for not much more than the Family version I was also looking at.

The UI isn’t perfect but has improved a lot, and I assume even better in the new model. It’s definitely better than you will see in early YouTube reviews, but you really need to try it for yourself.

If buying new, get one with Goodyear tyres, if you can, as they last a lot longer than the Bridgestones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Half it's value in 3 years. What's to be warned about? Every new car depreciates by that amount especially since the pent up post COVID demand had fizzled out. The infotainment if it's running the newest version is fine. I don't feel the compunction to touch this or tip that and I certainly don't let passengers touch it, I drive, I'm in charge. Anyone not happy with that can walk or use their own mode of transport. I'd have no hesitation recommending an EV as the main family car, mine is, but, and this is a big but, you must have home charging with a proper CP not a granny charger.

There's plenty of manual ICE cars worth a good bit more than what I was offered, same year and even more mileage but as always best to sell private. VW never going to give good trade in anyway, why would they when they can make a nice chunk of cash on my loss ?

They contract in ePower to supply and install. The guy I was speaking to said it was a Zappi charger that was provided.

• Advertisement

Advertisement