Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2024 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

They are really farming UCI points this season, they must be worried about relegation at the end of 2025. At the other end of the spectrum, spare a thought for the lads on the Soudal Quick Step bus, Patrick L is not going to be too happy with 18th and 47th as their best finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Come on Kasia!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,667 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's crazy how little she wins despite always being at the sharp end of races. Really hope she does it.

Not likely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Longo look very good. I can see her attack shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

She really suffers tactically but I love watching her race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Ceepo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Makes me feel less bad about my performance in We Ride Flanders 2022 sportive. Walked up both the Koppenburg and Paterburg, although both times due to someone stopping right in front of me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sam, Darren Rafferty & Ben Healy all in action in France today. Pan flat stage but for some reason both Healy & Rafferty are on the attack

• Registered Users Posts: 10,187 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

guessing it isn’t as flat as advertised as PCS has noted that both Sam and Brian Coquard are at the rear of the peleton

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Rafferty in the breakaway - ✅

Healy on a solo attack - ✅

Sam to win the sprint - 🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Sam giving up in the sprint again in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I didn't see the finish but 19th place for Sam… 😕

Usual scenario of late. There or therabouts in the run in and then just sits up when it gets to the final sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭seaviewphotos

And I see another rider from Decathlon AG2R La Mondiale Team won the sprint in the Basque Tour today.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It's very likely a part of his contract to ride the Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Whoever it was on here that nailed their colours to the mast on Sam's status a few years ago must be lauded for not gloating, given the amount of stick he took for saying it at the time. It's like groundhog day every Spring. He comes across as such a likeable guy that you keep on hoping there's a grand plan and he'll come roaring into form at the right time. It's hard to keep the faith though. Hope he pulls something out of the bag this season, for himself more so than anyone else.

As much as I hate to say it Pat LeFev may have been correct with some of his points. At the moment Sam seems weak. He doesn't fight for position or to get to the front, if the road doesn't open up in front of him he just sits up. I see 0 aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭dublin49

He peaked ,got injured and never returned to anywhere near his peak form,same happened to Roche,more serious injury granted but as fans we never want their success to end but it happens to them all,some more abruptly than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Ryan Mullen and Rory Townsend on the start list for Scheldeprijs today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Sam was interviewed on the Eurosport Cycling Show recently and was very positive about the progress being made with the sprint train etc. but as MB says above no sign of any fight/aggression in the finish of these races and regardless of any work getting a working sprint train together he needs to accept he won't have a train anywhere near what he has had in the past so the aggression is even more necessary. I know Sam rode yesterday but strange for AG2R not to be in Scheldeprijs as a team with or without him.

good sprint by Sam today, even if only for second

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Ye it probably is. Seems to have done ok today so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Signs of life for Sam anyway, watched back a rerun of yesterday's stage and Sam had a mechanical about 25kms out and spent a good 5/6km getting back on through the cars so I don't know if that took the edge off when it came to the sprint.

He probably hasn't done anything of note so far to earn complete trust of his team but Cosnefroy in the break today should really have sat up after he didn't get a gap on the last climb rather than pushing on and instead allow the peloton to close up and ensure a sprint finish. ( I have probably been watching too many Chris Horner race reviews on YouTube but the phrase knucklehead was racing through my head as I was watching the last few km)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,704 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Coukd it be a case of Sam's team deciding to not peak too early as they want a successful grand tour?

we’d like to think that, but he hasn’t really earned that benefit of the doubt.

I don’t think anyone can expect him to be there, but hopefully he is there and flying

good to see Lara Gillespie riding with the UAE world tour team today instead of the usual development team. She might be going full time with them after the Olympics

A decent 12th at Scheldeprijs too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Massive crash in basque.

Roglic, Jonas are done..Jonas looks bad. Remco looks to have a broken collarbone. Some other riders in worse than the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 StuttgartKY

Yeah seems that corner was really difficult/dangerous. Breakaway rider had gone off there but kept it upright just about.

This after the crash last week in DDV shows the danger of the sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It looked like one rider slipped out then a reaction from others caused the most damage into those large boulders which should have been moved pre race given the location.

Remco looked like he overshot the bend independently to me.

Advertisement