Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Don't really mock them, but we have had lively conversations around who we supported in various elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You just posted you mocked them, personally I have friends who vote for whichever party they want to and I would never feel the need to mock them over it. It's a personal decision and anyone who would mock me over voting for a party would be quickly told to exit stage left

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The thing is the air ambulances and ambulance bases should be in place before you shut down small more localised A&Es, so that people can quickly get to these new centralised so called centres of excellence.

But this is Ireland where the cart always goes before the horse.

This is Ireland where you build loads of houses in communities, but a school or something offering the community services.

FFS who would want them.

Developers don't make enough out of them, they cost the councils and central government money so they will hold off on them but they can still rake in development fees from the houses.

Also most of these A&Es are overcrowded since we have no longer have people just going to GPs and GPs are no longer capable or willing to take care of some emergencies.

We have no primary care in the community.

You really are p*ss taker.

How many villages and towns are there in County Clare that still have to find their way to overcrowded A&E in Limerick or Galway.

Or do you think everyone should live in Ennis and Shannon.

Sitting waiting for ambulance in the middle of the town of Kilkee or the village of Liscannor is the same as sitting in a farmhouse outside either of these.

The ambulance still may be hours away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I'll go further Podge, these Indos want regional Eds opened because they can claim they brought jobs into the area.

One of these can sustain 250 t0 350 handy jobs and these tools can then swan about the place basking in the claim that 'they got for the town'.

Total chancers.

• Advertisement

You and your mates keep telling yourselves that it was all because he was gay and of non Irish descent. 🙄

The thing is I bet most people couldn't give a feck if he was riding a sheep and wearing a turban if he was actually doing some good for us the Irish people.

It was himself that first brought his sexuality into it, it was himself that brought divisive modern left liberal identity politics into mainstream Irish political life all because it appealed to the twitter loving generations.

I suppose you reckon we overwhelmingly rejected his referendums because we are homophobic and racist or maybe we are just country thickos and urban scumbags.

Of course you turn to the right wing politics as if Ireland is full of neo nazis.

Besides you never ever actually stand back and wonder why are real right wing parties on the rise throughout Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,232 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Critical mass of population is what is required for functioning hospitals. Unfortunately, the pattern of development in Ireland over a century has made it impossible for us to provide quick access to emergency departments for all. Serious changes in settlement patterns are required.

The idea that everyone at the top of a hill or at the end of a boreen should have hospitals, public transport, schools, universities, banks and post offices within a short distance is simply bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

How did he bring "modern left liberal identity politics into mainstream Irish political life"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 27,232 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What do I think of the job that doctors and nurses are doing in Limerick hospital? I really don't have an opinion.

What do I think of the job that local management are doing in Limerick hospital? I really don't have an opinion.

What do I think of the job that regional HSE management are doing in the area? I really don't have an opinion.

What I do know is that the HSE have been provided with the funding, with the resources and with the support from government. In some places they are doing a good job, and in others it is not working out. The reasons lie in one of the three questions above, which one provides the answer, I don't know, but it is not the fault of central government or the Departmental civil service.

I just go on what I do know. There are problems in Limerick hospital. They are not caused by lack of funding, they are not caused by governmental policy. Somewhere else in the system is the root of the problem.

Edit: What has any of it to do with Leo? I won't develop any further unless you provide some link to the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I would argue rabid nationalism is growing as we are copying what we are seeing either side of the water to us

Bullcr**.

We have a critical mass of people in the Limerick urban area, about a 102,000 as far as I know.

Yet we have a fooked situation where the A&E in main hospital is overrun and there are not enough hospital beds in the hospital itself.

The people could all live in Raheen/dooradoyle in tower blocks ala Singapore and it makes fook all difference.

Investment in beds and front line staff, investment in primary care in the communities is what is needed not more managers.

No one ever brings up this crap about everyone wanting a hospital, university, bank, public transport hub at the end of every boreen except the government and public sector apologists like yourself and the ideology greens who despise anyone living rurally.

It is also just a snide condescending way of referring to people that don't happen to live in our major cities, and the main one in particular.

And before you say this has nothing to do with old Leo.

He is the guy meant to be in charge of our state and part of that is the states services to our people.

Or are you a true Leoite in that you only take the good news stories and runaway from the inconvenient bad news.

His government tried to remove references to women and mothers in the constitution.

His government has tried to bring in hate speech legislation that can effectively make it a criminal offense to challenge someones view of gender, no matter how outlandish it may be.

Modern left identity politics is very much about taking personal offense and the hate speech legislation is to copper fasten that in law.

Pure rubbish

This has been going on for yonks, the HSE heads are getting paid enough.

The money is there, they should sort it out.

How come other hospitals can work this out and the same problems arise in the same areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

He is right BB. Until you have lived it, it's very easy to be flippant. I was in UHG A&E early last week and it was an absolute shiitshow. We eventually got admitted after 14 hours and my relation spent the next 4 days on a trolley in the corridor beside A&E getting treatment. The frontline staff were trying their best but the conditions are inhumane. My relation was actually discharged from A&E - no ward bed could be found in that period. The government need to sort it out but it's clear there is no political will. It's getting worse and nurses/doctors are leaving Ireland as a result.

Did Harris even mention Health in his little speech? He failed many people in the Health portfolio already.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is a standard response from those who stoutly and blindly defend government policies of the day. Not just you - you see it here all the time on the immigration debate threads

First of all, yous insist everything is fine & dandy.

Frustrated members of the public then point out problems that are chronic.

Yous then sort of acknowledge this but deflect by putting the blame on individuals or bodies for not doing more.

Then back to insisting everything is fine & dandy. Frustrated members of the public then point out problems that are chronic

Rinse & repeat.

I never insisted that everything was fine and dandy Mr F.

There is a problem in UHL, the money is there we are told, why isn’t it sorted out.

Is there any plan in place to sort this out .

Surely there are enough managers to get to the bottom of why this is still going on.

Is it vested interests?

Is it too many people arriving into A&E

Is it too few staff.. why can’t we hire more

Is it management incompetence

Is it poor work practices.

Is it lack of beds and staff to manage them

Has to one of those…..can anyone say which of those or combinations of those it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

It's a whole confluence of issues. There's horrendously bad planning / no planning at all from what I can see.

It's very clear that Limerick in particular, but also Cork has FAR too few beds and the hospital capacity hasn't kept pace with the scale of development. Meanwhile, we have lashed billions at a massively over spec'd children's hospital that has dragged on chaotically missing every deadline and blowing every budget.

It's a bit like being told to renovate the house, and coming back with a Fabergé Egg, while the roof's falling off the kitchen.

There's a chaotic structure - nobody seems to know what anyone's doing and there's so many organisations involved it's hard to even keep track.

There's extreme inertia and vested interests who simply do not want change, even though the whole system's falling down around them.

They treat staff badly and burn them out with unreasonable work practices, causing them to loose people to other systems.

Then you've massive structural issues like inadequate primary care putting huge pressure on A&E and what seem to be a lack of all sorts of ancillary services that would reduce pressure on acute hospitals.

None of this stuff is acceptable politically - and it's feeding in to public anger with the government and even just a sense that people are fed up with politics in general. That's not a good situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ireland is still a rural backwater in many ways.

It is only a wealthy country on paper not in reality, the GDP is skewed by multinationals passing money through here.

The health service is third world, so are the roads, and alot of services.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kiteview

Imperfect as the service are they are a long, long way from what we had here in the past never mind what you’d find in the third world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kiteview

While I largely agree with many of your points, there is a funding issue in the case of Limerick. A post by a doctor I read some time ago compared the funding of Limerick V’s Beaumont hospital and the numbers of patients both handle. Limerick receives far less funding per patient than Beaumont does (and has far less doctors etc as a result), so there appears to be a clear “Dublin bias” at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Got to disagree. I think the growth is because of the perceived appearance of the government not giving a crap about Irish People and the dismissive way people are dealt with by government representatives and supporters.

Well since this "How many villages and towns are there in County Clare that still have to find their way to overcrowded A&E in Limerick or Galway", was mentioned by @jmayo I think it is relevant to this thread. If it had not being mentioned on here I would not have brought it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Stephen.

Donnelly was lambasting Harris in the Dail over the trolley crisis in 2019. Harris' failures eventually brought down the government.

Now the current health minister is only allowed out to speak on special occasions. Where does he be hiding?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Thats what I am talking about the management team at UHL should be held accountable by the DoH and fired.

He is like Neal Richmond, aiming to become the world hide and seek champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

It's probably smart, when being the front man\woman for the institutional multi-decade clusterfcuk that is the Irish health service, to say as little as possible in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What a bleak view for those who 'live outside the M50'. What you are inferring is that investment should only go into the large urban areas. For example we live near enough two largish towns and yet you'd still have to travel 50 miles to get to a decent hospital, so clearly these towns are not in your head.

So what happens when you and your ilk want to go off on your w/e break in Ireland? With that vision, you'll find no services, no shops, cafes, pubs, few people except our new immigrant friends that your buddies are keen on importing and distributing to the far shores.

But then it's quite likely yous wouldn't be bothered going on a w/e or weeks holiday here. Sure why wouldn't you hop on a metro out to the airport, jet off and spend yer money elsewhere. There's more to be being a patriotic citizen that waffling on about constitutional matters and quoting international law..

What is needed is that ‘someone’ needs to step in and parse this crud out.

There has to be standards available which sets out the numbers and facilities which can be handled at any one time

That should identify where the main problem is and then steps can be taken to rectify the problem and those causing the problem identified.

Seems that nobody knows what’s going on in UHL.

The public and the taxpayer should know why this fcukkery is constant in that facility.

The numbers should stack up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

You cant fire civil servants for lack of performance. When was the last time a minister actually fired someone?

Advertisement