Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great House Revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

This is easily the most ambitious, and most fascinating project out of all the episodes (and series) so far. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id say the kids are raging seeing their inheritance go on this, then again if they succeed it could sell for a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That roof is very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Loving this episode. Can't see them being finished now though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The modern extension they tacked onto it looks dreadful.

Ambitious to say the least. €350k would not go far here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

They are up to last October and still not remotely finished. Not even half way to be honest after 3 years. I suspect they were told patch something together up so we can film and get the hell out of this in time for the upcoming series.

But in 5 or 6 years when they are eventually finished it will be one great achievement.

How did that get planning permission? Its brutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

WTF???

They look to have finished it in about 4 months. They did more in 4 months than in 3 years!

Damn nice interior though. I absolutely love Medieval stonework.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Confused how they got planing to stick a modern extension into a protected structure it looks brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭Deeec

I admire them for the work they have done and they have stayed true to the castle.

I can see them wanting to move on though in a few years and being unable to sell it. It would be a difficult house to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Not sure about it to be honest. It doesn't grab me tbh.

I really don't think I could live there nor enjoy living there.

Hate the extension. With a little thought and expense they could blended it in a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Don’t like it , I was really hoping It was going to be something special. It looks freezing and not liveable at all.. no wonder they wanted the new extension.

Maybe as a quirky Airbnb.. big waste of money.

I can see them moving on fairly quickly and probably will get it hard to sell it.

I honestly don’t think they are even happy with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Be right back

I don't think they mentioned how it was heated. Must be freezing in winter. Don't like the new extension either.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

You could see their breath in it when the three of them were talking at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It would make a great party house.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

I have to say I'm gobsmacked that they achieved so much in so little time and nearly in their budget. If the OPW were restoring something similar it would cost millions and go on for years on end. I've seen that happening in a couple of projects they were involved in. But this couple showed what can be done and still preserve the character of the building. It's not my cup of tea but fair dues to them for what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Only watching it now..... Mother of God, they're absolutely mad!!!!

But a very likeable pair, their enthusiasm is very infectious. Possibly deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Builders Providers thanked in the credits.

Must be getting discounts.

Fair play. Again, it wouldn’t be for me, but it’s some achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

There's still a considerable amount of work to do. The castle didn't even have a builder's finish. The extension also looks like it needs a lot of work. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any plumbing in and it looks like they need to get the heating, wiring etc sorted

Fair play to them though, seemed like they did a lot of very labour intense work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Another good episode and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how good this season has been. This final house seemed to be more of a retirement project for the couple. They wanted a castle to play medieval dress up in and host parties or feasts. Not my scene but they seemed very interested, knowledgeable and passionate about medieval things which was lovely for them. Liked how they placed emphasis on craftmanship and old ways of doing things and if it suits them to take their time at this pet project then so be it. Like others here the jury is out on the extension, perhaps when / if it's all completed it might look better incorporated. I think this house would suit better as an Air BnB. What kind of heating did they put into any part of the house - cos on more than one occasion I could see peoples' breathe fogging up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

That blacksmith was an absolute unit. was very interesting to see the nails being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

This was such an "American" thing to do.

Some Americans are absolutely fascinated by medieval history ...i remember chatting to a young guy 20's who was fascinated by Ireland having real castles etc.

I certainly see this as being a source of income for them, tapping into the market of Americans wanting the medieval experience. She'll probably run medieval clay tile firing workshops to generate another source of income.

I thought the finish was lovely, I suspect they plan on heating the old building with open fires, they had a few going but I didn't notice a chimney on the outside.

The new build was underfloor heating I suspect they will live there 99% of the time especially in Winter.

Fair play to them they were definitely following their passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A very fun and sound couple.

It looks absolutely freezing and feels like a mueseum...but fair play to them if that's what they want. But some of that craft put into it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Parsons house is gorgeous really fab fair play to them… lots of hard work there

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Aurelian

40k under budget... 225k all in... this like the anti- Room To Improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

This is how it's done when you leave Demot out of it. Lovely job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Steviemak7

Just seen that. How much was the house bought for because that is unbelievable value. The finishes in the whole house were extremely high quality

Advertisement