Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great House Revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Ah back to Dublin budgets this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

yeah probably going to be between 800,000 and a million for this when finished

• Registered Users Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CH3OH

36k for windows from Romania?

Did I hear that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Dont think it looks great, I'm sure they like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CH3OH

460K for the house and 400k for the job

I expected Dermot Bannon to jump out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Not a fan of this at all, just didn't like it. Not my taste.

But the two lads were very good looking😊 so something was pleasing to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Horrible interior. Curtains as dividers between rooms downstairs. 🤨 The brushed steel finish did help the kitchen, but it does look like a takeaway kitchen. They spent €450,000 on the house 5 years ago, so that's one of the few things in their favour, and that aspect is out of their hands.

The €400,000 they spent on renovating it was money wasted in my opinion, admittedly, some of the repairs were unforeseen and out of their hands. Their taste in finishing was awful, and Hugh though critical of them sometimes, held back at other times.

White all over, but they tried to play it down by saying it gives them a blank canvas. Even though they've been planning the finish for years. Those face masks were horrible, each to their own, perhaps. But even the small, sitting, framed picture of what's his name Clancy, the original owner and parliamentarian, you know that's gone back in a drawer as soon as the cameras left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Fabulous house, great location, seriously nice people. I just wasn't a fan of their interior choices. It had a temporary feel about it and reminded me of various bedsits I stayed in decades ago. I suppose it's hard to top last week's episode. Fair play to them both, they achieved their dream and I wish them all the best in their new home

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

100% agree about the funeral vibe with the curtains although to me it looked like a crematorium where the curtains envelope the coffin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

The two lads had zero interest on being on the show nor Hugh's input, it was purely an ad for their business. I wouldn't be hiring them off the back of this anyway!

Horrible house and not worth almost 900k!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭Rfrip

yeah agree totally there, they had no interest!!

I don’t think I’ve ever hated a kitchen more in any of these programmes! The floor in the kitchen would bring me out in hives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The kitchen floor looked crap and cost 4000, that's a lot of self leveling compound.

I didn't see the start of the programme, what business did they have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭Rfrip

they were both architects!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Just watched it now. I was wondering why they were always wearing hard hats and high Viz with a company logo on it. But that said I wouldn't be hiring them. Architects that didn't even cop on that the house they wanted to buy for 450k didn't have foundations and the window surrounds were so rotten the shutters were only held up by the wallpaper. I'd have thought something like that would be picked up before they they bought it and certainly should be noticed when they designed the new build. If they couldn't do that for their own home I shudder to think what they would do to houses they aren't invested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

That's exactly it, and the stupid extractor that everyone was trying not to bust their heads off was just vile and way too big for the tiny space they had in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Hugh went very easy on them in the end - you wonder does he just say it's great all the time rather than appear rude by giving out after the work is done and it's too late to change.

House looked more like an art gallery than a lived in home, white everywhere (apart from the stainless steel kitchen)

You would think architects would know better, but then given state of modern architecture these days it's not entirely surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I wouldn’t pay nearly 900 grand for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Aside from the price paid, I think you’re all being a bit harsh on the two lads. Job is done. Apart from ornate cornices, most of those old Dublin red bricks have nothing much going for them architecturally inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It could be a 1970s ex corpo house they started with, it's still a very poor job inside. You'd think 2 architects would have better interior design skills but no.

Hugh was rightly lambasting them for a total lack of colour and pattern, and the stainless steel kitchen, yikes.

Remember at one stage they were talking about having their ovens on the dining area side of their kitchen island! That would have been a real clanger. Imagine having to walk around your kitchen island to get at your oven.

They mustn't teach the kitchen triangle in architecture school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Be right back

The kitchen is awful, really bad. Why on earth did they imitate a fast food place? The slanted mirrors! 🫣 Can't imagine their friends staying for too long. Very unwelcoming environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Tbh I didn't think this house met the "great house" definition....though there was a similar house on a couple of seasons ago.

I thought the 400k purchase price was fair enough , but the 400K refurbishment price is just madness.

There are much nicer and bigger houses in better areas on the market that are cheaper. I doubt if they put that house to market today they'd recoup the spend.

They never showed the utility room or bathroom which I presume were off the corridor to the kitchen.

Your heart be broken cleaning those mirrors. Didn't mind the stainless steel tbh but the curtains were bonkers.

Main bedroom was lovely.

They seemed happy with it, so I wish them the best of luck. That price it wouldn't be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Only started watching this show last week and that young couple were brilliant and did a great job on their house. I wouldn't be paying any attention to their figures as he did most of the work himself and the bits he couldn't do they always had a friend or family member do it for a fraction of the price (we can't all just get a mini digger for free on short notice).

The house this week on the other hand…

If you had nearly 900k to spend on a house who'd be happy buying that? Decor is an each to their own but the masks alone would make me want to not be in that room. The funeral home style curtains cost €4.5k, madness. I'm not opposed to the industrial style kitchen but it was far too big for the room that it was in. I did really like the curved wall and was intrigued to see the w/c and utility room, pity they didn't show it. If the lads are happy that's all that matters but they certainly weren't happy whenever Hugh questioned or commented on their choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

I also don't mind the stainless steel look. But that massive extractor hanging down in the middle of the room was ridiculous. They wanted the commercial kitchen look which is fine, but they aren't running a commercial kitchen so that extractor is way OTT. Awful.

Spending so much on those huge glass panes only to then cover them up with what are essentially net curtains was hilarious.

The finish on the wooden floors was lovely, I don't know what possessed them to paint the stairs blue. The old part of the house I liked in general but decor was lacking.

I have to assume a large chunk of that 400k went towards the structural fixes. I can't for the life of me think where else it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Sunjava

All these shows are the same in that respect...all very nice and polite when all is revealed. I don't know how it could be any different.. in this instance Hugh prob had to bite his tongue. I wonder what sort of uptick their business will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Sunjava

I would think the fact that it was 2 architects was a bit of a problem. Architects tend to have very individual ideas of what looks good, always thinking they have to be doing something different to be special..the result here was prob a mishmash of the 2 visions, they prob went for white because they couldn't agree on anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There were better finishes achieved on that old show "£100k house" than the lads ended up with this week. Self-leveling compound as a floor finish? Pull the other one!

The interior finish they ended up with absolutely screamed "we ran out of money".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I strongly suspect that's why the utility and bathroom weren't shown as either not complete or just the bare bones.

I get an old house will throw up unwelcome surprises, especially structurally, that can absolutely eat a budget. However they should be budgeted for too. Especially when you are in the game. Not like these were two office workers or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think the opener last week set the bar high for the series. Sunday's episode didn't hit the mark for me. Much of what they did just wasn't to my taste. Mainly I didn't like the big industrial extractor fan in the kitchen - it took up so much space, was too low down, would have blocked natural light getting into the cooking area and just would have split up the open plan area when you had people over. Take it away and have a couple of high chairs pulled up for people to have a chat around the island.

Didn't like the kitchen floor either - it screams we ran out of money. I wouldn't like the coldness or the texture of it under my feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Watched the latest one last night - I was really irritated with Hugh all the way through, talking to the two guys - who owned the house, had lived in it for a few years, were architects themselves and CLEARLY knew exactly what they wanted (and were prepared to go through 20 sets of plans until they got it) - like they were simpletons who needed a bit of guidance on colour and texture.

I really hope this series isn't going down the RtI route of arguments/discord just for the sake of the telly "drama"……

I've a house a bit younger (and a lot smaller!) than theirs, and I've just painted it white throughout - and I'm absolutely delighted with it!

I hated a few bits of theirs in the end - the front door, the stairs/landing (the Mexican in one of them coming out, I suspect), the curved corridor down to the kitchen (although that may actually be better in real life, I suspect it was the camerawork that let it down), and those godawful net curtains 😱😱 - like, WTAF??? Apart from the look of them (crematorium is absolutely spot on!), the stink/staining after a year or two of hanging in a busy, very used kitchen doesn't bear thinking about!

And in their main bedroom upstairs, the built-in wardrobes either side of the fireplace looked like chipboard homemade jobs from a 70's bedsit - I forgot to look back at the "before" shots to see if they were there the whole time, but they looked like they were just given a lick of paint - they stuck out like a sore thumb to me, when the rest of the house was so sharp.

Overall I wouldn't be a fan of the finished product - but once again, they're the ones living in it, so each to their own - and as someone above posted, it looked very much like an hour-long free ad for their architectural practice.

Advertisement