Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm a bit confused by all this: I see they competed (and won) the Super Cup, which I guess is what I was speculating about, but they were also invited into the Challenge Cup? And I see their games were happening around the same time in Dec. 2023 ... Were the Black Lions then competing in two club tourneys at the same time?

I do note that they didn't finish last in their group; they won a game, against Scarlets and seemed to run Gloucester close - though no clue if both teams fielded weakened teams or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The 6N and RC teams can not be relegated from that league structure.

It's essentially a sop to a couple tier 2 teams and it is not enough. That being said, it is genuinely difficult to balance all the priorities here. Obviously relegation in 6N is out of the question, and the international calendar is probably overpacked as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭ersatz

Bad as Wales are, Georgia would be pummeled in the 6N. Maybe there is a way of improving them sufficiently to get there but they have a very long way to go to compete consistently with 4 or 5 of the top ten teams in the world. It would be counterproductive and pointless. That's the real issue for a neutral about relegation from the 6N. Countries that don't have a competitive professional domestic game just can't hope to produce the 30-40-50 pros you need to play an annual tournament at that level. I see SA in the 6 nations before Georgia or Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I was only being tongue and cheek.

Relegation is a horrendous idea and will never happen in any case for the 6N, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭ersatz

Ah I knew you were kidding but there is often way too much focus on the financial incentive unions have to keep the 6N a closed shop when from a competitive and rugby point of view there are not any other candidates within an asses roar of being viable participants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It would work if the distance between tier 1 and 2 was close enough that promoted nations could cause a stir, maybe even the odd shock winner; unfortunately we're way off from that, as we all know the drop off in this sport is steep. Even among Tier 1 itself there's a growing gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It wouldnt work. If Wales were relegated this season to a second tier, their entire rugby pyramid would collapse. And it's bad enough as it is.

Well that's kinda what I'm saying: if the gap between Tier 1 and 2 wasn't so huge, it would imply the relative health of those countries' unions was strong enough to withstand the up and down. But it's only cos the drop is so insanely steep that absolutely, if Wales were relegated tomorrow their union would collapse.

Anyway. It isn't that equal and not anywhere close so it's all academic either way 🙂 But if Georgia starts taking scalps regular enough it'll open up the conversation all over again, so doubtless we'll be here again next time they beat poor 'aul Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's a terrible concept from a financial perspective. You have acrete wealth when teams are yo-yoing up and down. It's an anachronism from an amateur era, that only works now with a rich owner plowing money into a team

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ticket prices for The Lions game v Argentina in the Aviva

It may well be a sellout but I don't know too many who'll shell out that sort of money

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's a spicy meatball!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Those are crazy..

I get that it's an opportunity to see the Lions play that some might not get otherwise , but ~€250 minimum for 2 tickets anywhere decent is madness.

What are the lower prices in brackets (other than being half of the other price)?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Those prices aren't doing much to counter the idea that The Lions are only a money making entity.

I assumed the bracketed prices are juvenile tickets

Bloody Eck, that's a big fat no. Was never that big into the Lions as others but while match prices are bad this feels especially cynical - yet the stadium will be full.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

George North ruptured his achilles

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I knew that would happen. Said it on the morning of the game, he'll do an O'Connell and never make it to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

No luck like bad luck, awful news for him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jesus maybe the RWC just has me conditioned differently now but those Lions tickets aren't that bad?

I think its moreso the hotels that get you in Dublin these days, utter shite and 200+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Price of tickets for everything is getting silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

No thread on the women's 6 nations and I can't even find 1 post about today's game. Looking forward to seeing if they have improved in the professional era, I have a feeling it will be a few years before we are competitive against England and France.

Georgia already making noises about their status in light of Wales' collapse, and I guess eyeing up an upset in Tbilisi to further the narrative - if they can make the match happen.

“It’s my great pleasure to invite our dear friends from Wales to play Georgia in Tbilisi this autumn,” said GRU president Ioseb Tkemaladze in a statement issued Friday.

“After a thrilling Six Nations and Georgia’s seventh success in a row in the Rugby Europe Championship, it is the fixture rugby fans everywhere are crying out for, so I really hope the Welsh can take up our invitation. Of course, we would be equally happy to play them in Cardiff — where we won a famous victory in 2022.”

Tkemaladze added: “There is a strong connection between our two proud rugby nations, and we have had some exciting contests recently. We are rugby brothers.”

His comments came after Cockerill told AFP in Paris following the Rugby Europe Championship final that Georgia needed an enhanced diet of fixtures against major nations.

“I don’t know what competition we’re able to join, but certainly we need stronger opposition so we know where we’re at,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The RWC are important, competitive games and still cheaper than these Lions pre season friendly tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Watching Saracens today and I now remember why I couldn’t stand Ben Earl

Earl was exceptional during the 6N. Didn’t see any of those ridiculous “plastic energy” cerebrations.

Today back to rubbing opposition's players heads after they missed tackles

I cannot wait until England next year.

That defeat in Twickenham and how Earl dominated must have really stuck in the craw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've just read that the GAA Central council has approved use of Croke Park and Pairc Ui Chaoimh for Soccer and Rugby in the coming months.

I believe the Soccer is for some sort of fans zone for the European final but Rugby?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Aviva is out of action for a number of weeks as they do works to prep it for hosting a soccer European final.

If Leinster were to qualify for a home Euro semi-final they'd need a venue to play it which following this decision will be Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Any idea of what exactly they need to do to the stadium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Advertisement