Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jesus this is far out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

England undone by another last minute kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭clsmooth

What a game. Both teams can come out happy after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Table ends as I thought it would after round 1. England on the right track though

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Monye; "he offered up his arm!". What nonsense.

Pity Earl didn't get called for not releasing after the tackle last week, instead he got a penalty. For all the good he can do, he's a bit of a liability too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭OldRio

Georgia v Portugal in the final of the Rugby Europe Championship tonight at 8.00. I must try and find a stream.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I watched the Poland v Belgium highlights, because apparently I have nothing else to do with my life? Tier 2 has that weird halfway energy between top tier and something below, always causing discussion about its place in world rugby; but you quickly remember just how big the gulf is even below that tier, when you watch the likes of the above. Equally though, you saw just how much the result meant to the Belgians and that's always great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Thank you so much. Enjoying this. Quote from the ref to the front rows. 'If you do not want to scrum, I have a solution, but you might not like it' Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭fitz

Georgia with a fair few cheapshots...need to be careful, they're not gonna keep getting away with them and if they go to 14, Portugal may punish them with a bit of extra space.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StormForce13

That looks like Tual Trainini. He's a very good ref, IMHO, and has excellent English.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭fitz

Ha, and he went ahead and binned one from either side. Good man, not putting up with any messing.

Yeah it's Trainini. Like Fitz mentioned he binned one from either side. Love it.

It's all a bit mad, no control from either team. Georgia, as we all know, physically stronger. Yet not much in the score.

Georgia pulling away.

I'd love to watch Cockerills team to have a crack against Wales.

36 v 3 at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It was quite funny watching the ref in the last ten minutes, he clearly was totally exasperated with both sides, he just shook his head at one of the rucks with the messing going on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Highlights of the final: man, Georgia steamrolled poor Portugal, who seemed utterly at sea going by the highlights package?

A 7th straight title: it must be maddening for the Georgia rugby union; demonstrably better than the tournament they play in, yet can't get so much as a sniff of a chance to move upwards and improve. Stuck constantly in limbo, notwithstanding their players' personal careers in France etc.

There should be some rethink: perhaps a URC league for tier 2 so they can run professional clubs, play against each other and raise all ships on the same tide. We're seeing the same approach in the Americas and elsewhere - seems now is the time to try something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,564 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Its only 2 titles since 2006 thqt georgia havent won. 6 nations wont do anything that would, however unlikely to happen, weaken themselves

A urc 2nd division would be nice but making it viable enough for any side currently in the league to drop to that 2nd division is the issue

I was even just thinking of feeder clubs competing in a "super league" of Tier 2 nations to give a professional structure and standard, rather than 4, 5 separate countries all rowing in circles. Seems to be the plan with South American countries (not that Chile exactly kicked the doors down at the WC). But then if it doesn't all go somewhere, it might be for nothing if Lisbon RFC / Portugal can't push onwards. It's a very frustrating echo chamber as sports go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Georgia winning again, is pretty predictable, too good for that tournament , Spain beating Romania is a shock, theyve been hammered by administration incompetncy hijacking past 2 world cups, but looked decent on the highlight reel.

Spain like Portugal look like a good, competent team whose size really highlights the sheer physical difference between Tier 1 + 2. You would imagine Spain would get destroyed by a Tier 1 nation, sheer muscle outstripping Spain's apparent technical ability.

Impossible to know what Georgia can do though, with the 6 Nations a closed shop & gravy train, and the November window rejig potentially beneficial to Georgia as an invited guest - but FA use to anyone else in that tourney. If I've got the right end of the stick there: had to remind myself what plan is there and this seems to indicate the Portugals et al will eventually have a chance at promotion?

Launch of a biennial new international competition from 2026, comprising a top division of 12 teams (Six Nations unions, SANZAAR unions and two further unions to be selected via a process run by SANZAAR), and a second division run by World Rugby of 12 teams with promotion and relegation commencing from 2030.

But if there's a 4 year gap til it starts (if at all, cos it smells a bit can kicking?), surely that'll just give the 2 guests a headstart? Then again & also, if the Tier 1 teams are locked in and can't be relegated even if (say) Wales finish last, Georgia may be constantly up, down, up, down...

Open to correction by wiser heads, cos I suspect I'm completely misunderstanding the thing

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Had forgotten about that garbage plan. Why can't they just do a euros comp ffs. Hold it in Lions years, 12 teams, 2 pools, with a cup and plate playoff

Because those in charge seem to read "developing the game" as a kind of encircling of the wagons to create an S-Tier structure, developing our game not yours, with everything else just kind existing as a sideshow to feed into the pockets or power of those in charge. Plus ca change etc.; It's no more egregious than any other international sport these days I suppose, only with slightly less money sloshing about & more obvious set of hierarchies & gates (unless soccer ever manages to birth that Euro Super League idea constantly threatened, but we've seen the likes of Shamrock Rovers do well from the still-existing ability to play their way to the top tiers)

The 2030 caveat for this second tier tournament feels a little iffy; like they're throwing out a maybe, sure we'll do it later, honest kinda promise to the Tier 2+ unions. The constant yo-yoing of Georgia in and out of the main league every 2 years is gonna be tedious to see - though if Wales finished bottom of the heap in that new league - and it's not entirely implausible given what just passed - watch the fur fly then.

My understanding - Japan and Fiji will get 2 extra spots , in fairness they are at a better level than Georgia, still must be frustrating if involved in Georgian rugby.

Right, that makes more sense now that you say it: still, quite the yo-yo for those guys too, assuming everything's in place by 2030 & relegation/promotion kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

DVDM nominated for 6n player of the tournament is ridiculous

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

One forward, three backs. Last year it was one forward, five backs.

Overall winners: 5 forwards, 15 backs. One English winner in 20 years. 7 Irish winners.

It's not really a serious award.

Don't understand why Georgia are not given a URC spot, they at least deserve that , and I'm sure thers the appetite in Georgia to host one quality professional club team, would liven the tournament up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Because the unions who run it dont see them as financially helping the league. In rugby terms they deserve it but do they add to the league in any other areas?

Georgia do have a professional club team, black lions, who compete in the rugby europe super cup

Advertisement