Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

After Pascal and Coveney, he is the best FG candidate.

There will be a continuation of the govt with no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I just saw a pic of him there recently; he looks like a wigged-up comedian paying George Dubya.

In fairness, I'm not terribly familiar with him but he seemingly leaves a trail of disaster behind him. I mean, the Dept of Health is a dumpster fire to start with; he seems to have gone at it with a full can of petrol. I don't have a problem with him being a dropout but I'm always sceptical of people who want to be politicians from a young age. And frankly, I read his explanation of the Covid 18 comments and he comes across as a Boris Johnson-type waffler.

Finally, as a proud Brayhead, I could never get behind the idea of a Greystoner running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Such concepts are all relative these days 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Fine Gael lost 16 seats in 2016.

Fine Gael lost 15 seats in 2020.

With all the TDs retiring, I see Fine Gael losing at least 15 more seats and hovering around 20.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Well, there were a few other options. Heather Humphreys wouldn't necessarily have been the worst option, particularly if FG wanted to appeal to a more rural vote and to have the first female Taoiseach.

Harris just has an unfortunately preppy Tory type vibe to him. I'm being reminded of a lot of the UK's recent front bench, just in terms of how he comes across, not necessarily his policies.

• Advertisement

I'd assume Coveney is probably lining himself up for something in Europe or some international body.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,427 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Fianna Fail criticising another party on their housing policy. Now that is funny 😁

This is the same party whose policy on housing led to the bankruptcy of the country and IMF intervention.

Director of Strategy in RTE. With a six figure golden handshake built in for ineptness.

It's like picking between Coke and Pepsi when it comes to FF and FG. They both rot your teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

No chance. Minimum 30 but likley more than that.

Just because a candidate dpesnt contest the seat doesnt mean the party will lose the seat. In fact, they are likley to retain it.

Most people vote for the party, not the candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Ted222

And that is the sad reality. I never thought I’d say it after the Bertie/Biffo era but I might just turn to FF.

At least they look grown up.

I like Harris and I wish him well but I think it’s a triumph of ambition over reality. A feeling of invincibility in the face of a raging storm.

Just like Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭BagofWeed

I hope he can surprise us and be some way successful and forward thinking. Hopefully he has more fight in him than Varadkar to get things done and change what needs to be changed to make the organs of state more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Nah i don't think anyone honestly believes that. The cute hoors know they are in for an absolute hammering in the election and they want no part of it. Harris will be gone in a year he's just this decades Biffo. The only people that will relate to Harris are 35 year old junkies on the boardwalk who've never worked a day in their lives and have lived off the tit of the state.

Harrison Butker is correct

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - thread title adjusted, let's give him a chance to feck up (as Taoiseach) first before we bestow the monikers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭prunudo

I think a lot of people are underestimating Simon Harris. He's no mug and more likable than his predecessor imo. Obviously time will tell, but I wouldn't be writing him off before he's even set foot in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,411 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Giving this further thought. I think Martin should push for Taoiseach and let FG have the tainiste role

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Strange how all the Republican types hate Varadkar when he has unquestionably done far more than any previous leader (or the IRA) to basically separate the north from Britain! Look how much unionists and tories absolutely dispise him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Homelander

Completely agree. Simon Harris is a lot more sincere than Leo, whose opinion would change with the wind.

Simon Harris is also an intelligent guy and comes across well in most interviews, I'm not sure why some people are so hell bent on painting him as a waffler, an idiot, and for the life of me I can't understand the fixation on him dropping out of college.

I also wouldn't see it as fair to nail him over the health portfolio. That sector has been a mess for decades now. No one Minister can solve it, and no-one minister has had a tenure as Health Minister that anyone would call successful.

I'd say he's done a fairly decent job as Minister for Higher Education, true it's a fairly safe portfolio but he's highly visible, very active, and gets a lot of air time and generally gives good interviews about the general issues of the given day.

Now, obviously going from the Higher Education portfolio to Taoiseach is fairly extreme, but I'm not going to make any assumption and write him off before giving him a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Harris is dreadful.

His act is “enthusiastic transition year student after too many coffees”.

Made a huge mess during his stint in Health - officials there disliked how he would always put his personal PR image as the priority.

He is like someone who is immature, stunted growth sort of vibe - the fact he has never had a job outside of politics makes this worse.

He very much sees himself as “down with the kids” because he goes on tiktok and does silly stupid pranks etc.

I have met him (part of a group looking for funding for a local sports club) and he is very very underwhelming and unimpressive in person.

Talks fast but it’s all waffle.

Both physically and the the way he goes on reminds me of Mr Burns - very disconnected…

Genuinely think the country will reject him and FG will regret having this guy as their leader - He is no leader.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

Not true and certainly not this time. You're dreaming buddy. FG will not be in power after GE.Next. 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Martin can't. It's in the program for govt that the FG leader will be taoiseach from Dec 2022 onwards ... and Martin signed up to that.

Martin's useless anyway and should get off the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Is mehole still holding onto his teacher position in the school. Robbing another of a permanent position.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭coffee to go

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Hopefully Trump will squish Harris into the ground when they meet like young kids do to snails. Then we can get a real Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,783 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Not sure if we are getting an Irish version of John Major or Liz Truss. The former was a capable but bland figure before becoming UK PM but actually took to the role well and had unexpected success on the following general election. The latter was seen as a self serving political climber who was already operating above her capability when becoming PM and she duly delivered a showcase of incompetence.

My biggest concern, besides just being a FGer, would be his capability on the international stage. This is vitally important for the top job and his experience to date is almost entirely around domestic policies and issues. I just can’t picture him walking into a summit in Brussels and knowing how to handle himself with experienced leaders. Fortunately in the remaining tenure of this government, Ireland isn’t particularly in the crosshairs for any EU issues afaik

Advertisement