Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2024 worst town/County to live in **Mod Warning in Post #77**

Options
  • 19-03-2024 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50

Mountrath County laois, like it was bad 20 years ago and its been left to rot and decay, clearly no local pride, also full of knackers.

Athy-See above

Tipp Town-Please put a dome on it, even the bulldogs have cans of cider

Dublin city-Has to be the highest and mighty demonstratable dive in Europe.

Mountrath though needs a special scheme like state sponsored like they did with the flats in ballymun and total regeneration needs to take place. I feel for anyone that may have to live there against their will

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Mountmellick isn't much better

Few other dives

Athy

Granard

Boyle

Borrisokane

Castleisland

Monasterevin

Post edited by gym_imposter on

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MickMacca7757

Athy

Portlaoise

Edenderry

North Inner City Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Who will be the first poster to defend Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Grew up around Clontarf and my own personal experience of Dublin was never bad. But while I have nothing against it I do not particularly want to defend it either or to ever move back there. We have been in Maynooth general area for some time now and really never regretted our decision to come here. For us at least we seem to have all the advantages of being in Dublin without any of the downsides of actually being in Dublin. Hell despite not being in Dublin we are still on Dublin Bus routes. So it's best of both worlds and no need to attack or defend it for us personally.

We find it a nice place generally. I can get into the City when I want quite quickly. I can also get out to run and enjoy nature in places like Donadea forest quite quickly.

Never had much trouble here to be honest. With the minor exceptions of an incredibly religious neighbour who we have learned to just be amused by rather than annoyed by. And my girlfriend was on one occasion subject to an attempted sexual assualt/attack/rape in the side streets of Maynooth late at night some years ago.

Other than those we have had essentially no issues, regrets, complaints or gripes. Very happy with our place and our choice and certainly enjoy our proximity to Dublin while enjoying not having to be in Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

We don't need to defend Dublin, everyone with common sense knows 90% of Dublin is nice and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Athy....as others have said above a real hole of a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Exactly.

There is no better place to live in the country than South Dublin, particularly the coastal areas.

Those coastal villages aren't the most expensive areas in the country for no reason.

To associate south coastal Dublin with the North Inner City is ridiculous and is an opinion voiced by people that dont know Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭lmk123

Buttavent and Newmarket Co. Cork, they stand alone, I’d rather be In Beirut

• Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Buttevantonians don't like to see that spelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Longford is hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Athy is bad but I’d say it’s improved a bit over the last few years compared to how bad it used to be.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭65535

I've been in all three and see nothing wrong with them.

I think people put down towns and places that they've been to without knowing the full story about the place.

I travel a lot around Ireland and no town strikes me as bad but then I guess you have to live in the place - and maybe that is what it is - we all have a bias against the town or place we grew up in.

Another view is 'Longford is hell' - well it was back in the '60's and '70's - that's for sure because there was little there but now it is an advancing place surely.

A lot of the towns mentioned also (coincidentally or not) have traffic problems with no bypass - I wonder if that is a cause ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Mountmellick is a place dear to my heart.. because I hate it.

Its known locally as, Mountmisery.

Going there to visit elderly grandparents back in the day. All I remember is dampness, smell of turf smoke, and drunks stumbling from pub to pub.

There was a robbery of the Shaws department store in the town. They robbed everything, even the lino.. not enough? Someone took a dump inside the cash register.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Clearly there is a need when so many bad things are said about it on here.

I'd put coastal Wicklow towns like Greystones in the same tier one category as south east Dublin, almost equally expensive of course

Longford is today in the grip of gangs of travellers

Rathkeale or Carrick-on-Suir

Agreed. But Greystones is basically Dublin Bay. On the DART etc.

Which are generally referring to the north inner city, which is a tiny part of the city and nobody goes there unless they have to.

It may as well be in Northern Ireland as far as most southsiders are concerned.

Its of no interest or impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I could name a few dumps but by a million miles Longford and Edgeworthstown stand out as the worst places ive ever had to spend time in.

I used love in Edgeworthstown for about 9 months. Everywhere is heaven now compared to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You think you used love, but really love used you.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Drogheda without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Longford town vs Rathkeale in a slash hook and machete funeral fight to the death. The resulting funeral and rematch will ensure this entertainment goes on and on in both Kip venues. Extra fights over the Xmas period when extended families come home from UK and America.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Newmarket people are surprisingly warm. Nothing that much wrong with Buttevant, with a bit of TLC it could be quite pretty.

Charleville and Mallow are unattractive dumps. The latter is full of derelict, boarded up buildings.

Tralee is most definitely is going to the dogs. A hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Nenagh

Roscrea

Oughterard

County Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Large tracts of Mayo, away from the coast are boring, bland spots.

Likewise most if not all inland west cork towns are kips you have to drive through to get to the nice places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭gipi

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, sadly. Lived here almost 20 years, and I saw the boom and the bust and the effect it's had on the town.

Half-empty shopping centres, dirty and derelict main street, poor parking which shoves people to the retail parks outside of town, a one-way system that doesn't really work, and nothing but talk about how "city status" (give me a break) will fix everything. The town has gone downhill rapidly since the borough council was abolished in 2014 - all moneys now controlled by Dundalk, who don't give a fiddler's about Drogheda (and that's on the record!).

All I see now are houses, houses, houses, grocery shops and the bus or train to Dublin - a typical dormitory town. Schools are oversubscribed and only going to get worse, hospital is overcrowded, GPs can't be got.

I'll not even mention the hotel situation.....🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Ballinasloe is one grim town. The abandoned psychiatric hospital, long streets of boarded up shops and houses, and just the overall unloved air of the place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement