Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Stream has arrived in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Strange one today

Searched for 'Frasier' using voice search, got the usual results, showing 'old' Frasier on C4 and 'new' Frasier on Paramount.

Selected 'old' Frasier, and it opened up the usual screen, with correct episode details, but with a 'Paramount+' logo at the top.

Selected that episode, and it brought me into the Paramount sign-on.

This previously worked for me without any issues, and would have played the 'old' Frasier using the 4Player.

I was able to come down to the list of seasons and episodes, and select from there, and it worked normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Have had stream for 3 weeks noW

no issues with it, MOTD has been available on Sunday morning fairly consistently

as someone who had Vodafone tv with a now tv sub this is a much easier option, kept the Vodafone BB too

It’s a streaming box with the option for sky tv, and it does that very well

Is it possible to get into the VM player on Sky Stream? I can't find their recent drama "The Head on Him" through the normal search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I have had stream for the same length of time. I don't like it at all - primarily as I want to see MOTD on a Saturday night after I get home. I can't do that - same with a match I had "recorded" last week. Couldn't see that either. I used to record a couple of soaps and it was easy to find them and watch them back. It's not easy anymore to find the episode you want. I'm thinking of going back to Virgin.

I don't think so as I was looking for the VM player last week and it's not there.

• Advertisement

ya get that, but it's not a record function,

Its a playlist, so if its a sky program great it'll be available on replay. If its not sky (such as MOTD) they are reliant on the service to add it to their service and make it available for Ireland.

Virgin(i;m fairly sure) are the same now for new customers, its a streaming box with the same limitations

Definitely a backward step and not what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

I have to say I’m put off subscribing for Sky Stream by the phenomenally irritating TV Ad currently running for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Sky stream is also **** which is off putting 😄

It’s really not though

For a streaming box it’s perfect

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

@Nigzcurran posts are expected to add more to the discussion that that. Further posts of that nature will be regarded as trolling and treated as such.

Sorry just offering my opinion as previously stated in this thread as I had sky stream and sky q and found them both terrible. Not trying to offend anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It really is. If you're comparing it with Sky Q, then it's obviously not in the same league, but Sky Q has plenty of drawbacks too.

Sky Stream is absolutely light years ahead of Eir TV and based on what I've seen of Vodafone's new box, it's not at the races either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Apart from cost, what drawbacks does SkyQ have ?

You need a dish, your box has to be wired to the dish, the box is pretty chunky.

For me, it was needing to be wired up and thus limiting where you can place your TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Just back to using a dodgy stick for now. Got the whole 4k pack with sky stream and had constant issues with the multiroom boxes losing connection and having to be reset. The UI was terrible to try navigate and the lack of a proper functioning catch up option was the killer. Sky then told me a Q subscription would solve all my problems so I paid for that to be installed again with the 4k multiroom and that was just as bad as the stream with near identical issues. To make matters worse I then had to lodge 2 complaints to get it removed as they incorrectly told me there was no cooling off period and tried billing me cancellation charges. I don't see any other options on the market so am stuck with the IPTV for now. Sky wasn't suitable for my needs but I understand it's perfect for other people's

One pucking puck seemed to reset tonight and I had to reconnect to the broadband. Not a huge issue in itself, but to reenter my strong 16 character password, I had to choose each character from a huge wheel, instead of the usual on screen keyboard.

Took me feckin ages.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've to talk to Sky on behalf of a friend shortly.

They have DSL BB (slow speeds though) and Sky through a satellite dish. It's expensive - about €110 p/m and doesn't include Sports or Movies.

It seems Fibre BB is available now in the area, so going to Sky Stream with fast BB speed looks like a no brainer. €50 p/m.

The only problem I can see is that Sky Stream is for new customers only. I wonder will they play ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Butson

That TV ad has to be turning people off!

• Advertisement

If the price they will be paying for stream is similar to what they are already paying for Q I don't see any reason sky wouldn't be happy to switch them over

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Butson

Makes sense from Sky's point of view to push this, they don't have to pay any engineers then.

But when you are relying on the RTE player to do its job, licensing rights from the likes of Virgin and BBC which means not all content is available on catch up, then it's not going to work for a lot of people without the recording function. Lots of ads on Catch Up players too, which will force people to pay the ad skipping fee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Vodafone forced me into taking their stream box when renewing my contract and it's god awful, out of contract in October this year, is Sky stream a better alternative? Can't get Sky Q where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

For me sky stream has been fairly good for the price it is. If you can get over the negatives (playlist is not as reliable as dvr, almost all of bbc will not be available on playlist, even some of other channels us erratic on it) and they are outweighed by positives (broadband and tv quality is good, all of the sky tv is available, different streaming apps like Netflix, Paramount, Disbcovrry is provided as part of package, if u gave movies u get 2 Vue cinema tkts a month, sky customer service is great compared to others) then it is worth it. I don’t have multi room but so far I’ve had no issues apart from not being able to watch some of the programs I used to record before.

Btw I hadn’t noticed it before but you can tune in Saorview channels on the Stream box.

Not sure what value this adds but the option is there

That shouldn’t be possible, there’s no DTT tuner in the Sky Stream puck?

Sky Glass does have one mind.

There must have been a software update to enable it, because tonight was the first time I saw the aerial icon, but I 100% have all the Saorview channels tuned in on my Sky Stream box right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

How do you tune in / access the channels? Any pictures?

Hmm, to correct my earlier post apparently it does and always had a DTT tuner, and an aerial input on the rear, to meet regulatory requirements in Italy.

Apparently it’s been switched off until now.

• Advertisement

Yeah if you’re in the home page and you go down to “apps and inputs”, you’ll see an aerial icon.

Advertisement