Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruxism

Options
  • 04-02-2021 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

Hi, the last few months I've had really bad bruxism and its causing my jaw to hurt & click, ive tried everything to ease it but my jaw feels constantly clenched, especially when im distracted, its like I have to really concentrate to keep it relaxed.
    I dont see any point in paying for a mouth guard, it will protect my teeth but wont do anything for the jaw clenching and I wont be able to sleep with a guard in.
    Ive heard of botox for bruxism as a treatment to relax the muscles, just wondering if anyone has had this or knows about? Is it worth doing?
    Or can anyone recommend any other treatments?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,157 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Plenty of information on the use of botox for bruxism. Doesnt seem to be cheap and you would need to have it done regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭lucalux

Hey, I've been considering it myself, haven't gotten it done yet, but it's on a list of possible treatments I'm to explore a bit more this year.

It's effective, but as above, not terribly long-lasting for the cost, so that's something to consider.

I'd recommend finding a dentist you trust if you can, and discussing it with them. Dentists/endodontists/oral and maxfax surgeons and ENT's are the best people to administer botox, they're the only ones I'd trust.

In the meantime though, while you're considering your options, I'm going to tell you the boring advice I was given...:o

Work on your stress however you can. (i know, i know, it's that again!)

Check the basics whether it's meditation, exercise, diet, your sleep pattern. Reducing your caffeine intake maybe.
    Changing a mattress can help, or getting orthopedic pillows, (night-time bruxism can be a symptom of restless sleep or insufficient rest)

Other than that, physio, acupuncture, or pilates can work on the muscles that aren't working so hard, as bruxism can be from overactive/underactive muscles in your whole body, not just the jaw or neck.

*(I would say massage too, but Covid)*

Working on your posture in general, (esp if working from home right now) can help too, strength and conditioning for muscles that will enable the overactive muscles to do 'less work' ( I know you don't need them working overtime, but they are, hence the clenching). Ask a physio for advice if you know any, they'll know more of the details than me

Supplements that I've had some relief with include CBD (but expensive for the higher strengths) and Magnesium, which is great for tense muscles and tiredness.

Basically I'd take a very broad view on it before deciding botox is the only fix, if you get me.
    Keep us updated on here maybe, if you go ahead with it? I'd be interested to know how it works out for people.

Hope something there makes sense, and I really do feel your pain. It's a hugely distracting pain in the... ....neck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

Bumping this thread to see if anyone here actually went ahead with the Botox treatment for teeth grinding ?

by chance I mentioned the teeth grinding ( and associated issues ) to a dermatologist I was attending, and they suggested Botox as a treatment. They also can do the injections …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I didnt go for the botox in the end, I researched it and found that masseter botox causes laxity in the muscle which can lead to jowling. Ive been learning facial massage and face yoga and its been a huge help when done regularly.

Advertisement