Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW X1

Options
  • 31-03-2022 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

I took a the plunge & went hybrid! Can someone tell me if this is normal, when fully charged (plug in) it only shows 38km range. When it’s in petrol mode it seems to use a lot ? Also, does the warm up function use battery or petrol? Salesman said it was best to use this on cold mornings but I’m beginning to wonder!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

I have a 2021 BMW Hybrid. I get over 50km in electric only mode. I think it is recommended to start pre heating the cabin when it is plugged in as it uses the battery.

It depend on the way you drive the car and battery is better in warmer weather.

Good luck with the hybrid and a great choice IMO.

Post edited by PaulJoseph22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

50 k is great! I’m getting 38k! Maybe it will charge better when I get the home charger in?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Charging at home or at a public charger won't make any difference to the range

Judge it on the actual KM you get, not what the expected range states on the virtual dash.

The weather, the way you drive the car etc, will make a difference.

Post edited by PaulJoseph22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Statman55

Hi just got A 2024 X1 u11 25E I have A wall charger at home The car says it charging At 6 amp can I increase this to sleep up The charging any help very appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Hi

I got a BMW X1 Hybrid and I've an issue with the charging.

If I plug it in at home and set it to charge later (2am to 6am) it will sometimes work and sometimes won't work.

I have noticed if I plug it in in the afternoon the status in the app says Planned.

Then (sometimes) before 2am it might change to Not Charging.

I will wake up to an uncharged car.

When the battery is under 18% (or so) and I tell it to charge later, it will in fact charge straight away until it gets to 18%, then it'll charge later.

I've noticed that more often than not when it does that (charge straight away and then say Planned) that it will sometimes fail to charge.

We had the car back in the garage but it charges under every condition (they had it for a week)

Would it be something in my house?

Anyone had similar experience?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

what charge point do you have? Is it on latest firmware? Maybe ask their support channel.

It might be a software compatibility issue between the car and your charge point, which the garage doesn’t see because they have a different charge point.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭crl84

Remove any schedules on the car/car app.

Only set the schedule on the charger.

It's a Vorsprung "dumb" charger. No software that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Have you a granny charger you can try? Not suggesting you use this regularly, but might eliminate either the car or the charger from the fault diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Goose81

There is no reason not to use a granny charger permanently, that car will fully charge on a granny charger in 4 hours.

As you suggested this should be the first option to check whether it's the charger unit at fault

Thanks to you both.

I did once try the granny charger and it worked (in the situation where it was failing with the other charger ie battery depleted and charge set to planned)

I think you're both right though.

They only thing is - I dont have an outside outlet for the granny charger (can be easily installed) and it was a waste of money putting in the car charger :)

But if its a solution then ….

Before you do anything would it be an idea to change the BMW settings in the app to charge immediately and when you get home plug it in during the day so you can see is it still charging to full.

Also is it possible to take a screenshot of your app settings, this sounds like an app problem tbh.

If the car charger was bad then rcbo in the fuse box would trip so it's still getting power

I've never had a problem with it when its set to "Charge Immediately"

The only problem has been when its set to Planned then it will either start or not.

It has never started and then been interrupted.

Have you uninstalled the app and reinstalled it? It has to be a problem with the app and not the charger

It sounds like the app may not be pushing the setting to the car properly. I would also play around with disabling WiFi on the phone and just using mobile data.

Has it ever worked for you?

Yes reinstalled the app a few times.

Same issue if I use the in car software or the app.

Part of me thinks there might be power surges knocking it from the Planned to Not Charging state.

Very hard to diagnose.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

A couple of things you can do to narrow it down. The first is to use the granny charger in the same way you use the wallbox and see if it works ok or not. So put it on the planned charge and leave it. Do it for a few nights until you're sure that it's doing the same thing or working fine.

The second thing is to try planning a charge for the daytime when you're there to monitor it. Maybe at the weekend. Again, it might take a few attempts to get the error to repeat. But you can do this in the one day by just changing the time for the planned charge. Say have one for nine or ten in the morning, if it works, leave it working for an hour or so and then stop it and schedule for say twelve. Etc.

At the basic level you're looking for some sort of error report from the car (or the wallbox if it has that facility). You can also see if there's a voltage drop in the house at the same time as the charge dropped out.

Advertisement