Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Could, But they didn't! Only 20,000 TV sets in 1959, mostly in Dublin so that influence was minimal. Most people in Ireland didn't get BBC TV not to talk of Channel 4 in the 60s and 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I think the Rose of Tralee might get upset if Tubridy was meeting an old flame in Co. London.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭jmcc

Born in Cork from her Wikipedia bio.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭csirl

I disagree. I lived thru the 70s and 80s. Everyone watched British TV. Cable tv was the norm in urban areas. RTE was regarded as amateur hour stuff in comparison to BBC and ITV/Ch4. By the time we got to the early 80s, we had 'satellite channels' via cable including MTV, Sky (when it was still Dutch owned) etc. In fact Ireland had the highest % of viewers with access to these channels than anywhere else in Europe as UK and mainland Europe were still very much reliant on terrestrial TV, whereas cable was the norm in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭yagan

When you say urban, are we talking about east coast?

I ask because reception was very patchy inland, we were west of the black stairs mountains and it was mostly static we got, whereas the cousins in Wexford had good reception.

I think the belief that the UK channels were in most homes in the 80s is perhaps a very easy coast centric view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭csirl

Reception was irrelevant as terrestrial TV was not the norm. Dublin was cabled from 60s onwards. Originally there were local cable schemes in each part if the city, but they were consolidated into "Cablelink" after a few years. When my household first got it, the cable came from a dish/aerial thing on a local tall building. It was then replaced by "Cablelink". The Cablelink signal came from some sort of dish on the top of one of the Ballymun flats. Houses were cabled.

In smaller towns around the country they had "deflector" schemes. Some sort of dish or large aerial on the top of a mountain and the signal "re-broadcasted" to homes which had a particular type of aerial that was provided by the deflector company.

Im not technical , so the above are laymans descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭yagan

Thanks for that clarification. We had none of that growing up. Tall aerials was the most common way of receiving signal around me, very few had a good signal. If I remember correctly damp weather meant good reception, good dry weather meant static.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Also known as "The pipe". I remember when Sky came on and another channel called Super channel. It went from Cablelink to NTL to Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭RoTelly

From the 1970s (even the 1960s) Dublin was a hodge podge of cable companies providing access to BBC 1, 2, UTV and in some cases also HTV (Channel 4 starts broadcasting in 1982). This hodge podge includes RTÉ's RTÉ Relays. In the 1980s many would merge with their counterparts in Galway and Waterford to make up Cablelink, RTÉ and Rodgers of Canada owned this company initally until Rodgers discovered that the government weren't going to let Cablelink provide Telephony services due to the Telecom Éireann Monopoly. Rodgers would sell to Telecom Éireann and before the IPO of Eircom they would ask to sell their 75% of Cablelink, RTÉ would then be asked to sell their 25% share of Cablelink, earning them 300m from the sale to NTL.

NTL would later merge with Chorus becoming Chorus NTL and later rebrand as UPC and now known as Virgin Media.

Both BBC2 and C4 would have been consider the more "progressive" channels, both ITV and BBC would be regarded as move "conservative" in their output, both being far more popular than either BBC2 or C4.

MMDS and Deflectors all had a role in this in rural areas also.

RTÉ2 would carry many of the UK programmes also, though as I say I was surprised they didn't take EastEnders and Brookside on their arrival in the 1980s.

In other news

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

1986 or 1987, Sky and Music Box / Childrens Channel. Then the latter was replaced with Super Channel in 1988. MTV came a bit later.

I remember being slightly horrified when visiting a relative's house in Dublin approx 1980 that they didn't have cable TV

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It doesn't have to be received all over the country to have an influence, if it was influencing people in Dublin, they were writing in newspapers, writing books etc it was influencing the culture all over the country indirectly. It was indirectly affecting the TV RTE produced also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Oliver Callan this morning joking about RTE floats in parades with buckets of flip flops and Marty Party music.

I was thinking more along the lines of figures like former DG Dee, Tubridy etc. They'd be laughing their heads off hysterically and giving the two fingers to all the public as they cruise along. The latter of course would have rotten fruit and crap to throw at them! What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why are we paying the higher ups in there when they need someone else to tell them how to do their job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I remember back in the early noughties, maybe 2001 I saw Brendan O'Connor driving a few fair city wannabees around in an 1960's MG convertible down near Heuston Station. I think it was St. Patricks Day so most of An Lar was closed off. They were trying to drive down the South Quays in the wrong direction. A cop directed them somewhere else.The one that played Niamh in FC was in the front passenger seat looking around with a big sh!t eating "Look at me" expression on her face.Next think I heard someone shout "WAAAANKER!". That was more entertaining than anything RTE produced.

This would get the ratings, different canteen inmate guest presenter every week...

Life ain't always empty.

The very same people who tell us that we should pay the TV license for public service broadcasting who are the least likely to watch anything on RTÉ.

______

Yesterday

You have to pay good money to attract people who's job it is to get advice from others!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

They have gone quiet on the number of TV licence renewals.

My theory is, they want to keep a lid on evasions, until the new funding model involving Revenue is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well I'm more 60s and 70s. RTE was regarded by many as the source of liberal nonsense by many at the time..

• Advertisement

Depends on where one sat on the political spectrum I suppose...

The mere rumour that lesbian ex-nuns were going to appear on TLLS had them whipping out their rosary beads and hightailing it to Donnybrook for a good aul' vigil.

25 years ago I lived (in a house share) not far from Montrose, the area was far from the radical liberal enclave it was often depicted as. That part of Clonskeagh was like a southern US dry county, no pubs! Mount Merrion [*] (just up the road) is/was pretty conservative - back then it was still populated by sons of the soil who went up to the big smoke in the 1950s with a cardboard suitcase held together with twine and worked their way up to high positions in the public service and semi-states. Fair play to 'em I suppose (dey tuk ur jobs) but just because they were living slap bang in Montrosia didn't mean they fit the cliche. A ballot box-by-box analysis would show this but that's getting in too deep even for most political correspondents.

This rather illiberal candidate lived just off the same road as me at the time and actually got elected onto the council in the second half of the 90s. Went on to become one of the main spokespersons for Coir:

In Dun Laoghaire in 1997 this guy got 2000 votes in a general election. Way off being elected, but still a lot:

[*] This is where the Josepha Madigan no-priest-turned-up-for-mass "scandal" occurred. Anywhere else in Dublin they'd be wondering what non-OAPs were doing there in the first place.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No one should ever have to pay a tv license again until Dee Forbes and her ridiculously stupid look-at-me glasses are forced to explain their incompetence/fraud/corruption/mismanagment etc etc etc etc etc etc.

There isn't a person in the country who believes her medically unfit nonsense. Doctor who signed that should be struck off as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Karppi

I know it’s not exactly the same, but where I worked they had a Company Doctor, and in the case of an employee being on long term sick, the employee could be referred to the Co Dr for an assessment of their fitness to work. It didn’t matter if they had a sick cert and, of course, it wasn’t a process someone who had a terminal illness or serious accident would have to go through. It was very effective in dealing with those who needed to be dealt with. Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The problem is that she is resigned/retired and therefore doesn't need to attend a company medical assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Cablelink was known as "The Pipe" back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Caquas

You can't answer my question so you respond with abuse.

You are wasting time denying two obvious facts - RTÉ was a force for social liberalism over the past 60 years and that Ireland used to be an outlier in Europe on social issues.

Both points were obvious to everyone at the time, especially the conservatives. If change didn't come as quickly as you would like, it is nonsense to blame RTÉ.

And don't keep shifting the goal posts! First you went back to the 60s and early 70s for the Mediterranean dictators. Now you try the pre-1989 Communist States as if they can be compared to Ireland. If it makes you happy, I will agree that there was a European country which was as conservative as Ireland used to be on social issues- Malta. The exception that proves the rule!

To date, no proposal from RTÉ has been received and when it is forthcoming, the merits of the proposal will be assessed, as outlined above, prior to any decision being made. 

Answered on Feb 8th.

Interesting she effectively gives the go ahead in that answer: -

As part of its Strategic Vision, which was published in November last year, RTÉ has proposed ceasing the broadcast of RTÉ One+1 and RTÉ2+1 by 2028. RTÉ state that their investment in digital services will allow the content on these services to be available more widely through on-demand services and that closing the plus one channels will allow them to reduce the cost of traditional broadcast distribution and prioritise delivery of live and on-demand content through digital platforms.

You'd wonder why the minister would give an explanatory note on the reasons for dropping these services. Also there is no savings if RTÉ do not replace the +1's with commercial alternatives, cost of those broadcasts get subsumed into the other services on Saorview.

And as I read it she gives no explanation for the removal of the digital stations.

Another PQ to the minister where she seems not to answer

However, as details on the number of inspections is an operational matter for An Post, my Department does not hold figures on the number of inspections undertaken by An Post.

1. she should have answered An Post does not come under the Remit of the Department of Media
    2. she should have then suggested the PQ go to the relevant minster (Eamon Ryan)
    3. she could have got her Civil Servants to call An Post for the information.

______

Yesterday

Ray D'Arcy's gets a new contract, Wilie O'Reilly thinks it is a great move!

Ex-Today FM boss Willie O’Reilly told The Irish Sun: “Ray has a very good track record. If RTE put someone new and untested in there, they could lose 20 per cent of their audience in three months. Ray has proven to constantly deliver big audiences. People have grown up with Ray and have an ingrained habit of listening to him in the afternoon.”

Willie hailed the deal as a “clever move” by RTE bosses.

Willie told us: “When you have a radio schedule, you don’t want to change too many things.

“RTE Radio One’s schedule had a seismic change with the departure of Ryan Tubridy. Oliver Callan has gotten off to a good start and is great at 9am but somewhat untested. If I was in RTE I wouldn’t want to risk having two new presenters.”

This is the same Willie O'Reilly who potential left RTÉ on an exit package!

______

Yesterday

Advertisement