Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we regulate the internet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Attempts so far to bring any sort of control on the type of content delivered to children online have been terribly weak.

I think a lot of older people especially are just clueless to the harm being done. Improved speeds and bandwidth, targeting tech, smart phones ubiquity etc have really changed the landscape over the last 10 years or so. Thankfully, as the evidence get stronger and stronger and people are becoming more aware, it does seem far more people are demanding something be done.

I've proposed a quite severe measure here, but I think something with that sort of impact is required.

What might be a better starting point would be for the state or EU to work with ISPs to provide a restricted safe version alongside the full version. I think the vast majority of parents and public spaces would chose the safe version. For those that don't I think the type of social and legal pressures we already have would push those reluctant towards a safer version. Sadly there'll always be extreme parents who'll provide harmful content to children but from a public health approach I think this would be a great start.

Some posters have pointed to articles on China, Iran etc finding flaws in their systems but these are actually referring to different approaches. The measure I'm suggesting to be used is quite difficult to circumvent.

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/xmdm5p/iranian_here_responding_to_the_signal_post/

It looks promising that a state, or the EU, could use something along these lines to build a limited child safe version of the internet, providing access to netflix, approved social media sites, educational resources, online banking, school and work logins etc. This functionality would still provide enough functionality for most needs of other family members.

I couldn't bring myself to read beyond the introductory section of the report behind this news article.

I can't think of any other example where this kind of harm would be allowed happen to children and society would generally react in such a blasé manner. I don't think banning smart phones in schools goes nearly far enough but I can' believe our government rejected even these proposals. I do think the tide is starting to turn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Don't a lot of phone networks have adult content switched off by default actually? (and you've to contact them proving you're 18+ to get the restriction lifted?)

That's a fairly straightforward solution on a phone by phone basis. Just make it blanked switched off for all phone networks and you need contact them to have adult contact activated. (or perhaps it could be switched on at point of purchase if you're over 18)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭aidanodr

The OP should surely have said - Should we regulate SOCIAL MEDIA as distinct from the internet? Soc media needs the internet so it can function. I think most issues with "the internet" are in fact with a subset of the internet called SOCIAL MEDIA?

Also drags in the Q - should kids under a certain age have a smartphone pretty much unpoliced? Especially when now you could provide a kid with a regular phone that just does texts and calls for contact purposes? Now then, I have opened up another can of worms :D

With respect to social media - Yes that needs far more regulation and brought in under same rules that is applied to other media

Master of the Universe

I (begrudgingly) opened a Facebook account again just to access some niche groups and couldn't believe the way some of the folks were talking to each other and the content being posted. It's quite jarring when you're away from it for a few years and spend most of your time on sites like boards. Definitely needs more moderation/content control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

deleted

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

I think the problem with social media, is that I'm not sure moderation and content control can ever fit in the business model.

The operating principle is essentially to have a huge number of users, each of whom will cost them very little to provide a service for.

The advertising they use then will cover that cost plus bring in a little bit more. It becomes very profitable at gigantic scale.

I just can't see how it can be profitable if they have to pay enough moderators. Advertising just won't cover that cost. They keep promising AI and automated solutions but they just don't work well enough. In the meantime the rest of the world is left dealing with the harm their doing.

I think it has to happen very soon that they're made legally accountable for that harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭aidanodr

I run a large Face book Group ( cork in the 80s ) with 16,000 members now. Started it in 2014. Up to maybe 2 years ago it was easy enough and straight forward to manage and moderate it. Then Facebook completely changed the way this is done for owners, favouring Visitors who can now comment without joining OR perspective members sort of allowed join but you can only allow / disallow there ability to join AFTER they make there first comment.

Some were saying as a Group admin / creator and with you having made all the effort to build the group - that you were now getting more power over facebook than facebook themselves so they tried to even the pitch and introduce such things as above.

They are also using AI now to "help" you moderate.

Before all of this when you had better control as admin groups were generally choosen to be public, but now post New Rulz from Facebook many are gone CLOSED in order to have better control re visitor access etc. Going closed can have an impact on membership numbers via the way FB handle this

"A Group can be more private than a Page because the creator has the option to make it closed. When a group is closed, only those invited to the Group can see the content and information shared within it.

all information is shared only with those within the group once it's made closed. Others will still be able to see that the group exists, but they won't be able to see its members or any posts or information within the closed Group unless they are invited."

Great in principle and I wasn't aware of this, but I'd imagine a VPN gets around it very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's incredibly naive to assume that any system designed to filter Internet content won't be bypassed. They all are.

• Advertisement

With a whitelisting system you essentially can't connect with anything other than what's approved.

There are workarounds but none that could ever be widely available.

There are other challenges but security wise it's very strong.

The only other option I'd see is to make big-tech legally liable. I'd see a risk that this would in effect become more restrictive than a two-tier approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭jmcc

I'll be diplomatic about this while removing the profanities: What do you know about Technology, the Internet and Security?

Your whitelisting "idea" is rubbish.

Your whitelisting "idea" is fundamentally insecure.

You couldn't quantify the number of websites that would have to be whitelisted and didn't even have a clue about the number of websites on the Internet. The 100K websites seems to be an Anglo-Irish Bank number.

You simply haven't a clue about the difficulties of creating and maintaining such a list and then getting people to use it.

Coming up with a compromise for it isn't something like hacking Sky. Even that took less than ten seconds. It took longer to write down the details of that hack than it did to formulate it. Your whitelisting idea is broken to such an extent that it doesn't need to be compromised. A child could see the obvious flaws with your scheme and bypass it.

You don't write like someone with a STEM background and don't display any knowledge or understanding of the issues of whitelists, blacklists, the Internet, and Technology in general. As for Security, your whitelist "idea" would make things much more unsafe for children because it would create a desire to bypass your nanny-state restrictions.

Nobody on this thread with a clue about reality has agreed with your whitelist "idea". To people who work with Technology and the Intenet, words like "security", "algorithms" and "Internet" aren't buzzwords for some click and drool merchant "technology journalist" to use like they have a clue (they generally don't). They have real meanings and large areas of study supporting them. Idiocy like your whitelist, much like GDPR, would make the Internet more unsafe for everyone. And Big-Tech already operates in a very complex legal framework and it has clearly defined liabilities such as those in the Digital Services Act.

Regards...jmcc

Thanks jmcc

Maybe you might try contribute something instead and tell me what you think it's fundamentally insecure?

It looks to me that your stuck on this idea of quantifying the number of websites on the internet. Why would this idea need to do that? It's an allow list!

I gave an estimate figure on how many sites would need to be whitelisted of 100k to allow for basic internet functionality. That's all this has to be. I think your trying to compare it to something that it's not.

Master of the Universe

I get the impression jmcc would come from the same standpoint as myself in that it's up to parents to police their children's internet usage (and it's not up to the rest of the world to do it for them).

Limiting websites people have access to as ISP level won't stop the damage you are concerned about if you still allow children access to social media. So I don't really get what that achieves.

Good idea: Teaching kids about the dangers of drugs.

Bad idea: Teaching kids about the dangers of drugs, while doing nothing about the candy flavoured ketamine in school vending machines.

Having a two tiered internet would allow for social media sites which don't ensure child safety to be switched off. In practice I would imagine they could offer a limited version with some functionality disabled on the child friendly tier.

Except in the drugs case, prohibition is largely ineffective.

So let's say you allow a 100k websites. Each site can have potentially millions of pages. On top of that, they often have dynamic content. Some have private messaging functionality, most support video and not all are necessarily visible to all users. Already even within that grouping of pages, you have plenty of ways for dodgy content that can make it up. You can say that it can be policed but drug or alcohol prohibition hasn't worked so why should this. Make something harder to access, drives it underground.

This is also ignoring that half the Internet pulls content from multiple sources that are often dynamic.

But sure, you'll just say it'll work.

I'd agree prohibition is ineffective for adults when it comes to drugs. I'd also say most proponents of decriminalisation would advocate for strict controls around supply to children.

Thank you for bringing some actual discussion around the practicalities of implementing something like this. I'm not adamant that it would work, but it does appear that it would be resistant to vpn bypassing.

I don't think the amount of pages within a site would be an issue, once they are served from the same IP, or at least routed through the same IP.

What would be far more difficult would be the dynamic content, especially links and media. Most websites now will use CDNs to host images etc and these would be shared between desirable and undesirable sites. I think that's where this would only be possible through an entity like the EU, so that sites would be incentivised to tailor content, providing fallback for image sources etc.

You'd have to prevent any kind of user content which is basically what the Internet has been since year one. So nope, it's not achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Im against any sort of simplistic blame-the-parents responses but this one issue is different, no amount of tech can fix this as a workaround will always be found.

Therefore it needs a combination of making it as legally difficult as possible for someone under 15 to have a smartphone along with compulsory parenting courses for parents who buy or facilitate access to smartphones, smartphones for those under 15 should be banned on school grounds as well.

It is not a perfect solution but it would make having a smartphone more difficult for early teens and offer cultural and moral support to parents.

Post edited by mariaalice on

It is a fundamentally insecure idea because most people have an inbuilt desire to bypass limitations. Children also have this need to explore to a greater level than adults. Therefore it is better to teach children the difference between right and wrong rather than simply saying, as you seem to be, this is wrong because you said so.

Your 100K figure is not based on any data or evidence. You don't understand the number of websites on the Internet. You don't understand how people use websites. Above all you don't understand that over 5 Million gTLD (.COM/NET/ORG etc) domain names are deleted each month and approximately 5.66 Million more are registered in the gTLDs. With .COM, approximately 30% of these new sites will have developed websites. That's at a global level. There are also the country code domain names like .ie or .uk and they also have large numbers of new and deleted domain names each month. This is the reality of the Internet. It is not some unchanging monolith where websites are created and operate for the rest of time. This year's webscape is different to last year's webscape and much different to the webscape of ten years ago.

Someone has to create this whitelist of websites, select and approve websites and deleted websites that are no longer valid. People don't scale well horizontally so more than one person might be required to do this effectively. Then there's dealing with complaints from website owners that your whitelist has excluded.

Creating and maintaining a 100K list of websites even for one country is a difficult task because websites and their domain names get deleted and new domain names and websites appear every day. Without maintaining it, the list would become stale. Then there is the problem of compromised websites. What may have been a clean website when added to your list could get compromised and used to drop malware on a visitor's computer via their browser or worse. That is another thing that you'd have to continually check.

If the whitelist is published the domain name of every website on that list will be tracked to see if it is deleted. If a domain name on your whitelist is deleted then it will be reregistered in milliseconds and either put on sale or used to serve pay per click advertising to a guaranteed audience. And that's if the new registrant has relatively good intentions. A registrant with bad intentions, and there are lots of them, will weaponise it for malware delivery or phishing. Did you know about this?

That 100K whitelist might make sense to you but you don't know how many people will use this whitelist and whether all the websites they commonly use will be included. There are also countries outside of Ireland so each country will need its own whitelist for your censorship model, and it is a censorship model, to be effective. It is also goes against freedom of expression That's important. Take a look at Article 10 in the legislation below:

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/act/25/schedule/3/enacted/en/html

Your estimate is based on nothing! No research. No data. Nothing! There's an idea called Hitchens' Razor that states that what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. It applies to your whitelist.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This, teacheing the difference between right and wrong, who gets to decide what is right or wrong? will parents be able to decide based on their own values what is right and wrong? or would there be some helpful institution that might guide them?

You do not seem to have a clue about how websites are hosted. Approximately 200 million gTLD websites are hosted on 10 million IP addresses. Shared webhosting is the commonest form of hosting on the Internet. There can be hundreds or even thousands of websites on a single Internet-facing IP address.

Services like Cloudflare and others host millions of websites and they serve content via different IP addresses depending on the location of the user. Look at the mess the EU made of the .EU ccTLD. Look at the Cookie Law and the insanity of GDPR. Then look at NIS2 and its lack of a good definition of critical infrastructure. Do you think that these people would do a good job on your whitelist idea?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I'm of the mad opinion that parents should parent, and I'm not sure how it's possible to be a parent in 2024 and not understand that the internet presents myriad dangers to children. There are lots of tools available to parents to control their children's access to the internet, from not giving them devices in the first place to using things like Apple's Screen Time app to closely monitor and restrict what apps children can download, what sites they can visit, and how much time per day they can spend on certain apps or on a certain device. That's before you instate rules like no devices allowed anywhere but the family room in view of parents, no devices in school, no devices at the dinner table, etc.

As for this gem:

I can't find the article now but I saw a report recently on how sexual assaults are now far more prevalent in colleges, linking the phenomenon to many kids coming out of their teenage years with no understanding of consent or sexuality. How do you protect your kids from that?

You protect your kids from that by having frequent, age-appropriate conversations with them about consent and sexuality. Like every other issue. You don't just let them loose on the internet or send them out into the world and hope they learn it all by osmosis.

Maybe some sort of awareness campaign about the dangers of the internet for children is in order, but hobbling the country and its citizens in an increasingly globalised world by turning Ireland into a tourist spot for people who want to visit 1997 is not the answer.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Master of the Universe

You're comparing apples and oranges though, the internet is not drugs.

Good idea: Teaching kids about the dangers of the internet, monitoring their internet usage and disabling adult content in your home / on their smart phone. (which I mentioned above, is probably disabled by default anyway)

Bad idea: disabling most of the internet for adults all over the world because you can't do the above.

'Disabling social media sites which don't ensure child safety' to your standard would mean there would be no Facebook. As much as I dislike Facebook, it's 'the internet' to a lot of people. Disabling it for everyone is as bad as Chinese censorship. Actually what you are proposing is worse, as I believe China only block 8000 websites. You were proposing we block 1.299 billion.

I'm only proposing we block those sites for children though.

Not at all comparable tbf.

That's not true, you're expecting people to go to an Internet cafe to get full access to the Internet. That also opens up plenty of security and privacy concerns. You have fixated on a specific idea that you like. Every criticism, you just declare it as a non issue. It's a far more totalitarian idea than China and has more in common with North Korea's intranet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Unless you can 'police' all the friends of your childrens' internet as well, then you're probably not really 'policing' anything. Also, controversial I'm sure, but it's not just children that are being harmed. Mass volumes of the global population are being controlled and manipulated by a few tech companies that promote what is profitable for them to the detriment of society as a whole.

A ChildNet could theoretically be provided with global cooperation as an open source project, but it would require international political will investing in technology, robust sandboxing in dedicated servers and pathways and huge investment in cybersecurity. This is why it has t been done so far. The funding necessary would be enormous, and no way of recouping with adverts in the children’s internet, as that would go against the principles of what a ChildNet should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

I am very liberal when it comes to adults. I'm not trying to take away peoples access to the internet, any adult would be free to visit and licensed premises and see what they want.

You are trying to take away their access. You're trying to restrict what people can/cannot view, in private, in the comfort of their own home. That is not a liberal ideology in the slightest, it is the exact opposite. It is authoritarian and practically fascist to enact such a policy. Porn jokes aside, there is a reason why people might need to look up sites that the 'powers that be' don't want them viewing. Plus, we haven't even touched on that fact that you're forcing people to leave a paper trail.........vulnerable folks who don't want their parent/guardian/significant other querying why they were in a state-sanctioned internet cafe can end up in hot water if such a charge ends up appearing on your debit card bill, for example.

I'm sure things would still be post on social media that shouldn't. If a site didn't react and take down the offensive content immediately, then they would be blocked.

What's stopping this from happening now, as in today? What's stopping Facebook/Twitter etc. from taking down 'offensive' content immediately? Why do you need to blacklist 99% of the internet for this to happen?

In practice, and because the EU is such a large market, I'd expect these social media sites would quickly produce a sanitized version for home audiences.

Again, the EU is such a large market at the moment, why don't they already do this?

Your entire argument is rubbish, it's built on a foundation of sand and your reasoning is completely unrelated to the actions you're proposing. You're trying to fix a problem by proposing a solution that a) doesn't fix the problem b) is completely over the top and b) creates a million and one other problems in the process. It is a badly thought out, ineffective, intrusive, and quite frankly ridiculous suggestion.

Advertisement