Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How far does an EV really go? On a cold horrible day in winter - several current EVs tested

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Just curious looked up the stats about annual mileage of EVs Vs ICE it seems they are more or less the same.

There's a few studies and they all say the same thing more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Haha, you got me there! One of my biggest flaws on boards is that I often post immediately and only after that read what I just posted. In this case on reflection I thought 1000km in a day in Ireland in a private car is pretty absurd. In my 30 years of driving here, I don't think i have ever even done 800km. Also on paper both cars could do 1000km with just one stop for charging, but in real life that might be pushing it for one of them or both. Hence my ninja edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭josip

Depends. In France/Croatia I could drive for 4 hours and only need to stop for border/bladder. Northern Italy/UK I start to feel tired after 3. Germany, I'm exhausted after 2 :)

You probably covered more miles in Germany after 2 hours than in 4 hours in Croatia 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Core6

In terms of running costs the petrol 3 cylinder engine will give 46 mpg (according to HonestJohn) or 5.1 litres per 100km .

If an owner was to do 15,000km in a year @ a cost of €1.70 per litre that would cost €1,300.

The same mileage on my Model 3 cost me just over €300. That is mostly charging at home with a few uses of public chargers but I don't have PV solar panels.

Saving €1,000 (or more) per annum on 'fuel' comparing petrol against electric changes the financial metrics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you actually cared about financials you wouldn't buy a new car though - even pre EV it was never financially a 'good move' to buy a new car.

And you likely could buy a new petrol car with required range for much cheaper than an EV with required range, because batteries are expensive. Fuel tanks less so.

The cost conscious consumer is more likely to buy 2nd hand, which is where EVs would do well except there isn't enough supply because there aren't enough being introduced into the market through new car purchases. 15% of the market this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Have to say, if I had to pick a car for a competition to see how far you go a 1.0 wouldn't really what I'd pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭User1998

You’d be surprised with the amount of people in Ireland who will spend €50,000 to save €20 per week in fuel costs, or spending €1,000’s more on a particular car to save €200 a year in road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Old diesel

A bit of context here.

The Model 3 Long Range did 293 miles on the test.

If I put in a Clonakilty (West Cork) to Dublin Airport into the default settings for a Better Route Planner using the Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

The projected charging time is 25 mins for the TOTAL round trip of 634 kms.

It also has you leaving Dublin Airport at 40 percent and needing one 14 min stop to get back to Clonakilty.

Looking at the projected percentages used for each leg of the trip - its clear that ABRP is projecting a range of 270 to 280. Which is less then What Cars test result.

The reality is that modern EVs are more capable then many critics realise.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭micks_address

There is a slight flaw in the argument a car/driver only needs to do 400km daily.. if you have a passenger who also drives then it's quite possible you might want to switch over and go further if doing a long journey.

That said saying a 17k Dacia makes more financial sense than a 60k EV is pointless.. buy what you want.. not what you need. I do wonder about what my 2 year old EV will be like in ten years. I'll hopefully change it next year. It's the curse of being an early adopter. You're always chasing something just a little bit better

Also anyone that argues that EVs are more convenient to refuel are somewhat looking at it through rose tinted glasses.. charging at home is class at 5.5 cents kWh but there's no getting away from the **** show lottery of broken down chargers, queues and availability of the public network. The thing that annoys me is we usually bring the car on holidays when by it's nature you want to relax.. you don't need the added hassle of planning your meals or stays or routes around EV chargers.. sounds like I have buyers remorse.. again for 99% of the time it's a non issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I find myself agreeing with you more times than not recently, but you or maybe another poster in the bargain thread pointed out that charging by solar is not really free anymore with over 20c fit per unit.

How is solar not free? Sure it makes more sense to export and get paid more than it costs to import from the grid.. of course you need solar panels and a charger that supports solar excess charging

I'll be honest, one of the main factors I got my id3 in 2021 was because we have free charging in work, I also presume a lot more people do too.

We've done 70k on ours now or 23k a year, over 10 years I'd expect to save close to 20k on fuel alone.

I'll take that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The "more convenient to refuel or not" thing is something massively impacted by the usage pattern of the car.

I personally prefer plugging in a car at home to visiting petrol stations.

So I find the EV more convenient to use.

Others will be different

Because some providers like Energia have a very cheap nightly rate now that makes charging them cheaper than charging when you could be exporting

Indeed. I now never charge my car from solar anymore myself. Instead I charge at night for 5c / kWh and I export all my solar and get paid 25c / kWh for that. But that is only since I got my smart meter. Before that, I didn't get paid for anything I exported, so charging from solar PV was free. Also many people with solar PV do not have an "official" install, so even if they had a smart meter, they wouldn't get paid for export. For those people, charging from solar is also free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Casati

One thing that is so stupid is that a desire for say a range of 600km doesn’t mean that the driver wants to or has to do 600km without stopping - my typical drive to Dublin is 320km and I might have to stop en route for a meeting, and then complete the drive to Dublin. I might stay for a few days before returning, but I have no option of charging at my destination so would have to high speed charge twice.

Main issue with that is 1. 70/80 cent per unit cost and 2. Extra time needed to stop and potentially queue etc. Inc time to get off motorway, find a charger and queue and connect is likely to be 30 mins each way. That extra hour is basically an hours labour cost to me - if I do 40 trips a year that a weeks holidays.

I don’t have any bladder or concentration issues that some EV drivers seem to have, so don’t need to stop on what is usually a 3hr/ 3.5hr mostly motorway driving, though in fairness I do often have planned stops - just not at high speed chargers.

Comparison is always made to charging at home in a super cheap 3 hour rate- but nobody ever acknowledges that such low rates are only possible if you subsidise your car charging with super expensive rates for everything else you use during the day. Using solar for free is even worse as it means opportunity cost of selling back to the grid is ignored. Obviously edge cases who have unreal solar and battery storage might charge for free but there are lads with free diesel in work so best ignore them too.

Using my 12 hr night rate of 20 cent, versus diesel of 1.70 and economy of 20 units per 100km versus 5.2 units per 100km and 10% charging losses, I would save about €1100 pa on fuel. Alas add in motorway charging for even 30% of my driving and that drops to less than €500 quid saving.

Service cost and repair cost is the same as I’ll be buying a service pack with any car and trading within 3 years (like most other new car buyers do?)

With likely much higher depreciation buying a nice new EV is an option but one that would cost quite a bit more. With most EV’s drivers doing half my mileage I think it’s clear that most new EV owners but them because they want to, and not for any cost saving. No issue with that, but owners often get defensive for some reason.

If you are doing regular non stop 600 km journeys weekly and have no where to charge at either end. (which sounds like BS but lets assume its true) then don't buy an EV. Everything else is irrelevant. Not sure why you needed to write a novel to figure that out.

Its not an argument. Its based on studies of peoples driving patterns.

I'm not sure what people are going that two of them need to 400km+ daily non stop in the same car. That 100-140k a year.

Why would you assume it's BS? That's the problem with all of these threads... People pick out a single point and say everything else is irrelevant.. totally get the posters point.

I explained why. It's an insane amount of driving frequency for any car regardless of fuel or driver.

If you totally get it, then explain it. I can understand doing that journey once maybe twice a week. But daily?

That's more mileage than a taxi. At that kinda of mileage the fuels costs are massive, as is servicing, and depreciation. That will completely negate any journey time issues. Because the job will be driving, you don't have long enough at the destination to do anything before getting back in the car.

my point is why does it need to be explained? do we need to take this persons ice car off them and put them in jail? is it illegal to drive one or want to as opposed to an ev? people will make allowances for all sorts of things with their life choices and why not.. ive an ev and it suits me... im not trying to convince everyone i know im smarter than them and they are all idiots for those who are still driving a diesel or petrol car

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A lot of waffle there to be honest. 600km round trip and there’s no chargers at destination is laughable. Dublin is populated with 100’s of them.

EV not for you. Grand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

In Dublin for a few days yet the poster says there’s no charging options. That’s BS right there. And that’s only one point.

So you can't explain it either.

This isn't about life choices this is about giving daft examples that don't make any sense. Misinformation as such.

If someone doesn't want to drive an EV then don't. End of.

• Advertisement

I can think of loads of scenarios where an EV doesn't suit, don't have to make up some ridiculous one.

Advertisement