Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festivals you may not know

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've done 2 rock werchters and 2 pukkelpops ( both Belgium)

Pukkelpops has way more variety but possibly poorer organisation, at least in the camping side.

There are always a load of Irish people at RW

Hurricane in Germany I enjoyed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Folks, who's been to Green Man and how did ye travel? Ferry to Holyhead still leaves a fair drive. Anyone fly to Bristol? Seems to be coaches from there. Is that a good option? Any help much appreciated.

Post edited by Stillill42 on

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

I was considering this before EP moved their dates. Sail-Rail through Holyhead is the option I'd probably go for.

If you were flying Birmingham might be a better option than Bristol. The flight times fit better with the bus times and it looks like it might be easier to get to the coach station from the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Shoog

Went to Vantastical a few times, nice small festival but ran into issues recently and next year's will be the last one ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭SteM

We had looked into it before and it were planning ferry from Rosslare to Pembroke Dock and drive across from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭mgkelly

Off to Bearded Theory in short number of weeks. Ferry overnight on Thu, Belfast-Liverpool, then drive to Derbyshire. Very much looking forward to it. Really, the first festival I've gone to outside the island of Ireland, so be interested to see if this type of outing is worth it. Been to Hyde Park a couple of times - The Cure & Pearl Jam. Saw Sigur Ros in MSG, NY, one time. But no festivals. So, here goes!

Will report back!

Cheers for the Green Man feedback lads. None of those options look straightforward. Holyhead a couple of hours on ferry, then a good 3 or 4 hours at least the other side, even Pembroke a couple of hours after the ferry and the initial spin from Dublin to Rosslare. Bristol only 60 odd miles away, an hour and a bit on the bus, 40 quid return. These things can be different in practice that on paper I know, so absolutely open to correction.

Would love to hear about that, mg. Looks like a really interesting little festival.

Apologies for quoting myself. I should have said that I'm likely not looking to bring a tent. Very reasonable prepitched options, 95 yoyos for a 1-2 man tent, less than 400 for a 4-6 man, used the same one at EOTR last year, perfect for 4 of us. I'd just be schlepping the mat and sleeping bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mcdonut

15 years since we went. Ferry to Holyhead and my friend drove down. Both times we went we arrived on the Thursday evening.

It's a great festival. I wouldn't mind going again some year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Are you planning for next year? This year is sold out.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

It is but the good folk on efestivals assure me that there's always loads of availability on the resale site from late July. As there was with a sold out EOTR last year. I'd be confident enough.

Ah right. Didn't realise either of them had a resale.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

I think you should give more consideration to flying through Birmingham. You arrived arrive on site 30 minutes later but have significantly cheaper flights and an easier transfer between airport and bus station.

Although it's only an option if you're traveling on the Thursday so maybe doesn't suit for that reason.

Post edited by CoffeeImpala on

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

@Stillill42 only seeing all this now, I've been going to Green Man since 2015 and every year we get the ferry from Rosslare to Pembroke as we bring all our gear over. It's part of the summer now to go to Rosslare the night before, early ferry over and arrive on site around 3ish. I would absolutely 100% NOT recommend Holyhead, the drive through Wales is very bad, the roads are really pretty minor, some smaller than our N roads. The festival is similar to ATN in that you can bring your cans everywhere (they might ask you to put an open can on walking in in your cup but that's the height of it) so having the car for the beer run is handy beforehand :)

In general it's very similar to ATN, the vibe, the beautiful setting, bit of craic about it - the only thing it's missing is a good wooded area but you'll get over that.

We have friends who go from Bristol and quite often get the bus and seemingly all good and no major hassle in it. Bristol airport is very easy as well so big advantages.

Tickets come on sale on Fanticks regularly, I've never seen anyone on eFestival be disappointed at not getting one.

Ah brilliant, Corkclaire82, that's just what I'm looking for. Cheers.

• Advertisement

According to the FAQs Green Man doesn't operate a free flow policy. Is this something they just ignore then?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

Yep, one time we were stopped going in as we had a can each open and the steward told us put it in our cups (they have a system there where you pay £1 for your cup and basically use that or swap out all weekend) and we went on our way into the arena. Bag full of cans as well.

June bank holiday weekend. €50 for both days or €35 for one.

Just in case anyone was thinking about Green Man and dubious about the ticket situation, I've a notification set up.on Fanticks and there've been 2 up already today. Now they were multi ticket packs, you know, 1 adult + 1 student + 1 carpark so I didn't pull the trigger but yeah, I figure there'll be no bother picking one up.

Advertisement