Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Wales. Sat 24th Feb, 14:15 RTÉ2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bellmeister

Ireland do lack a game breaker if they ever find themselves behind like in the world cup. They may well never go behind in this years six nations but they do have attacking flaws, which is why they failed at the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thamus doku

Italy and wales are two very poor teams , would not be surprised if Italy beat wales.

if we are all being honest ireland Should be beating both by minimum 40 points.

England and Scotland are also bang average, England offer nothing but bish bosh and kick and Scotland are very average 1 to 8 and both have weak benches

we should be beating both by twenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Like calling "Use it" when the ball was at the feet of the 8, during a forward moving scrum?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I think we have one, he's just injured. You put Mack back into that team and there's a lot more bite in that backline.

It was an interesting match for Crowley and Frawley - felt like with Keenan out, Farrell went for a very different approach and settled particularly in the second half into a two playmakers approach, but it was a mixed bag. First of all, it left us very exposed in the back field, which a better team (or England) would exploit more effectively. And while it gave both of them a bit more license on the role they played, I think it simplified our attack a bit as a result. Except for Crowleys couple of cross fields, it felt like mostly one out passes off first receiver, no pull backs, switches or much of the multi-layered attack you normally expect of Ireland. So instead you saw a lot of us just winning the collisions, and occasionally a long pass out wide which it felt we didn't really have the pace to capitalize on.

....and we still got a bonus point. So can't complain really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It will take a great performance to beat England by 20 at Twickenham.

That said I have a feeling that Ireland will really turn up in that game so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ireland also has fewer losses since the 2021 Six Nations than the United Kingdom has had Prime Ministers.

Wales are an excellent team defensively, have always given us trouble (often beating us), put in a great display today and we still got a bonus point win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Of the 240 minutes Ireland has played in this year's 6N so far, the opposition have been level with us for a cumulative 19 minutes (the first 6 or 7 minutes of each game), outside which Ireland has been leading.

The quest for the Perfect Slam continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The period of Beirne's card was wild, just kept going and going in possession without a stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Another match thread full of Irish fans bitching about the ref despite Ireland getting a bonus point win by 20 plus points without getting out of 3rd gear.

The ref was fine especially considering this was his first 6N match. I say well done to him. I think he's generally a good ref. He got the big calls right.

Beirne was on the side of the maul, changed his bind onto the ball carrier and collapsed. 100% penalty try and YC.

Ryan wasn't back 10m, professional foul = YC.

Aki try. There was a knock on by Henshaw which was a shame as Baird's touch was class. Thought Lowe's offload to JGP earlier in that move was forward but too many phases back.

Ref could have given a YC after Frawley's try but it's pretty rare that refs do that. Would love to see it more often.

He could have given Wales a yellow in the first half but that wasn't the reason Ireland weren't 10 to 12 points further ahead at halftime. The reason was Ireland were sloppy.

Ireland should've come out and buried them after halftime but they seemed to lack intensity. Much better in the final 15-20 minutes. Overall a decent performance and did enough to get the job done. I expect the focus and intensity to much, much higher in Twickenham. And I think Ireland will have too much for England.

The ref was fine especially considering this was his first 6N match. I say well done to him. I think he's generally a good ref. He got the big calls right.

💯

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ref could have given a YC after Frawley's try but it's pretty rare that refs do that. Would love to see it more often.

It is rare enough yes, but he should have given it before then. It is a massive bugbear of mine that refs just forget about or reset a warning they have given after halftime, or after a significant period of time has elapsed.

Ireland were sloppy, though Wales' aggressive linespeed was a large part of that which was impressive and they did what Gatland said they would set out to do. But it all too often resulted in offsides and infringements at the ruck which were correctly penalised. But the yellow cards exist for a reason and they 100% should have been shown one. I would give a fan a pass for getting frustrated when Ireland then see two (deserved) cards, particularly when a lot of the complaining was when the game was still in the balance.

That aside I thought he was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

In the middle of that was a kick by wainright that was as good as any international 10 would have made.

Worth watching back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

I do think our discipline on defense will be a point of focus within the group. We’ve came out on the wrong side of the penalty count in each of the opening 3 games. That’s despite the fact we’ve been so dominant in attack winning those games by 21 points or more. But it seems like the ref is more stricter on reffing our D or maybe our discipline needs to improve. Either way, teams like Wales or England that are very limited in attack almost need a string of 3 or 4 penalties in a row to score a try from 5m out. I didn’t think at any stage Wales today were going to to string a set of phases from say 30m and go in for a try.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Think we are the most penalised team in the competition at this point? It's utterly insane we've only conceded 24 points so far with that background. Would be curious to see the breakdown of the penalties - we've tried to be more aggressive in defence and perhaps that is leading to it.

It is certainly one of those things you get away with til you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I hate yellow cards, think the game is being decided by yellows and even worse with reds. I hate to see my own team and even the opposition get them. A red card early and I'll bring the dogs for a walk.

I don't know what the alternative is though, there'd be messing all over the place with professional fouls. Maybe more of a player led punishment, needs to be replaced and miss next match or something crazy like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

Yes just ahead of Scotland, though their second half with Wales boosts those numbers. But your point about Ireland’s aggression is fair, looking at the rugbypass website, Ireland has the most turnovers in the tournament so far. I think though sometimes Ireland can strike a better balance, especially coming up against a blunt attack. There is nothing wrong with letting them go through a few phases if they are not going anywhere. No need to force it. But I’m not going to complain either, we’ve only conceded 24 points too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Am I hallucinating again or do Crowley’s place kicks sound ‘off’, like some of the air has been let out of the ball?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

He hits them very low and I can definitely see one or two being blocked down in the future. His kicking to touch out of hands is brilliant though. A lot more aggressive than Sexton in that regard, and really makes it an easy decision to go to the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I can see why it has taken so long for an Italian referee to get a look in, because normally I guess they would give new referees an Italy game which tend to be low profile.

I think he was a bit unlucky and I don't think he will be officially rated too badly for that performance. The yellow card issue was what you might see from more experience referees as well. Ireland scored the try and the interference did not stop a try on that phase. The Ireland interference arguably did stop a try so had to be a yellow. Wales committed offences at the right times before we got close to the line, maybe. I just think he got a bit unlucky on the day to end up being the villain of the piece.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

10 laps and 50 pushups and you can come back on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

Haha. I do enjoy reading your weekly after match bitch about Ireland fans bitching. Every week without fail.

Mind you Gatland seems to agree with the bitching Irish fans about the competence of the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭CptMonkey

The hand in the ruck from Wales should have been a yellow. It was as cynical as the tackle we made that resulted in our second yellow. But nothing. So to me the ref seemed a little biased against us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You're welcome. Happy to bring you some joy 😁

And I don't really pay attention to anything Gatland says.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He was fine for the most part. I think we scored after three consecutive penalty advantages inside their 22 in the second half, one was a particularly egregious playing the ball on the ground while we were swarming through that was as nailed on a yellow as you'll see. For his first outing he did okay but his review will definitely highlight some issues, like going to the TMO before making an infield decision and going back multiple phases for a knock-on to rule out a try but he'll learn from it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

Haha. Indeed. IMHO I thought the ref was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭ersatz

France are a complete mess in the Italy game. They are a shadow of the pre WC team, no ideas whatsoever. Italy defending like a team with the lives on the line. If they keep France out til 1/2 time this could be their big chance.

Advertisement