Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a Rifle

Options
  • 14-02-2024 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I’m importing a rifle from the North, does the rifle need to be in the country on the system before I apply for my licence?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

No, just a letter or note from the dealer you are importing it from stating make, model, serial number etc and noting that dealer as the source on the application.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vizzla

That may not be the case.

Previously I have submitted a licence application before the gun arrived in the state and was delayed.

The licence can not be applied for until at least the import permit has been granted to the rfd as only then will the firearm be existent on the Irish system of records.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CharlieR

Thanks for the info

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Your application may well have been delayed, but it had nothing to do with the import permit. Probably due to a FO who had no clue.

Importing as an individual you need to have your licence before the import permit, and I have imported numerous firearms at this point, always had my licence before the import permit was granted. This was both importing as an individual and through a dealer.

Hell, you go into an rfd to get a gun they don't have in stock they will be able to get you a serial number to apply for the licence before the import permit is applied for, let alone approved.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ve just gone through the process for a pistol.

1. Fill in FCA form as normal.
    2. in the section where you put in the sellers details, you input them but state they are outside the state so no pulse number.
    3. Include a copy of the invoice if possible. I do. It may help.
    4. Once the licence is granted, you use that to apply for the import licence online. It will be approved within a week.
    5. Send the import approval to the seller and meet them this side of the border to avoid getting a tourist permit thing to travel through NI if possible.

Are you buying private or from a dealer? Who is the dealer?

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the info. It’s Outdoor & Country Sports in Coleraine. I am getting a bit worried as I’ve been chasing him for a picture of the serial number and of the whole gun for a week without joy. Going to try and get an invoice off him on Tuesday.

The super wants the photos to approve the application, hoping this time when I’ve explained the weight classes they approve the 2nd .22 I want.

I’ve never had to provide a photo but I’ve always given the invoice with the application alright. And that would have the serial number on it.

was the rifle advertised on their site or anything? You might be able to see the serial in the site picture?

I have pictures from the website but not of the serial number. For the last 2 applications they have insisted on photos and I had the receipts for both.

Had to provide photos of the safe in its position and pictures of the bolts and structure bolted to.

The pictures don’t show the serial number on the barrel only the ticket. I’ll chase him again tomorrow, but shocking service really.

Ive found the NI lads a bit slow to respond alright. But your Super is looking for alot of info.

He always does but have a good reason this time why I want a 2nd .22

• Advertisement

Finally got my licence for my Anscutz, do I just need an IMP4 form to import it?

Thanks

Charlie

Post edited by CharlieR on

Where are you importing from?

I imported recently from NI and the DoJ told me to use the EU Form (IMP1).

I emailed a copy of the form and licence on the Tuesday morning and I had the import licence in my letterbox by the Thursday.

I then arranged to meet the seller and he handed me the Pistol and I gave him the import form. I kept scan of it for my own records. I also gave him a copy of the licence for his records.

Advertisement